Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little Confused..

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a little confused the past few days.

I'm 24 and since I was 16 had a varied range of relationships with men and women. My best friend is gay and we had a few sneaky kisses when we were younger, I then met an older woman and then met men with whom I went out with long term.

I'm going out with a fantastic man for the past year and a half, he's perfect for me.

But, recently I've been accepting the fact that the idea of being with a woman turns me on phenomonly more than being with a man. I sat yesterday and watched lesbian videos o youtube and I couldnt believe how crazy I nearly went.

I think I've answered my own questions, I know I'm bi, I've never made an issue out of being with a woman because it always felt right, but I guess I would like someones opinion, maybe if you yourself is Bi and in a relationship with a man/woman, do you crave being with the other sex?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I saw an article that described 13 different types of bisexuality, and I know they missed at least one type. It's safe to say that sexuality is varied, and some bisexuals do want simultaneous relationships with both genders. In your case however, I think you need some time to adjust to what you've just realised before you can know what you really feel.

No matter what way you look at it, realising something new about your sexuality takes getting used to. The "shiny and new" aspect of your realisation is bound to make it seem very powerful at the moment. If you feel like it's a secret, that's going to have an affect also. I think if you give it some time and accept it as part of yourself, the feelings won't be so overpowering.

If you're in a longterm relationship with someone, only you can know if that's what makes you happy. I think the most important thing though is to tell you partner that you've realised you're bisexual. It might not seem relevant, but keeping secrets about your sexuality means you're bottling up your feelings and that's never good. Even if it's something as trivial as being able to admit you fancy a celebrity, everytime you want to say something but don't, it builds up inside you.

The awkward part is of course that this may freak them out and cause all sorts of jealousy/trust issues and the presumption that you suddenly don't want a monogamous relationship anymore. That's why you really need to sort the whole thing out for yourself first, so that you're not put on the spot with questions you haven't thought about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I agree with Dwn Wth Vwls (shocker I know :) ). Being with another woman is something new and unexplored for you, so of course the thought of it is going to be excited and exhilarating. You need to sit down and talk about your sexuality with your partner. Allot of people wouldn't be able to handle it, but maybe, if its handled right, he'll come around to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Dwn Wth Vwls ought to become an agony uncle.

My 2 cents is that there is a wide range of sexuality, a spectrum if you will, ranging from exclusively heterosexual to exclusively homosexual. One can be anywhere inbetween (In my own opinion, although I may be looking at the world through rainbow-tinted glasses, very few people fall at either extreme), and one can change over time, swerving all over the scale. One mustn't worry too much about it, and just enjoy the wonders of bisexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

IMO very few of us can handle non-monogamous successful relationships but if you can I agree that honesty is central to it.

Good luck, and do let us know how things work out for you

Advertisement