Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Vs Canada

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

I can't see Ferris starting but honestly I can see Jennings and Heaslip starting.

We'll see!

I hope not. I believe Fitz is more than ready to step up against the big boys though in fairness to Wallace he has been playing decent for Ulster

I think Fitz will have a long career ahead of him and plenty of opportunities in the future. Don't want him knackered before his time and would much prefer to have a decent panel of players.
    I don't really feel he should be discounted because his team lost. I simply feel at the very least MOK should be in the 22. Start him against NZ, if he cant keep up take him off or alternatively bring him on against NZ and if he does well start him against Argentina it doesnt really matter but what does matter is that on this season's fine form he should at least be given the benefit of the doubt that he can carry this current form to the international stage.

We are not short of locks (remember Leo Cullen & Bob Casey are available) as well. MOD & D. Ryan are better bench options than Mal because they can play more than one position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

This might surprise some, and I don't know if I believe it 100%, but I'd be looking at the theory that Kidney has decided not to think of the AB game and the Argentina game until after he sees how this Saturday pans out.

Obviously, he has to see how his side performs against the Canadians, added to that, let's look at the ABs. They've picked a weakened side to play Scotland - now if that backfires, they're going to tear into us with all the fury they can muster, if they easily beat Scotland, then they may approach us in a more relaxed way, allowing Kidney potentially more room to take risks.

Just a theory on my part, but sure, who knows? ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

What are you talking about he was dropped from the Munster panel! Then Fischer made those comments! Every poster on munsterfans.com has the ability to read between the lines and have stated that it is quite obvious that Buckley wasn't performing!

Personally I think Kidney decided to go with players he knows well which is a shame because he should be picking the best.

Give me a link to Laurie Fisher's comments - I don't think you can because it's all speculation, hey, while I enjoy mf.com posters there can run away with themselves as well, if one was to go by what some posters said then the Irish team would never play together again there was so much bad blood between them during the W/C. I just idle speculation.

On your view that Kidney picked the players he knew just doesn't make sense, if he was to with players he knew he'd have at least gone with Wally and Quinnie in the back row.

I still think he has gone with a good mix of experience and freshness and hopefully all will have a stormer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Buckley had undiagnosed pneumonia at the start of the season, it's not too surprising his performances dropped a bit. Tbh, I'm surprised he's fully fit already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭redmca

Probably the wrong thread to ask this ...... But in the light of this selection, what sort of team will Munster be able to put out against the ABs ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 runny babbit

(Probably the wrong thread to ask this ...... But in the light of this selection, what sort of team will Munster be able to put out against the ABs ???)

I fear a cricket score coming on against the ABs.. only hope munster have is in the few practise games they have beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

redmca wrote: »
    Probably the wrong thread to ask this ...... But in the light of this selection, what sort of team will Munster be able to put out against the ABs ???

3 kiwi's and an ozzy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

phog wrote: »
    Give me a link to Laurie Fisher's comments - I don't think you can because it's all speculation, hey, while I enjoy mf.com posters there can run away with themselves as well, if one was to go by what some posters said then the Irish team would never play together again there was so much bad blood between them during the W/C. I just idle speculation.

Heres the actual quote

''we feel that Tony still has a little more work to do in the quality of his work rate and the quality of his involvements."

It was in an article posted on October 8th not sure what newspaper

http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14540&PN=1&TPN=1 view posts 7 and 8

On your view that Kidney picked the players he knew just doesn't make sense, if he was to with players he knew he'd have at least gone with Wally and Quinnie in the back row.

Well in fairness I think he has thrown in some freshness in Ferris and Buckley, my point was in the case of hooker he has gone for a player he knew over players that were performing better.

I still think he has gone with a good mix of experience and freshness and hopefully all will have a stormer.

Hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 runny babbit

By picking buckley to start the game it could be a case of s**t or get off the pot, coupled with i"v got fate in you, now prove me right..kidneyism..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

That could be the case. Although Hayes is still in fine fettle (and his durability really is something to behold when you think of it), Ireland need a TH to emerge. Ulster, Leinster or realistically Connacht won't be providing one. Buckley was Munster's offering. I've no basis for saying it but I wonder if Ross coming back home is something the IRFU/Munster have considered as a contingency plan?

Munster will need a double-sider once Pucciariello is gone, and will go abroad to get one you'd imagine, but their first choice TH will have to be Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

By picking buckley to start the game it could be a case of s**t or get off the pot,

This could be very true. There's only so long you can keep picking a prop because he's big and looks like he should be good. Hopefully Buckley can step up but he really needs to improve in a big way quick or he may start sliding off the radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

bugler wrote: »
    That could be the case. Although Hayes is still in fine fettle (and his durability really is something to behold when you think of it), Ireland need a TH to emerge. Ulster, Leinster or realistically Connacht won't be providing one. Buckley was Munster's offering. I've no basis for saying it but I wonder if Ross coming back home is something the IRFU/Munster have considered as a contingency plan?

Munster will need a double-sider once Pucciariello is gone, and will go abroad to get one you'd imagine, but their first choice TH will have to be Irish.

Did Ross ever actually play for Munster? I saw him play for Con a few times and always thought of him as a bit of a flat track bully. The hero in training and a pansy on the pitch type.

From what I've seen of him for Quins he looks GP standard and not much else. Still we are very short in this area so he might be worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Buckley is great at counter rucking but as far as i've seen that's where his contribution starts and ends, for the size of him he is anonymous.

Was very suprised not to see Court and to a lesser extent Bob Casey given a chance, Court is getting game time and is improving with every game.

On another note, i was at the Leinster Wasps game and one thing that struck me was that every line break wasps made was a crash ball on their big inside centre who batted Luke Fitz aside each time. Not trying to be contraversial but i really dont think he's physically ready for the centre...especially with the traffic ROG can expect coming that way against the AB's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

bamboozle wrote: »
    On another note, i was at the Leinster Wasps game and one thing that struck me was that every line break wasps made was a crash ball on their big inside centre who batted Luke Fitz aside each time. Not trying to be contraversial but i really dont think he's physically ready for the centre...especially with the traffic ROG can expect coming that way against the AB's.

Are you taking the piss?!? Fitz tackles were superb that day. He is more than ready physically for centre hes one of the biggest hitters on the team ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I really like the look of the team, great blend of youth and experience, and a potent backline. There will be changes for NZ no doubt, but not too many I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Did Ross ever actually play for Munster? I saw him play for Con a few times and always thought of him as a bit of a flat track bully. The hero in training and a pansy on the pitch type.

From what I've seen of him for Quins he looks GP standard and not much else. Still we are very short in this area so he might be worth a go.

He was only ever on trial at Munster, far as I know. I haven't seen him in a while now, but being a GP standard TH isn't bad...they face better scrummagers than you see in the ML typically. Over the past couple of seasons some of the Quins fans have been raving about him.

It's not really a matter of him being very good, something will have to be done. Necessity forced Munster to give Buckley a go. If its deemed he isn't up to it then someone else will be given a go. Something fairly drastic will have to happen: Knoop will have to stay fit and get gametime either at Leinster or elsewhere; or Ross will have to be given a proper run. There are other options of course...like playing Court who has been getting gametime but at LH, which would be harsh on him and probably end in tears. It will be interesting to see how it pans out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

bamboozle wrote: »
    Buckley is great at counter rucking but as far as i've seen that's where his contribution starts and ends, for the size of him he is anonymous.

Is he though, he seems to stand there and shake mnore rucks than he actually hits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

"Fog clearing quickly, very wet and very windy weather soon developing. Rain giving way to showers later in afternoon, but staying blustery."

