Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog run advice

Options
  • 04-11-2008 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Am planning to get a dog shortly, medium size, springer spaniel & am looking for ideas to build a run for him without it costing a fortune. I know you can get custom made dog enclosures from Cill Dara or similar but I don't have that kind of money. Anyone do anything similar on the cheap!!. There must be plenty of the fencing that you see around building sites going cheap now.

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ITMissy

What we did was create a foundation however big you need it, and we built up 3 Blocks and then used timber to build it up again to 6 foot (big dog) - So she can look out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I made a big one using the building site fencing. Poured a concrete pad and used plastic ABS plumbing pipe (cut to size) inserted into the concrete when the poured wet, to insert the fencing into.
    After it set, just placed the fencing section into place, popped in the kennel and the dogs, and Voila! - a professioal dog pen that will not rust or rot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Any pics niceirishfella?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks for the replies. Brilliant idea, niceirishfella. I must see if I can pick up any of those building site fences fairly cheap. Not sure if there is a salvage/recycling site in Kerry. I only need to use 3 sides as I have a 6 foot wall at the back.

Again Thanks,

T

jamesd wrote: »
    Any pics niceirishfella?

No problem - i'll post some tomorrow.:)

One thing tho' - if you have pups or small dogs, they may be able to got through the holes or gaps in the wire in the building site fencing.
    So, I got a roll of chain link wire and did the entire pen round and round with it cable tie'ing it in place.
    Worth doing if you have small dogs or pups or if you have a bitch in heat and you want to ensure no male dog gets @ her! This was the main reason i did this as my dogs are purebred and i did'nt want mungral pups!:eek:

• Advertisement

No problem - i'll post some tomorrow.:)

Thanks very much

Pics lads!

note the pics of the plastic ABS plumbing pipe (cut to size) inserted into the concrete when the poured wet, to insert the fencing into! Easy to do:D

Rgds,

NIF

Great idea with the abs piping - a good looking run and easy to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

jamesd wrote: »
    Great idea with the abs piping - a good looking run and easy to make

I agree, the power washer looks awesome:D

In passing, have a decent slope on the run to allow run off.
    On the doggy side for the OP, the spaniel will need loads of exercise and if purebred will go mad if confined for long periods with no exercise and no human contact: they are very personable dogs and need company.

Carlow52 wrote: »
    I agree, the power washer looks awesome:D

In passing, have a decent slope on the run to allow run off.
    On the doggy side for the OP, the spaniel will need loads of exercise and if purebred will go mad if confined for long periods with no exercise and no human contact: they are very personable dogs and need company.

+1

Completely agree with Carlow 52!
    We have Springers and breed too. They are the most lovable dog that i've had. Great hunters too:P and great with kids.
    Need loads of love and attention and exercise - thats why i went for the big enclosure - tho' they are out all day and i walk them frequently.:cool:

Rgds,
    NIF

• Advertisement
Advertisement