Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excise Duty - Payment of Mineral Oil Tax on Heavy Oil (Diesel) used for Private Pleas

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/mineral-oil-tax-on-heavy-oil.pdf

From 1st November 2008, diesel used for “private pleasure navigation” is subject to mineral oil tax at the same rate as applies to auto diesel (currently €368.05 per 1,000 litre), instead of the reduced rate that applies to marked gas oil (currently €47.36 per 1,000 litre).

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Inside story here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I don't believe this - feckin asshats the lot of them.

I don't see how this is going to work with self declaration, who the hell is going to declare it if they aren't going to police it and there are no penalties???

madness...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

But if we don't declare, they will scrap this self declaration scheme and we'll just pay full rates at the pump regardless of what colour it is or how much we put into the tank...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I suppose some will declare - maybe that's all they want. It's unfair though.

I don't see how putting tax on at the pump would work either.
    Anyone with a big guzzler powerboat (and cop-on) will register them for charter and fall out of the net anyway.
    Commercial craft use the same pumps as pleasure boats so they'll either have to use different pumps or not sell to pleasure craft any more.

It's madness and hasn't been thought through at all.

I was talking to to a guy who had gone the commercial route and he regretted it very much. It took two (two!!) years for the Dept Marine to agree with the alterations and hoops he had to jump through to get it. It's not worth the hassle including full surveys every two years subsequently.

Commercial craft use tankers at the quayside not the pumps (AFAIK) and so I think it's the average boat owner that will pay the brunt of it.

• Advertisement

It must have been >12 passengers then, Commercial Shipping Act applies and yes, the hoops are many.
    If you keep it <12 then it's exempt and a lot simpler - that's why you see the 'maximum 12 occupants' signs on club launches etc.

edit: yes the trawlers / ferries use tankers but the smaller 'day trip' / fishing charter guys use the pumps.

Nope, was a 12 passenger licence, nearly broke his heart.

Harsh.
    What kind of boat was it?
    Was the hardship over all the safety stuff needed?

Advertisement