....Looks like it's going to be a miserable afternoon for the match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I have a feeling Buckley will probably crumble like he did in the Gloucester, I hope I'm wrong but I see the pressure getting to him a bit too much, I like Earls at fullback and I think it's his best position but that's a postion were he has too much competition and I see him being moved to centre in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Weather for tomorrow - Tomorrow Saturday will begin dry over eastern counties. More heavy rain and strong winds arriving in the west before noon will spread countrywide during the afternoon. A clearance to blustery showers will follow during the evening as strong to gale force southwest winds veer west. It'll feel cold due to the wind. Highest temperatures of 9 to 12 degrees.

Anyone going to the match should wrap up good.

• Advertisement

GDM wrote: »
    I have a feeling Buckley will probably crumble like he did in the Gloucester, I hope I'm wrong but I see the pressure getting to him a bit too much, I like Earls at fullback and I think it's his best position but that's a postion were he has too much competition and I see him being moved to centre in the long term.

Tell me o fountain of rugby knowledge what side of the scrum was Buckley playing on that day against Gloucester?

Hint: Both he and Hayes were on the pitch at the same time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Tell me o fountain of rugby knowledge what side of the scrum was Buckley playing on that day against Gloucester?

Hint: Both he and Hayes were on the pitch at the same time.

Fair enough, but that furthers underlines his inability to actually prop both sides of the scrum and so reduces his usefulness as a sub (and his one main advantage against his rivals for the jersey).
    It also doesn't explain him getting his head shoved through his spine when playing at TH prop against Fitzpatrick....

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Fair enough, but that furthers underlines his inability to actually prop both sides of the scrum and so reduces his usefulness as a sub (and his one main advantage against his rivals for the jersey).
    It also doesn't explain him getting his head shoved through his spine when playing at TH prop against Fitzpatrick....

Look I'm not a huge Buckley fan, he drifts in and out too much, but there are very few props who can play both sides at international level.

As for the Ulster game it seems to accepted that he had pnuemonia at the start of the season so was understandably drained. New coach, new team, lets give him a fair go. Kidney is never afraid to chop players who aren't performing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Anyone watching the piece on Limerick/Thomond park at the moment? Any chance of it being available online afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Funkstard wrote: »
    Anyone watching the piece on Limerick/Thomond park at the moment? Any chance of it being available online afterwards?

Was a nice piece alright, oh the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Until watching, I didn't know you could syrup coat an entire stadium ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Oh Canada.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

back
    on
    topic
    people

Has it actually stopped raining there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Wow Deccie is wearing a suit.

Oh sweet mother............

Berdos.....

AGAIN

How the hell can he be a international ref, arguably the worst ref in the world.

Pointless penalties galore expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

And they're off...

Thomond looks good.

Easiest try Earls will ever get in international terms

Great start.

Nice try, rout on????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Nice try, rout on????

Did you ever hear the one about the chickens?

Jackz wrote: »
    Did you ever hear the one about the chickens?

Ha ha, I only asked!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Yep nice easy 7 points to settle the nerves. Great for Earls too on his home patch.

• Advertisement

Thats a easy knock on to give away

ok looking at Canada now for first 10 minutes, I am now expecting a rout!

Lol handling from the full back.

Tight call.

Woohoo!

Lucky try, shouldnt have been one imo

Def try for me. Kearneys hand was underneath the FB's hand on top of the ball. Terrible handling leading up to it though.

Another easy 7 points. Great kick from ROG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    Lucky try, shouldnt have been one imo

Yeah there was no downward pressure even if the hand was there, which is also doubtful, but we'll take it.

Great conversion.

I'd have given it tbh. He got the touch just ahead of the Canadian from what I saw in the replays.

Second time the ball has come out of the ruck between Reddans legs without him noticing. Copped it that time eventually though

For once...could it just not rain in Thomand park i mean come on......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Anyone know of a stream of NZ Scotland? Wouldn't mind a quick glance at that but can't find a working stream...

• Advertisement
Advertisement