Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stressed Cat

Options
  • 04-11-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My 6 year old neutered male cat recently started going bald on his belly. Having spoken to the vet, in the absence of any other symptoms she thinks it's stress as he keeps licking it. He's an indoor/outdoor cat, but his outdoor time usually consists of jumping out the kitchen window and sitting on the outside sill then coming back in :). He does have constant access to outside during the day and the hall, stairs, landing, kitchen. I'm at home most of the week and he's here with me whenever I'm here.

He is fighting with his sister a lot (6 year old neutered) and he seems to be starting it, but it's difficult to tell. This again, is a symptom of stress. But I'm worried he's going to drive her away, he's twice her size and really tries to batter her.

The only thing I can think that has changed in the past 2 months, is the fact we have taken a tenant in. But the cats seems to ignore him, and he's always very nice to them.

Does anybody have any advice for helping him feel less stressed, do you think I should cut all access to outdoors in case it's something outside? (I seriously doubt it as he spends most of his time indoors anyway).

He has it easy, best of food, medical attention, cuddles, bed and he has the nerve to get stressed! :mad::P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

We got Feliway for our cat about a week ago on the advice of the vet and she's calmed right down - now it's only a week but she was like a bundle of tenseness the weekend before last and now she's all happy again. Can't really say if it's worked given that she's been on antibiotics and anti-inflamatories for an infection too but it may be worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

we have a cat and recently took in two kittens (that would have been drowned otherwise) . The older cat (neutered) started to go out and stay away for days at a time which wasnt like him. When he was in the kittens would cower away from him. It tok about 3 months but they have settled down now and all cuddle up in the same bed. :D

Advertisement