Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My poor soup

• 04-11-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

I made homemade stock last night from a chicken carcass ... simmered for an hour and a half....

Prepared a fridge full of vegetables - potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions, sweetcorn and celery and boiled it up and simmered for about two hours with thyme, tarragon and rosemary.

Added water, milk, cornflour and brought to the boil again to thicken it up.

.... and what happened?!

I BURNT IT!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Now my chicken soup stinks of burnt carrots and I'm gutted. Is there any way of saving it so my hard earned efforts don't go to waste? It tasted great before ...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm sorry but I don't think so - no matter what you do it'll probably still taste burnt :(

I once burnt apple I was stewing and had to throw out the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I couldn't bare to throw it out so I stuck it in the freezer - perhaps 'cold' will get rid of the taste.

Boo hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

do you keep potatoes in the fridge??

Beerlao wrote: »
    do you keep potatoes in the fridge??

yeah actually ... can't think of any where better to keep 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Glowing wrote: »
    I made homemade stock last night from a chicken carcass ... simmered for an hour and a half....

Prepared a fridge full of vegetables - potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onions, sweetcorn and celery and boiled it up and simmered for about two hours with thyme, tarragon and rosemary.

.... and what happened?!

Now my chicken soup stinks of burnt carrots and I'm gutted. Is there any way of saving it so my hard earned efforts don't go to waste? It tasted great before ...

Had you not burnt it, do you not find the Tarragon and Rosemary a bit overpowering in a light chicken soup?

Simmer for 2 hours?
    All the veg would be cooked in half an hour.

• Advertisement

Yep, makes a lovely thick soup. I used a little fresh rosemary and dried tarragon - it's lovely for winter, creamy and filling.

That's the way I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's the way I like it.

And that's the important thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

I think the milk was the problem - I always find if I add the milk at the very last minute on a very low heat it doesn't burn.

Unfortunately, the freezer will not save this soup :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

No - I'd say it was the cornflour. Once you thicken it, you need to look after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chefsden

.... and what happened?!

it's a pity, all the hard work ,, there is nothing that can get rid of the burnt flavour from the food it very strong and kills all other flavour,, cornflour will burn in the bot if the flame is high, you will need to stir it very often because the startch with start to thicken once a temperature of about 60-70oc is reached and take all the moisture and burn.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your sympathy :)

I had some the other day, if you add plenty of salt, it tastes just about okay! You kinda loose the smoky burnt flavour after a few spoonfuls.

Yeah I'd say it was the cornflour, will have to be more careful next time :D

Advertisement