Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self built pc locking up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I reckon the stock PSU wasn't up to much tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Probably not gaming quality for sure, but the rig's not for gaming and IIRC those Fusions come with an old but fairly well regarded dual-rail PSU of either Seasonic or Delta origin (branded as Antec though). 16A 12V1 and 17A 12V2 if its the earthwatts incarnation. Not something you'd run a GTX260 off of but we're talking an E8500 and a wee passive 8500GT here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 andrewison

Sorry I havent read thru the whole thread and the issue on mine when I had it was the PSU, the new graphics card i was using was using a power supply from the PSU , and in the end the PSU wasnt good enough for the job, I got a new PSU (a descent brand one is normally better than your standard but obviously cost more, some of the new GPU ustilises alot of power). However the simple method is to look at when the pc freezes, is it on a particular process (watching video, playing game , word processing, etc) .... if not , if entirely randon , then look at swapping a piece at a time , easiest one to do is take one of the dimms out (if there is 2 memory dimms) and see if it still crashes ... then swap the dimms if it still crashes. if it still crashes after both have been in independantly .. then you may look to borrowing a PSU or a graphics card ... put the card in and see if the issue occurs still ... it is essentially a case sometimes of eliminating the parts one by one. No real easy way , try maybe installing the lastest drivers etc ... maybe related to something in BIOS , bios shadowing ..enabled/disabled... look for options maybe linked to graphics.. maybe reset the bios to defauls and mess with it that way ..

Hope that helps ..

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Thanks for the extra input guys, i am not too good when it comes to testing/stressing etc. This is my first self build and i am learning as i go along. I hope to get the psu on tue/wed but it will probably not arrive until mon 29th (Dabs 3 day window). If that does not solve the problem i have some spare unused ram i purchased a few months ago that i could try.
    P.S. if it is the mobo, what is the situation with an oem vista licence transfer? I believe the oem licence is locked to the original mobo?

I just removed the gfx card again as i was getting more frequent crashes with it installed and i put in 2gb of slower pc5300 ram. I also removed the wifi card as it is never used. I will leave the pc on until it crashes or the new psu arrives....

• Advertisement

ffocused wrote: »
    I just removed the gfx card again as i was getting more frequent crashes with it installed and i put in 2gb of slower pc5300 ram. I also removed the wifi card as it is never used. I will leave the pc on until it crashes or the new psu arrives....

Try just doing it one at a time , that way you will be able to elimate better.

I put in the new psu on the 23rd and have not had a crash so far, so looks like the problem is fixed. Thanks for all the help.

great stuff... always a painhen something like this happens as there isnt an easy this will fix it solution. it is a case of try one, try another ...especially when it is crashing and there are many possibilities

Advertisement