Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getcover.com

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Been using Getcover for travel insurance for the last 5 years or so. Easy to apply for, helpful things like texting you your policy details. It's all great, until you need them. Their emergency assistance was worse than useless, and claiming my money back afterward took 13 weeks. Sorry for the essay here.

Was away during the summer when my gf suffered a family bereavement. Headed straight for the airport, contacted the emergency number, told them the situation. In the meantime was asking around the airport myself - was one direct flight to Ireland going much later, but could get no info on it. Got offered a standby on a flight to the UK, which would be too late to make a connection home that night. Emergency crowd rang back, told them all this, they said they'd check out the Ireland flight. they rang back a few mins later, said they could find no info on it, and to get the UK flight. In the meantime, they'd book us on a Ryanair flight at 6am the next morning. Gave them all our info.

Arrived in the UK, luckily happened to check with the Ryanair desk in the airport. They'd booked me for the next day, but not my gf. Rang emergency number again. They had to go off and check with their 'travel department' , then rang back admitting they'd forgotten to book her on. At that stage I said I'd do it myself but couldn't find a working internet terminal, so had to go back to them again. And again. Eventually at 10pm, about 11 hours after I first rang them, they called me to say we were both booked for the next day. None of this was helping my gf, who was upset enough as it was, without being in doubt as to whether she was getting home.

When I checked my next credit card bill, I found two entries I didn't recognise for 37 euro each. Googled the company name, it's a UK corporate travel company. So the emergency assistance people didn't even have their own 'travel department', they just passed it on to a travel agency, and couldn't even do that properly.

Submitted my claim a few weeks later. After about 6 weeks, was wondering what was happening. Rang Getcover, gave my claim details, was told they'd check it out and call me back. They never did. Rang again a week later. Was told very apologetically that my claim had been misfiled and would be processed that day.

Rang back again two weeks later, again told I'd be called back, wasn't. Rang a few days later, this time I actually was called back, to be told my claim had been approved and a cheque would be posted tomorrow.

Another two weeks, no cheque. Rang again. Got the whole spiel about how my case had been misfiled, pointed out that I'd been told this 6 weeks beforehand. Was told acheuq would be posted that day - pointed out they'd promised that 2 weeks earlier. They also lied about when they received my claim - I'd registered it, so I know when they got it.

Eventually got my cheque yesterday, almost 13 weeks after I submitted the claim, 6 weeks after they claimed it had been misfiled and would be processed immediately. Their emergency assistance was poor and claims processing utterly incompetent, and definitely not the people you want to be dealing with in an emergency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I find all insurances companies are a pain to get anything out of.. their whole process is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Used this crowd before: http://www.acetravelinsurance.ie One of my aunts swears by them: she does a lot of travelling, so used them myself. One thing to note: use them directly, as it costs more if you use them through AIB :eek: Didn't have to "use" them (no accidents, etc), but couldn't find any bad things about them when I looked them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Really surprised to hear your story about Get Cover. Like you I have been with them for about 5 years now, and had a similar situation two Summers ago. Thankfully I ran into no problems, found them very helpful and quick with the organisation of alternative flights etc.

Hope your story is the exception and not the rule, I know what it's like to feel totally helpless and stunned, so it must have been terrible not being able to get the help you needed when you really need it.

Advertisement