Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Options
  • 04-11-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone play this? I got a loan of it for the PS3 and have played a few levels. First impressions were that it's a second-rate game but it has grown on me and I do like it.

I don't think it's particularly amazing but some of the game feats are entertaining. I particularly like using the Force Grip to lift enemies up and fire them at other enemies :) I've only recently been able to fire lightning from my fingers and it has come in useful. I like the fact that I'm working for the empire right now :)

Anyone got any views on the game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's another average game the gets by on a Star Wars licence. Even the Force Powers aren't that impressive and the old PS2 game Psi-Ops did a better job over manupulating object with 'the Force', offering much better puzzles and levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Beat it in three days which makes it a bit short - also the light saber and weapons don't feel very "meaty".. I liked it anyways (i like starwars) but when you compare it to jedi outcast or even the less good jedi academy sequel it's pretty bogey, the light saber fights with other jedis are rubbish, and that was the strongest part of jedi outcast.. I liked it anyways though, which means that lucasarts will just keep on churning out star wars crap thats barely passable for the fan base :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This is what I thought of the demo on the 360
    Oh christ the lock on system sucks donkey balls

I liked the powers and the saber style, holding the thing like he does is cool too

Just really hated the lock on system, found it crap, tried it in toggle and hold and both were sh1t. There was no accuracy to attacking, it was shear brute force (no pun intended) all the way. Try to lock an enemy and half of the time you'd lock onto the chest/box/conveniently placed throwable object beside him and either shock, throw or grab that instead. Of course the box would still explode or fly through the air killing the guy but I felt I was not in complete control of the combat, it was not as fluid as I thought it should be.

Inability to move (even a very slow walk would do) while blocking (may change while levelling up), couldn't cycle through lockable objects, enemies, it seemed like luck who or what would be locked onto. These are just 2 things off the top of my head which annoyed me.

I did love the force powers and style of the movement/fighting, I just felt I couldn't apply them to the enemy as creatively as I would have liked

Would not buy this game as to me this type of game is all about the combat and it was not good enough to justify a purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

The first time I played through this game I thought it was an average game at best. Since I finished it that first time I have played through it 3 more and am itching to play it again (have to finish Dead Space, Farcry 2 and Fallout 3 first).
    There is somethign so much more satisfying in having all the force powers from the start and throwing storm troopers around never gets boring. Especially things like throwing them into carbonite containers on Cloud City, or trying to throw something to hit a Tie Fighter.
    Don't get me wrong, I still think it is an average game, both technically, graphically, and in execution, but it is so much fun that I can't help but enjoy playing the game despite it's faults.

Compare that with Far Cry 2 or Dead Space. Both games are bloody good, visually impressive and have good stories. I would say both of them are way better than Force Unleashed, but you know what, I probably won't play them again for a while once finished as they are just not that fun to be playing. And that is something that is sadly missing in a lot of recent high profile games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

One thing I didn't like (never have) and it's in Heavanly sword too is when you go to fight a boss (Jedi in this game), when it comes to the kill move, it's just a random 'repeatedly hit the same button as fast as possible' type of manoeuvre and I really get bored of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

r3nu4l wrote: »
    One thing I didn't like (never have) and it's in Heavanly sword too is when you go to fight a boss (Jedi in this game), when it comes to the kill move, it's just a random 'repeatedly hit the same button as fast as possible' type of manoeuvre and I really get bored of that.

The (not so) lovely Quick Time Events.

I am not a fan either, if I wanted to watch how a director imagined a fight scene, I'd rent a film. Some people like them though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Vegeta wrote: »
    The (not so) lovely Quick Time Events.

I am not a fan either, if I wanted to watch how a director imagined a fight scene, I'd rent a film. Some people like them though

Yeah I usually end up missing the fight scene as I'm concentrating on looking out for the next button prompt that's going to flash onto the screen for a millisecond

The game itself was average. They make you way too powerful coming up to the end. Most baddies could be easily defeated by just jumping up and using a full blast of force lightning.

After the novelty wore off it became a grind of moving through the levels, clearing areas and moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I liked it thought it was very entertaining for what it was. Didn't like how when you ramp up the difficulty the AI of the enimies doesn't improve, just the fact that they have more HP and seem to be immune to some of your attacks, they can interupt your combos but you can't with theirs, it made it very frustrating.

Still, the story was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

rizzla wrote: »
    Still, the story was great.

really? seriously?

For anyone interested, here is the final piece of dialogue from "The Force Unleashed"
    Rahm Kota: When he came to me in the bar. Amongst all his dark thoughts I glimpsed one bright spot. One beautiful thing he held onto, even at the end.
    Female Imperial Pilot (i.e. pointless love interest): What?
    Rahm Kota: You

I almost puked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

L31mr0d wrote: »
    really? seriously?

For anyone interested, here is the final piece of dialogue from "The Force Unleashed"
    Rahm Kota: When he came to me in the bar. Amongst all his dark thoughts I glimpsed one bright spot. One beautiful thing he held onto, even at the end.

I almost puked.

Yeah the dialogue is typical cheese, but that's just how Star Wars is. The way it tied the 2 trilogies together was really well done and also how
    the rebel alliance was formed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

L31mr0d wrote: »
    really? seriously?

I almost puked.

The only bit I thought was good was,
    after one of the scenes where Vader talks to the apprentice through the robot, the robot says "I hate being him", and the appprentice says "I think he does too".
    Besides that though, all the dialogue was pants, the gameplay was boring and things like
    in one level be able to pull a star destroyer down with the force, while in the next level being unable to lift an emperial impulse soldier or whatever the hell they where called
    where incredibly grating.

Anyone know if
    the jedi's apprentice (this one) is going to be the antagonist for the next game (and thats why after you let her live, you are warned about her being a problem and yet she never appears again)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 free games

I was going to wait until christmas, but I think I'm going to have to go out and buy it immediately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wrote a review here, but really thought the game was broken. There were a few moments of fun to be had (enclosed space + stormtroopers + force repulse = evil grin) but there was just too much lazy design to make it anything more than a mediocre mess. Decent Star Wars (ie cheesy, OTT space opera) story, but the gameplay could have used another year or two in development. The already infamous Star Destroyer level pretty much sums up the problems: good intentions, mind-boggingly inept execution (did the designers think timed waves of tie fighters would actually be fun?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I rather enjoyed it, thought the story fitted in well. some bits were tedious. Then again i'm a huge starwars nut.

Supposedly theres going to some downloadale levels and characters later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

How come it hasn't been released for the PC?

Advertisement