Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerbil care

Options
  • 04-11-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi everyone
    I'm thinking of buying a couple of gerbils. I have an old hamster cage to put them in. I've read a bit about them on the internet but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I want to know as much as possible about them before I get them because I've never had any kind of small rodent before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is it a standard sall hamster cage? They can work at first but gerbils will get bored in them and chew like mad on the bars. A tank with a timber/wire lid is a better option around 3 feet in size. This way the bedding won't fly everywhere and the gerbils can dig wee tunnels. Adding hidey places etc as well.

First thing to do though is ensure that they are both the same sex and get on well together. Don't always trust your average pet shop with sexing them, there are a few that can but in general they get it wrong. I am pure usless at sexing them so get an expert.

Some gerbils can be sensative to woodchips, I had one lad that got a terrible sore nose and had to switch to Carefresh there are a few other bedding matierials out there now as well which are more friendly on sensative gerbil noses.

zooplus.ie do some cute wee houses and toys.

For more info. on gerbil care check out
    http://www.agsgerbils.org/Gerbil_Care_Handbook/index.php

The R.S.P.C.A do a small basic care gerbil book that you can usually get in most bookshops.

They are great little critters and make fantastic pets, need lots to do though so give them plenty of carboard to chew eg kitchen roll inserts, empty biscuit boxes etc and plain white kitchen roll for bedding..cheap and cheerful.
    I never bothered with the wooly stuff.

Advertisement