Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Deathwatch beetle. The water. The wineglass. (2min56sec)

• 04-11-2008 4:56pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a 3minute opera. It's spoken in tune with a flat Dublin accent. I wrote the music by tapping wine glasses with a stick (elastic band attached to the end of it).
    I was very careful in spelling and punctuation and intended as it is written.

I have recorded the music but I'm still having problems uploading onto a Myspace. I recorded it onto a Zoom H2. I have all the gubbens but no joy in uploading. Any help would be good.
    Feel free to criticise away.

An L M N and then a O P.
    L M.
    A L M N and then an O P.
    What would they know?
    Sure, what would they know.
    Deathwatch fallen from le ceiling to the water in the wine glass.
    The Deathwatch beetle. The water - wineglass.
    L M N O P

Five, six: I am a stride at a time.
    (A very short space of time) through very short times of space.
    The nacheinander. The nacheinander. The nacheinander. The nacheinander.
    I am a stride. Behind-ahead. Through some very short spaces of time.
    Out cames it a fallen at very short times of space.
    The Deathwatch beetle's crawled on through the rafters.
    Sure would they go.
    Where would they go?

A step. A tap. Step, step. A tap. Deliberately hostile on the outside.
    Entropic ennui.
    Entropy. Ennui.
    All in good time.
    A step. A tap. A tap. Deliberate and delicate, sitting, wanting, on the outside.
    Exactly: and that is the ineluctable modality of the audible.

The Deathwatch beetle, the water and the wine glass.
    Where would they go.
    Would they go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

First off, congrats on being made a mod!

Secondly, tell me when you've posted it on myspace and I'll have a listen.

Thirdly, when I read this song, the salmon dance by the chemical brothers come to my mind.

Fourthly, I like this song, mainly because I think it's random, but not coming across as random.

"Deathwatch fallen from le ceiling"

That line annoys me for the "le" Any reason for this, that I'm not getting?

What is a "nacheinander"?

Can I ask what was the reason for writing this song and why did you write about it?

It's good, I like it and I can't wait to hear it. I'll say no more on it, until I've listened to it. I may hate it then, but so far, so good. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Few things there Burial.
    Thanks for the congats...BANNED!(ooh feel the power).

I'm having a mare with uploading. I've a pain in the brain trying and have given up 'til I can get some assistance and guidance on Myspacing from a teenager. For they are the future and the true guides. They're just to slippery to bundle into the back of vans these days and people are bound to jump to conclusions.

The Chemical Brothers is interesting and perhaps there is some element of connectivety there. I generally avoid making comparisons with my work and other works (just a thing I have) however i realise it can be a useful tool to throw people towards the general field of operations.( The tune is very Erik Satie, if I was drawing a comparison).

Not as random as you may expect. Although, just because i wrote it that doesn't mean it has to mean the same for anyone else.
    Firstly I plonked away on a tune but I wasn't sure what it was telling me. I recorded it and played it over enough times to inbed it in my mind. I'd play it through headphones whilst walking etc. A week or so ago I was in Sandycove on a cold sharp day and Joyce's Ulysses came to mind and slowly the tune came into my head and married with the pictures I had drawn in my mind of the book. I watched the big waves splash over the 40foot whilst considering this marriage proposal like a Pakistani goatherder pondering his 9 year old daughter's latest suiter.
    I thought in play/opera form. A man speaking/singing in soliloquy, water dropping into wine glasses setting the pace and tone. Stage is set. Mood is drawn.
    Some lines are directly lifted from Ulysses most are not. They are reflections reflected once again.
    The "le" is there for two reasons. 1stly; balance in the rhythm, a 'the' wouldn't fit perfect. 2ndly the 'le' works with the character, a big flat Dub treating his linguistics to a tipple of continental in his own room. Remember this man says lines like..."Out cames it a fallen...". See?

Nacheinander is a German word which roughly means Repeat. One after the other in the way an AK47 would rattle its round out.(Or indeed a Deathwatch Beetle).

Sen.David Norris has thrown his eye over it and has warned me on the litigious nature of the Joyce Estate. To which I give two fingers. I'm hoping that he'll be able to interprit the tune to piano and maybe we can develop the depth of sound, we'll see how that goes.

As for the Airingroom it's all explained on the thread on this forum. Have a read and see what you think, all's welcome. Mind you it's been a few weeks since the last one as I've fallen between two stools at the moment and location at present is a little tricky.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

1by1.gif
    Here's the music. It's just a rough outline as I'm working on playing it on piano. So over the chrimbo it may nearly be there.
    Words start about 21 seconds in.(For reading...not brave enough to sing. I don't have right voice for this one either.

The recording isn't great as I'm just getting used to every thing so go in hard critically on the music but go easy on the production values. It's a sketch of an idea.

Ignore the 2 other tunes on it as they're for something different. Also works in progress.

Advertisement