Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Listening to earphones while driving

Options
  • 04-11-2008 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

[RANT]

Heading northbound on the M50 to the airport and just passed the N4 exit. An '08 A4 then came down the slip from the N4 and crossed my lane and into the middle lane, and ambles along at about 85kph. The road was completely empty ahead. Was just going to continue in the left lane (outside, inside, driving, whatever you wanna call it) and undertake, but decided to overtake anyway, being the model citizen that i am :D As the front of my bonnet passed his drivers door, I suddenly caught his right indicator come on and the car coming into my lane, so I hit the brakes (him on the left, concrete on the right) and sat on the horn. No reaction, he just went into the lane (for no reason) and continued at his 85kph.

I decided now to undertake and as I passed I noticed he had his ipod earphones in and was dancing like a teenager with a hairbrush in front of a mirror (a bit like this) Attempted to get his attention but realised there was no point at this stage and continued on.

[/RANT]

Does anyone else listen to earphones while driving??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

noblestee wrote: »
    Does anyone else listen to earphones while driving??

Hell no. Learned my lesson years ago when I nearly got flattened in my beetle by an ambulance coming up behind me with full flashing lights and siren blaring. I didn't notice the thing at all since I was somewhere else entirely. It dawned on me there and then how dangerous it is what I've been doing. Mind you I was 20 and I don't think this was even forbidden back then.

Don't ever do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Me neither. It's not just the fact that you can't hear what's going on around you (although I believe that it's completely legal for deaf people to drive, so maybe that's a moot point), but the sense of detachment from the outside world, for want of a better word, that listening to music through headphones/earplugs creates that listening through speakers doesn't. The same thing goes for bluetooth earpieces and mobile phone use IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

If you wear earphones driving you are an idiot. There's no debating it. Don't think you can really compare wearing earphones and deafness in terms of detachment because I presume a deaf person would be a hell of a lot more tuned in and aware of their surroundings when driving as oppossed to the driver wearing earphones that the OP described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Isn't listening to headphones while driving illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I can hear feck all when the stereo is cranked, I don't need earphones to detach me from the outside world. Well, maybe the missus giving me grief would detach from anything outside the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Before the widespread availability of bluetooth, I occasionaly used my headphones connected in to my phone to make (not so much) and take calls. I would only use 1 bud though (the left one) and would never have music playing through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

b0bsquish wrote: »
    Isn't listening to headphones while driving illegal?

It's legal, otherwise bluetooth headsets would be illegal as well..

anyway, a deaf person is allowed drive a car, hearing isn't a prerequisite for a driving licence

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's illegal in Florida, USA

"No person shall operate a vehicle while wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device" (Section 316.304). In other states the law permits wearing headphones as long as one ear remains uncovered, and in still others wearing both earpieces may be permitted.

Don;t know about Ireland, maybe the ppl in Legal Discussion could tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you need hearing to drive. it makes sense...... it one more warning sign you wont hear before an expensive accident

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Martron wrote: »
    you need hearing to drive. it makes sense...... it one more warning sign you wont hear before an expensive accident
    You don't "need" it but I'd agree that its essential, kind of the reason I tend to wind down my window at junctions and in towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

to clarify the meaning of 'need' as per my previous post

need = legal requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ok its handy to hear a car horn in case it was going to slam into you!!

i meant need in the way i NEED air to live.

just like i feel like i NEED hearing to drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Martron wrote: »
    ok its handy to hear a car horn in case it was going to slam into you!!

i meant need in the way i NEED air to live.

just like i feel like i NEED hearing to drive

This is what I mean. Ive seen plenty of near-misses due to blind spots, someone hits the horn and the other car stops changing lanes. I assume deaf people are far more aware and check mirrors/blind spots a lot. Actually, **** that, i check my mirrors and blindspots a lot, but this guy was just in a world of his own. Especially annoying as he was already in the middle lane, and there was no need to move into the 2nd overtaking lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

I think it is very dangerous and shows poor decision making skills. Kind of like those people you see reading a book as they fly down the highway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Sure theres no difference between wearing earphones and having the radio turned up???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Well i usually have a single iphone ear piece in one ear as i drive. I dont listen to music on it. I jsut have it there so that if i recieve a call i can go to handsfree , and keep both hands on the wheel.

Advertisement