Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealer kerbs your alloy - your response?

Options
  • 04-11-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭

Sooooooooo my car was in for a warranty issue and while there, one of the alloys was kerbed in three places. Dealer didn't argue and said it would be repaired FOC.

After some thinking about it at the weekend and having experienced repaired alloys before (the finish, the attempt to match the actual original colour of the wheel, the wear on the added paint over time especially using an alloy cleaner) I've demanded a new alloy instead of a repair job in a strongly worded email I sent to the guy I was dealing with.

What would you do lads?

(I have a list of emails for customer service people in BMW Ireland and they'll be getting a copy soon if I don't hear anything along the lines of what I want.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

MarkN wrote: »
    I've demanded a new alloy instead of a repair job.

Thats really the only option. What was the dealers response?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

6th wrote: »
    Thats really the only option. What was the dealers response?

Haven't had one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The colour can be matched, and assuming they use a decent bodyshop, then the repair should last long enough for you not to notice.

But in saying that, i'd probably ask for a new one too. What i will say is make sure they don't replace the OE wheel with a replica wheel. I know of a few main dealers that buy in replicas to replace wheels on stock cars. They may be tempted to put one on your car if they have one laying around...

If I get a response out of them along what I want I'll be warning them that I'm well wise to replicas.

I am aware of places that do very good jobs on wheels, they don't pull up to dealer forecorts and do them in the back of a van though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

After some thinking about it at the weekend and having experienced repaired alloys before (the finish, the attempt to match the actual original colour of the wheel, the wear on the added paint over time especially using an alloy cleaner)

Will you have your car that long? :)

Personally I would look for a new wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

If I get a response out of them along what I want I'll be warning them that I'm well wise to replicas.

I am aware of places that do very good jobs on wheels, they don't pull up to dealer forecorts and do them in the back of a van though.

I'd advise you not to mention anything about replicas. You may actually give them the idea and someone down the line might get stung with a replica.

You could however, say the same thing by mentioning something like "....when my original equipment wheel comes in, please call me". When you go in then, ask for the invoice for the wheel that shows the part number. You can check behind the scenes then if it's oe or not. Or check the wheel itself when you drop the car off.

But yes, you were right to ask for a new wheel.

Think you're right Alan, I had thought of the invoice with the part number would be a smart way of checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Sorry to go slightly OT, but is there any place in the Dublin/Kildare area you could recommend for cosmetic work on wheels-I have had buckled alloys repaired before, but if I am going to spend money on 'touch-up' I would like to know where's the best place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Contact the parts dept today as a completely separate query and get the part number for the wheel.
    Then you have something to check the invoice against, or even better you can say that you want the wheel replaced with [part number] - leave no room for wiggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Or you could get the part number in advance from here...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Sorry to go slightly OT, but is there any place in the Dublin/Kildare area you could recommend for cosmetic work on wheels-I have had buckled alloys repaired before, but if I am going to spend money on 'touch-up' I would like to know where's the best place?

I've had Collins Engineering in Bray recommended by two people but I've not actually used them yet (need to appropriate a suitably sized wheel so I can use the car while the kerbed one is away). Should know in a week or two.

Robbie cheers for that link, very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I dropped my car in to this place this morning in Sandyford:

http://www.dialadent.ie/faq.htm

I'll let ya know in approximately 3 hours how good they are! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi Mark, TBH I would call them or better still call in person to the dealer. An e-mail can be ignored, missed, viewed as not serious.

BTW I would insist on a new wheel, also I believe no dealer would resort to a replica alloy, not a chance, especially when they know you personally have a keen interest in cars.
    Call into them for a speedy resolution, hold your head too. The guy that did the damage is most likely not he guy that you will be dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Accept noting but a brand new wheel. You are entitled to have the car returned to you in the same condition as when you gave it to the garage. A damaged wheel reduces the value of the car, even with the repair. Stick to your guns, you are well within your rights to demand a new wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

MYOB wrote: »
    I've had Collins Engineering in Bray recommended by two people but I've not actually used them yet (need to appropriate a suitably sized wheel so I can use the car while the kerbed one is away). Should know in a week or two.

Used them for a repair before alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I wouldn't imagine a BMW dealer resolving this with a replica wheel. Just ask for a new wheel, end of problem. This endless cynicism is unnecessary to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine a BMW dealer resolving this with a replica wheel. Just ask for a new wheel, end of problem. This endless cynicism is unnecessary to be honest...

