Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best sounding engine / car - your thoughts please

Options
  • 04-11-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

After having a few scoobies back in the day, still love the sound of the EJ20 / EJ25, especially on full whack....:D :D

Another favourite is the BMW e39 530d idling (Wierd:o )..

So whats yours ?? .. Throw up a link so we can appreciate ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anything V8 with a good throaty grumble, and my Cooper S Works - the supercharger's whine is really addictive. No links I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Diablo 6.0
    Murcielago
    Gallardo with a tubi exhaust
    Carrera GT
    Enzo
    Ford GT
    And I'll throw my V6 Alfa in there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I saw, and heard, a TVR Tuscan the other day. It was awesome. It made my car sound like a pussy cat. I would be really tempted to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My personal favourite at the moment is the Audi R8, they're a common sight around here and every time one passes it gives me the horn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

For me it has to be the RX8 in the 6-9K rev range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The NSX is by far the best 6 cylinder sound I've ever heard. V8 Ferrari's sound good too. Audi Quattro is a sound I love! That off-beat 5 cylinder 80's sound! A V10 Gallardo sounded fantastic when I heard one taking off at full whack from the Lambo factory in Italy. V10 F1 cars sounded awesome, the V8's sound polite and high-pitched in comparison, don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

For me it has to be the RX8 in the 6-9K rev range.

You should hear mine with the de-cat and S/S sports exhaust system :D

I do like V6 and I6 engines for sound too though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have to say a big thing for me is the sound of an engine, being brought up in a car mad family where we used to compete to guess the make and model of a car just by hearing it pass by our house !
    But having stood by as a line of cars ranging from a F430 to a Buggatti Veyron in Monaco screamed by earlier this year I would have to say the Murciélago sounds totally amazing.

As it comes down the road it sounds like something truly evil is about to happen - you can feel it in your chest cavity as much as hear it.

Btw - Its when my then girlfriend told me she preferred the sound of my brothers Alfa Duetto to my Mazda MX5 that I decided she was the woman I would eventually marry !

She had a point too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Plus one to Ned78 on the S Works. I love the note of the supercharger whining in response to enthuiastic revving, then comes the best bit, the gurguling and popping from the exhaust as the revvs are returning to idle... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

///M5 all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Can't beat the turbo hiss off my old TDI 130PD with the window down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Ducati 1098.... gives me wood when one drives past. I know its a bike and not a car... but with a set of termignoni cans on it... oh my god ... incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

SL55AMG

V8 with Supercharger. Makes you come over a bit funny when you hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ned78 wrote: »
    Anything V8 with a good throaty grumble

Gets my vote too!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Gotta be the 993 Air Cooled Flat 6 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Top Fuel Drag Race cars at idle.

F1 cars under full load.

Most V8's.

All V10's

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Has to be my Passat TDI!! Closely followed by...

Zonda F -

and F40 -

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

How bout the isf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

RobAMerc wrote: »
    But having stood by as a line of cars ranging from a F430 to a Buggatti Veyron in Monaco screamed by earlier this year I would have to say the Murciélago sounds totally amazing.

As it comes down the road it sounds like something truly evil is about to happen - you can feel it in your chest cavity as much as hear it.

Yea it does sound amazing - I think the Veyron doesn't sound good at all, THE most underwhelming car ever. Performance is great but there's just no event to it... with a lambo, it's always an event!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

erm... my mates 85 vw jetta rally car sounds great imo but tbh

the e30 m3 Evo II is the best inside...

but outside it has to be the hamman tuned carrea 4 or a honda civic shuttle with its 8.75" custom back box.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

nice selection of girls engines

now

BRM V16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Surely it has to be the e46 M3 :rolleyes:
    oh, and my v-rod with powershot 2 exhaust system sounds friggin awesome too :D

I own some beautiful sounding machines :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

This http://www.carzone.ie/search/AC/Cobra/Recreati/200842190514478/advert

when it rumbled through our industrial estate last week.

Or an ex-collegue's, fathers E30 M3 with a straight through stainless steel pipe. You could sit in the office and pinpoint exactly where he was anywhere within the Sandyford Industrial Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Blue 850 got my first suggestion. Green-blood my second (recognise the soundtrack, btw ;) )

So, before I get beaten to it again:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=hEK7POxpVeE

Hey, I've just noticed one thing those 3 have in common: No airbags :D:D Ha ! - (ref recent other airbag post on here lately LOL ! )

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i drove a clapped out old f150 pick up in the states. sounded great though. especially beauce the exaust came out half way along the exaust pipe and not at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Plus one to Ned78 on the S Works. I love the note of the supercharger whining in response to enthuiastic revving, then comes the best bit, the gurguling and popping from the exhaust as the revvs are returning to idle... :D

Ooer. Cheers! It does fart and pop. Then fart and pop some more. Then a bit more in case you didn't hear it the first two times. Must be the reason it does about 20mpg, all that unburnt fuel in the exhaust :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

For me it has to be the Porsche aircooled flat six (or any aircooled engine really!), specifically the 993 Turbo S. I heard on of these at a track day in the US a few years ago, it sounds just amazing. I've also heard a 993C2S with straight pipes too, deafeningly beautiful! The 930 sounds pretty sexy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Drove a lambo Gallardo on a track in the UK in may, the sound was utterly terrifying inside the car but absolutly amazing at the same time, on the same day i drove a V8 Vantage and the sound to that was the best i'd ever heard, and a Ferrari 355, pure and raw, absolutely brill sounding machines but the Aston took it that day for noise.

But back in more normal car land, the RX8 is a fantastic sounding machine, also love the noise of a V-Tec.

Advertisement