Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an iPhone! 1 GB, is this sufficient?

• 04-11-2008 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I am getting an iphone with O2. I will be gettting the 700 mins (16GB model) option with 1GB of data, charged at 2c thereafter.

Could someone explain is 1GB alot? I would want to check my emails daily and some internet browsing.

Should I get more?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I have had my iphone for a couple of months, and would be a high user of data. I have only used about 350mb of cellular data.

Saying that, I use wifi when at home, and I think I would have used many times that at home, but obviously that is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I am getting an iphone with O2. I will be gettting the 700 mins (16GB model) option with 1GB of data, charged at 2c thereafter.

Could someone explain is 1GB alot? I would want to check my emails daily and some internet browsing.

Should I get more?

Checking e-mails and browsing doesn't use up that much, unless you're using the e-mail client and downloading mails directly to your phone that contain large attachments. 1GB should be fine. You'll know after the first month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Whether you get more or not really depends on your usage habits. For example if your only going to be browsing the internet, checking emails etc. 1gb should be more than sufficient. However if you intend on using youtube, downloading music/video then 1gb is going to run out very quickly indeed.
    Your just going to have to guesstimate how much your going to use. At home on my pc i could quite conceivably download 1gb within 20mins. So it's not all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Should I get more?

To put 1 GB into perspective for you, please see below:

1024 Kilobytes (KB) = 1 Megabyte (MB)
    1024 Megabytes (MB) = 1 Gigabyte (GB)

Average email size (text only) = 3 KB
    Average email size (text & images) = 15 KB
    Average MMS size = 30 KB
    Average web page size = 100 KB
    Average MP3 size = 4 MB

As the other users above mentioned, it all depends on your usage. You'll more than likely use a lot more during the first month, but the next few months, in my opinion, should be lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Or, you could ask O2 why it is only 1GB here and unlimited in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Or, you could ask O2 why it is only 1GB here and unlimited in the UK.
    What use would that be to him?

afaic - 1GB is as good as unlimited, unless you spend every waking hour on YouTube.

Advertisement