There has been a couple of posts saying not to accept replica wheels, lads the is not such thing as a BMW, AUDI, FORD, VW etc alloy. They are made by seperate companies. These replica alloys you talk about are supplied to various wholesalers around the country. Soem of whom supply Main dealers with Alloys as OE.

As for damaging the wheel, if they damaged the car would you expect a new car or your current car to be repaired the standard it was before it was damaged?

Oldman - factory fit alloys are not supplied by anyone but OEM manufacturers. If they are different brand wheels then they'll be from BBS or the likes, the GTI 18" Monzas for example are a BBS wheel produced exclusively for VW.

Your average 80k BMW doesn't come with a set of alloys from "wheels-direct.ie out in Ballycoolin Ind. Est".

And on your other question, why should I accept a repair job?

If someone dented my door in a dealers I wouldn't want it panel beated, I'd want a new door.

Due to the cost involved, a new car is unreasonable, a new alloy is not IMO - and it seems everyone else who has replied thinks the same, bar you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

There has been a couple of posts saying not to accept replica wheels, lads the is not such thing as a BMW, AUDI, FORD, VW etc alloy. They are made by seperate companies. These replica alloys you talk about are supplied to various wholesalers around the country. Soem of whom supply Main dealers with Alloys as OE.

As for damaging the wheel, if they damaged the car would you expect a new car or your current car to be repaired the standard it was before it was damaged?

Good point, unfortunately you'll waste your energy trying to get that message across here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I believe a new wheel is a reasonable request.

I do not believe a request for a new is reasonable, nobody does.

Also there are replica wheel version of most of the BMW alloys, they are definitely not the same thing!! Side by side a replica version of a BMW wheel is quite different looking (enough to avoid patent infringement), never mind the composition of the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I believe a new wheel is a reasonable request.
    Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Sooooooooo my car was in for a warranty issue and while there, one of the alloys was kerbed in three places. Dealer didn't argue and said it would be repaired FOC.

After some thinking about it at the weekend and having experienced repaired alloys before (the finish, the attempt to match the actual original colour of the wheel, the wear on the added paint over time especially using an alloy cleaner) I've demanded a new alloy instead of a repair job in a strongly worded email I sent to the guy I was dealing with.

What would you do lads?

(I have a list of emails for customer service people in BMW Ireland and they'll be getting a copy soon if I don't hear anything along the lines of what I want.)

give him the greif he gives you:

oh that wheel has to be replace so the wheel, costs say 100 euro, im going to charge you 200... the cost of me collecting it, lunch and petrol not included... Have a nice day....

Always get your own back on em whenever possable. :P

Oldman - factory fit alloys are not supplied by anyone but OEM manufacturers. If

OEM also sell to third pary wholesale, I know, it is my job.

As for the comment about repair v's replace, it depends on the damage done. If the wheel is only marked slightly then a repair should be good enough, if the wheel is badly damaged then a replacement.

TBH, it is up to you if you want a replacement or not. it all depends on what the garage offer / give. Good luck either way.

That's odd, I've never heard of anywhere selling OEM wheels, always reps in my time buying wheels but I'll take your word for it if you say it's true.

I think a 19" BMW alloy that was unmarked and now has three of them is worthy of replacement anyway, hence why I asked.

Followed up with a call to the dealer, I didn't have a negative response so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Used them for a repair before alright.

Picked up the car - fantastic job by the looks of it.
    One word ......

SHINY! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Have you checked your tyre? On lower profile tyres I managed to pierce the side wall but the wheel itself was fine

That's odd, I've never heard of anywhere selling OEM wheels, always reps in my time buying wheels but I'll take your word for it if you say it's true.

I think a 19" BMW alloy that was unmarked and now has three of them is worthy of replacement anyway, hence why I asked.

Followed up with a call to the dealer, I didn't have a negative response so we'll see.

I think there is an issue with actually saying that they are OE alloys / Parts, but I know that most, if not all, of decent alloys are made by OE suppliers. All OE parts are re-badged "spurious" parts.

However, like every other product in life, there is cheap rip off parts available that will last until the warrenty ends, if your lucky..

Hope you get it sorted.

Advertisement