Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting a 00 CLK that will not turn over

Options
  • 04-11-2008 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

This is a good one -

MB in their wisdom stuck the battery in the boot and boot only opens via a switch in the car which needs some help from the battery!:D

I know the key should work in the boot but check online and you can see that people have tried in vain for hours and no success as have I.

I am thinking as it is my mother's motor to call the AA, explain to them the situation and basically get a home start for a few quid and then keep her running and take her to be serviced - the car not my mother!:D

Any opinions - car is stranded in my garage in Dundalk - if any one knows somebody local who might be able to help it'd be a bonus.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Do the back seats fold back allowing access to the boot? Not sure how much help that would be seeing as u still might not be able to open it from the inside, perhaps u could connect jump leads or power pack while inside the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Can you open the bonnet?

I'm not sure about MBs but BMWs also have the battery in the boot. In the engine compartment where the battery would be there's a sort of rod with a red cap covering it - this is a positive terminal. Any exposed part of the chassis can be used as the negative terminal in order to jump start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

robbie99 wrote: »
    Can you open the bonnet?

I'm not sure about MBs but BMWs also have the battery in the boot. In the engine compartment where the battery would be there's a sort of rod with a red cap covering it - this is a positive terminal. Any exposed part of the chassis can be used as the negative terminal in order to jump start.

My 02 W210 had a jump start connector, as you describe, on l.h. inner wing. I'd be surprised of the OP's car is any different.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

other options

Car Jump Start Plug Directly Into 12v Cigarette Lighter
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170275352643

Jump Start Cigarette Lighter To Cigarette Lighter Leads
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330281501434

Halfords probably have similar

N.B. these devices won't jumpstart you, rather they slowly charge your battery to a point where it will hopefully start (or at least release the boot)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can you open the bonnet?

+1

There should be a positive terminal under the bonnet. There's no need to get access directly to the battery, unless of course it needs to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Do the back seats fold back allowing access to the boot? Not sure how much help that would be seeing as u still might not be able to open it from the inside, perhaps u could connect jump leads or power pack while inside the boot.

The back seats do fold down but the mechanism for doing so is located in the boot!:D

Can you open the bonnet?

This is there all right - black square +'ve terminal. Now I read that you should not jump start from this item due to risk of frying the cars electrics. I think this could be used to give enough juice to open the boot but best to leave it at that!?

other options

Car Jump Start Plug Directly Into 12v Cigarette Lighter
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170275352643

Jump Start Cigarette Lighter To Cigarette Lighter Leads
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330281501434

Halfords probably have similar

N.B. these devices won't jumpstart you, rather they slowly charge your battery to a point where it will hopefully start (or at least release the boot)

Cheers mate, they look dead handy and could well work. Will see if Halfords have anything similar.

Good news is I got it going again - other good news is I did not get the boot open!

Apparently and I should heed the advice from here - is that one should never start the car from the battery in the boot - bad idea and that the terminal is there for a reason in the engine bay.

Anyway the old battery was knackered not holding a charge so new one installed at a cost of €90.00 and bad news is that the air conditioning runs on now even when car is turned off. I fear it needs a new regulator valve or similar which is not overly cheap.

I am giving it a few runs to see if it sorts itself out and if not then it'll have to be changed.

Advertisement