Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Vs Canada

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Thought they both did well but I would be inclined to start Best against the ABs and use Flannery as an impact sub.

I really think DOC has to go if he can't even make any kind of impact against Canada.

I think he will stick with DOC because of the partnership he has and history with POC. Reckon he will have quinlan and jennings on the bench, quinlan being the replacement 2nd row and for impact.

Turning out to be a lot of good impact subs for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

My good god, you reckon the way the pundit panel was going on we were the worst organized bunch of rabble in professional rugby.Someone stick a big dirty rugby sock in Hooks mouth.

For a pundit he nearly gets it wrong every time, he predicted 25-6 to Ireland and moaned when we hammered them 55-0:confused: I know that Chanda were extremely poor, but we tried a number of fringe players and it was Kidney first outting.

The game overall i thought was poor yes, but they did a pretty efficient job of hammering the snot out of a poor side. We found again that Ferris is an animal and deserves a shot. We found that when Stringer came on he offered nothing and made some poor tactical passes, with overlaps on the opposite side. Wallace is not an OH and Sexton should be there or Ian Humps or Keatley. Lessons were learned and more will be learned next week.

......Rant End.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

I was hopeing that Humphreys would get a start this year under Kidney. When he came back from England to play for Ulster I thought he might shine. It is a real worry for Ireland not having a good quality 10 to take ROG's place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Reckon wallace did enough to nail down a backrow spot, reckon it will be ferris, wallace and heaslip. Jennings played well but heaslip and ferris were superior and jennings failed to make an impact as the groundhog.

Good overall performance, earls, kearney and bowe excellent. Fitz didn't get much ball but was encouraging. Reddan was really slow getting ball away from the ruck but stringer wasn't much better.
    Toss up between flannery and best, both did very little wrong

well done ireland

Totally agree with you there D-gal, exactly the thoughts I had afterwards but thought DOC was poor and can't understand why Bob Casey is not been given a go. Whatever about the panel, the friggin commentators were even worse, blaming the conditions (which I know were BAD) whenever one of our lads made an error. Also agree with the lads that said we're fuvked if ROG get injured. Definately agree that Keatley or Humphries should have been given a go, particularly when Canada were going to be poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It was good result and an easy result. I was a little bored wathcing it and I was in Thomond Park. The weather kind of upset us all and the guy who had to resucitated next to me on the East stand put even more of a dampener on it.

Ireland still played well considering the weather conditions. I would have expected more falls and slips.

Something people may have missed. The ref needed his microphone fixed. He turned to the guy and said "i cant hear a fuc*ing thing". Everybody with their HP headsets heard this and there were manys "oi's" going around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Definately agree that Keatley or Humphries should have been given a go, particularly when Canada were going to be poor.

Sexton is superior to both of them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Sexton is superior to both of them....

Your on your own there with that opinion i doubt he ll even get his contract renewed at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Some serious rain there now, tough conditions.

Should've tried sitting on the end lines for 80 minutes of rain! Horrible conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Stev_o wrote: »
    Your on your own there with that opinion i doubt he ll even get his contract renewed at the end of the year.

I wouldn't go that far, but he is better than Humphries and Wallace at 10. Keatley and O'Connor would have a shout of getting in ahead of him though.

It's a terrible shame a future No.10 - regardless of who, didn't get a run tonight. Not blooding new talent and only having Wallace for back up is asking for trouble. Will O'Gara even be around for the next world cup? That would probably be his last season if he is. Young players need game time now.

I thought Bowe, Fitz, Earls, Kearney, Heaslip & Ferris all did well tonight. More young players need to start getting game time too. (also for Man of the match I would have had Bowe, Kearney & Heaslip ahead of Ferris. But there was no obvious choice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    can't understand why Bob Casey is not been given a go.

Casey wasn't given a go because the english clubs got their knickers in a twist about releasing players for international matches, Reddan was only there because he has a stipulation in his contract and Wasps had to let him go.

I think my prediction on Buckley came true (that he'd be taken off ofr being god awful).

I did find it interesting that he was sent back out after a while because of an "injury," haven't Wasps been playing that same card in a lot of games this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

GDM wrote: »
    I think my prediction on Buckley came true (that he'd be taken off ofr being god awful).

I did find it interesting that he was sent back out after a while because of an "injury," haven't Wasps been playing that same card in a lot of games this year.

I think Buckley was subbed to allow Hayes on, afterall next week he'll be playing against one of the toughest oppositions in the world and I thought it was plain to see that Marcus was receiving attention thoughtout the 2nd half, did you not see it?

Stev_o wrote: »

No I'm not I think you'll find both Gaffney and Kidney would agree with me.

I think it is incredible that people are already making statements like you just made there on Sexton only EIGHT GAMES into the season (not all of which he played in) after all the great seasons he had.

Keatley is only a rookie and IMO is nowhere near Sexton on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

kensutz wrote: »
    Should've tried sitting on the end lines for 80 minutes of rain! Horrible conditions.

Yeah, it was a bit wet, especially without the shelter of the stands.

I think it was a fairly poor game, and Ireland should have done a lot better. Canada were really poor. I guess the conditions didn't suit them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No I'm not I think you'll find both Gaffney and Kidney would agree with me.

I think it is incredible that people are already making statements like you just made there on Sexton only EIGHT GAMES into the season (not all of which he played in) after all the great seasons he had.

Keatley is only a rookie and IMO is nowhere near Sexton on form.

Sexton is ahead of Keatley on form?, I don't know how you could say that on the evidence of this season performances. I think that when on form he is a a better player than Keatley, but certainly not at this moment in time.

On a related note I do think some people are being far making far too much of Sextons poor form this season, I have no doubt that he will come out of his current 'second season' slump a much better player in the long run.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Sexton is ahead of Keatley on form?, I don't know how you could say that on the evidence of this season performances. I think that when on form he is a a better player than Keatley, but certainly not at this moment in time.

On a related note I do think some people are being far making far too much of Sextons poor form this season, I have no doubt that he will come out of his current 'second season' slump a much better player in the long run.

No thats what I meant that Keatley is nowhere near an on form Sexton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

No thats what I meant that Keatley is nowhere near an on form Sexton.

Sexton is the Ryan Lamb of Irish Rugby infact Sexton has so much in common with Ian Humphreys both when on form can produce marvellous games of running rugby where their ace card of passing comes into play BUT they suffer from being god awful kickers of the rugby ball from both hand and on the ground and thats why Sexton should be nowhere near the senior side.

Until he starts kicking for Leinster and getting a decent percentage with it (average is around 70 odd %) then he should get his caps but untill then whats the point of having him in the 22 he's not going to do much for us and would cost us more games then win hence why O'Connor and Keatley are ahead of him,

Advertisement