Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MHRV for old houses

Options
  • 04-11-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'm having a bit of trouble with condensation in my house. It's a dormer, has insulation in the cavity walls, not much insulation in the attic though. I was thinking of putting in more insulation and some kind of ventilation. It was recommended on another thread to investigate using a MHRV unit. I was under the impression that these were only for new builds or airtight houses. Does anyone have any experience using these in non-airtight houses? Theoretically it would solve my ventilation problems but will it drive up my heating costs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Enaghan01 wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of trouble with condensation in my house. It's a dormer, has insulation in the cavity walls, not much insulation in the attic though. I was thinking of putting in more insulation and some kind of ventilation. It was recommended on another thread to investigate using a MHRV unit. I was under the impression that these were only for new builds or airtight houses. Does anyone have any experience using these in non-airtight houses? Theoretically it would solve my ventilation problems but will it drive up my heating costs?

It would solve your ventilation problems . It may drive your energy cost up .

An air tightness test will cost about €1k . Money well spent . It will highlight your problem areas .

Others WILL differ with me here - i would install HRV even if a house was not super air tight - for the quality of your internal environment and health .

Q50 / 10 - is building regs min for air tightness . If you get a worse reading than this your energy bills will rise - no question . But you enter a "neutral area at around Q50 8-9 . Your bills will neither fall or rise . The lower the Q50 number the better from an energy perspective

But energy is not the ONLY perspective .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Enaghan01

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. There are other benefits to using a MHRV that make it worthwhile to look at. Any recommendations for what MHRV to use?

From looking at other boards, some of the prices seem crazy. I found a company Brookvent that published their price on the internet http://www.brookvent.co.uk/airchanger/downloads/heatharvesterprices.pdf. This looks a bit more reasonable so I can use this as a baseline. I know a crowd called ATC supply a MHRV also. Any other recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Enaghan01

Excellent Sinnerboy, that's exactly what I needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

While not wishing to cross swords with any one here, I was at PLEA 2008 in Dublin a week or so ago and I can across the idea of demand driven ventilation as an alternative to MHRV ( which, if I understand it properly is an 'always on' system ) The demand driven system seems to be just that, it is driven by things such as humidity levels.

The notion won a prize at PLAN EXPO today for the exhibitor at stand P14

A useful list of the expo exhibitors can be found here: most have web links so a useful way to collect them
    http://www.expo-events.com/planexpo/plan_expo_exhibitor_list.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement