Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shepherd's Pie

• 04-11-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭

Am I a pedantic git or does anyone else get fed up of people calling Cottage pie Shepherd's pie.

Shepherds mind sheep, not cows.
    Shepherd's pie is made with lamb or mutton, not beef.
    And made properly, it is made from roast lamb ground up, not raw mince.

Ah, my mother's proper Shepherd's Pie on a Monday made from the Sunday roast leftovers. MMMmmmmmmm.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You'd be surprised by how many people don't know the difference or even care :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055230426

Proper tends to mean what people grew up with. Personally I think your mum was a loon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ponster wrote: »
    Personally I think your mum was a loon :)

:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

a nice loon though... :)

We were so poor we didn't have left over meat fo Monday pie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i'd say you're being pedantic if it winds you up enough to start a thread on it.

but how do you grind up roast meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A similar mini-war raged on here about Irish stew. I'm in the "It's only Irish stew if it's made with sheep" camp, as opposed to just plain old stew. I would also be in teh Shepherd's Pie = sheeps, cottage pie = beef camp.

And you can grind up leftover roast meat either in a blender or just using a sharp knife.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I always leave it a little saucier than feels natrual and the potatoes on top then soak that up and you have lovely meaty flavoured spuds on top too.
    I never grind themeat into a pulp but I do chop it pretty finely.

Anyone know where I could buy a little hand grinder? I dont think Ive ever seen a domestic one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A similar mini-war raged on here about Irish stew. I'm in the "It's only Irish stew if it's made with sheep" camp, as opposed to just plain old stew. I would also be in teh Shepherd's Pie = sheeps, cottage pie = beef camp.

And you can grind up leftover roast meat either in a blender or just using a sharp knife.

Damn right - I love a beef stew but it's NOT Irish stew!
    Dellgirl2 wrote: »
    I never grind themeat into a pulp but I do chop it pretty finely.

Anyone know where I could buy a little hand grinder? I dont think Ive ever seen a domestic one?

A hand grinder is exactly the thing (my mother gave hers away years ago:mad:)
    I have seen them in Lidl on occasion.

If you're careful with a food processor, it's ok - ie don't grind to a pulp.
    Hand chopping is good too - if you have the diligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Sunday roast leftovers.

Does. Not. Compute. :D

A hand grinder is exactly the thing (my mother gave hers away years ago)
    I have seen them in Lidl on occasion.

My Grandad used to have one I think...I must have a forage in the garage and see if its there the next time Im home. Ill def keep an eye out in Lidl for one. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Indeed they are. I make sausages with mine. A bit labour intensive, but you get there in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

debenhams sell the hand grinder Eur 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Don't forget the worcester sauce.... vital for cottage or shepherd's pie!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

muckety wrote: »
    Don't forget the worcester sauce.... vital for cottage or shepherd's pie!

... and a squirt of tomato puree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

... and a squirt of tomato puree!

Tomato sauce too.

Bayleaf, thyme and a sprig of rosemary - put them in with the onions but take them out when youve finished adding the meat and all other ingredients. Dont simmmer them too long is what Im trying to say (very badly - a tad hungover) otherwise they impart a bitterness that affects the final taste.

If I had to exist on two foods for the rest of my life, it would be Sheperds pie and saussage Mcmuffins. I only discovered these a few weeks ago and even though they are incredibly slutty as a breakfast, I love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Dellgirl2 wrote: »

If I had to exist on two foods for the rest of my life, it would be Sheperds pie and saussage Mcmuffins. I only discovered these a few weeks ago and even though they are incredibly slutty as a breakfast, I love them.

What the hell are these???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My recipe for Cottage Pie/Shepherd's Pie, with beef/lamb;

1lb of lean minced beef/lamb
    2 medium carrots, diced
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 pint of hot water
    2 red Oxo cubes
    A teaspoon of tomato puree
    A dessertspoon of flour - any kind
    A dash of Worcestershire Sauce if you have it
    A pinch of mixed herbs
    Fry the onion and carrot in a little oil over a low heat until they start to soften. Turn up the heat and add the minced beef/lamb, fry until browned. Sprinkle on the flour and stir well over a low heat for a minute. Pour on the stock made with the Oxo cubes and hot water and stir well. Add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and herbs then season with salt and black pepper (not too much salt!). Stir well and add a little more hot water if it looks too thick. Simmer for around 30 minutes.
    Place in an oven-proof dish and cover with potatoes mashed with real butter and milk until light and fluffy, and drag a fork across the top to rough it up. Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees, gas mark 5.
    For a change you can cover it with new potatoes sliced thickly and boiled until tender. Place them overlapping on top of the meat sauce and brush with oil. Yum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The ingredients I always put in mine (not a detailed recipe, I just go by 'feel') ...

mince (usually beef mince I have to say)
    onions
    carrots
    celery
    (sometimes a red pepper, uncoventional but give it a try)
    frozen peas (also unconventional I admit)
    worcester sauce
    tomato puree
    red oxo cubes
    flour
    chopped flatleaf parsley
    lots of black pepper
    and, of course, potatoes.

What the hell are these???

McDonalds serve them for breakfast - I think thats the name of them anyway. Its a bappy kind of bread and theres a saussage patty and an egg in there. Very tasty but God says if you eat it more than once a week he will smite you for sheer gluttony.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/corp/news/media/multi/Prod/breakfast_menu.RowPar.0002.ContentPar.0002.ColumnPar.0002.File.tmp/sausagemcmuffin_egg.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement