Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading up my Saloon

Options
  • 04-11-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Couple of questions about buying a second hand saloon (I currently drive a 1.4L petrol 99 Polo classic with 78K miles on it):

1. I do a lot of motorway miles at the weekend (Dublin to Kilkenny or Cork) and hardly any driving during the week in traffic so think a diesel is the way forward. Is this a good idea?

2. I've been looking into trading up to one of the following: Audi A4 1.9Tdi, BMW 320d, Honda Accord 2.0d, Mazda 6 2.0d, Volvo S40 diesel. Any opinions on these machines: which are good and which not so good? I'd like to pay less than €10K cash with the trade in of my old Polo, and am looking for a decent looking, reliable saloon with no more than 60K miles on it. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

3. How much road tax can I expect to pay for a 1.9 or 2 litre diesel?

4. Any opinions on the website www.ukdirect.ie for buying from the UK? Seems to come up a lot in carzone and looks quite professional. Good prices too.

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rgiller wrote: »

3. How much road tax can I expect to pay for a 1.9 or 2 litre diesel?

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/motortax_rates_2008_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

IMO the Honda Accord diesel would be my choice - everyone is driving Audi's, & BMW's these days, and the Mazda 6 is basically a Mondeo.

One of my uncles has a 2.2 '04 Accord and does similar mileage to yourself - country runs every now and again and mainly motorway and N road driving during the week. Comes with all the gadgets you'd expect as well as Leather interior and met paint.

Big step up from a Polo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Thanks for the information so far. I've seen a few Accords around and it's definitely the plainest of the bunch from the outside, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Any other thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Accord diesel is 2.2 litre, not 2.0 litre like the others. Good spec and value on them in the UK second hand which more than makes up for the extra bit on road tax.

Advertisement