Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valuation

• 04-11-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I have no idea about swords or the value of them.
    I have been handed down 2 swords, to me they look like they might have a value on them.
    Is there a trustworthy dealer who would not rip me off on a valuation around Dublin?
    As I know nothing about them, it would be easy to rip me off...
    Thanks all.
    C.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

on the street beyond mary street, beyond the back of the jervis centre, there is a shop that sells lots of em, see what he offers you, and then add about 15-20% for a realistic value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Try checking www.eBay.uk for similar items. You could also do worse than bring them to an auctioneer e.g. Buckleys (Sandycove); Herman Wilkinson (Rathmines) or Joe Mullen (Laurel Park, Bray) and ask for their opinion. They are not going to be interested in ripping you off as it is in their interest to get you the best possible price at auction and they will tell you quickly enough whether something is worth selling.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dean

Cheers guy's,
    I'll do that & report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

If you post a few pictures I can tell you what the dealers at the Militaria fairs would be selling them for here in Ireland. Selling at auction has its costs and selling to the dealers at the fairs will not get you the best price. Years ago I used to sell antique swords at those same fairs and found them very hard to shift. What they want is swords from the Irish Army/Volunteers, Militia, Irish Regiments in the British Army. AOH and other Irish organisations.
    Enfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hi Enfield,

I have a Wilkinson Sword from WWII.
    A great uncle of mine fought with it. Any idea of a valuation.
    Same as picture linked.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

This is a 1907 patern SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) .303 rifle bayonet. The going rate on ebay starts at around £50. There should be lots of marking on it if you post them here I will tell you what they mean. They sell at the Dublin faird for around 90 euro
    Regards.
    Tom

Advertisement