Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing yellow dog "from" a usb drive

• 04-11-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Hey, I got myself a ps3, and am installing Yellow Dog Linux on it (because there is plenty of support for it and I'm newish to Linux)

Anyway, I've a laptop with a broken CD-Rom drive. I tried for ages to install the yellow dog linux over PXE, but couldn't get the "server" working to distribute the iso.

So finally I'm going to try to insall Linux from a thumb drive, but all I'm getting online is install Linux to a thumb drive.

I know from trying that copying the iso to the thumb drive and then later on trying to copy the root files to the thumb drive doesn't work. I assume I need to do more. The laptop will boot to the thumb drive, but currently "no operating system files" are found.

The reason I'm going for yellow dog on the laptop is because it will be the same as whats on the laptop... otherwise I would have gone for ubutu, which seems to be more documented.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ubuntu has a nice feature where it will create a usb startup disk. That should do it for you I think. I'm going to try it now actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

this will do what you are looking for, available in both windows & linux flavours.

Advertisement