Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a PA system

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the ideal place for a question on a Live rig, but here goes.

I am planning to buy a PA system for gigs in pubs and bars etc, and have a couple of questions....

At the moment it is just 2 of us with acoustics, so 2 mic and 2 line is all for now, but we want to future proof ourselves, and get something that we can use for a larger set up, if we get some more people on board... and also if
    we need to play a bigger room

I hope to get the Powered Mixer, Speakers, Speaker stands and Cables for 800 euro max, but less if possible.

What kind of power is normally needed in a large pub?
    I assume 2 x 100w is not enough so have been looking at oones that can output > 200W with 8Ohm speakers (most seem to be 8Ohm, which zapps more power :D)

I've been on trusty old thomann and have spotted 2 I like,

Have people here if they have had any experience with either of these 2 powered desks:

THE T.MIX PM184X II
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/tmix_pm184x.htm

BEHRINGER PMP 3000
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_pmp_3000.htm

both pretty budget brands I know... but for similar power /size in brands like Yamaha etc... the price goes way up...

Also, if anyone can recommend a place in Dublin to get good second hand PA gear, that'd be great.

and finally, is there a big loss in sound if I use 12" PA Speakers over 15"... if they are still rated to take the power of the amp?

Any thoughts or advice welcome...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

For your budget Behringer and thomann is about all you'll get new. I have 2 PMX 184 and have had to send one back twice (it's stilll noisy). They are great for the price but crap if you know anything about anything else. Inbuilt FX, spare aux for a monitor, 8 inputs, phono in and out. You can even use the desk and amp independently.
    Have a set of Behringer 1540's (?) They are ok for DJ and Monitors but just don't have the sparkle for a set-up like yours. I would go with the T-box 502.
    There's a package on thomann for 689. No stands, mics or instrument leads though

C

Advertisement