Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goods bought from a gumtree seller

Options
  • 04-11-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

i saw an ad on gumtree ireland selling dvds
    i bought Lost nd 24 DVDs from the seller
    since he was based in tipperarry i asked him to post it
    i paid him via bank transfer
    3 days after payment, no sign of goods.
    on asking he said he posted it long back
    after 2 weeks of asking everyday..he said looks like dvds are lost
    i will post again
    next day on asking he said he sent again but movie dvds.
    but these dint arrive too.

i am receiving other stuff by post.
    now i have paid and no goods..
    he is just arguing with me...

what should i do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ask for your money back. Its a private person to person sale, nothing to gumtree can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

i saw an ad on gumtree ireland selling dvds
    i bought Lost nd 24 DVDs from the seller
    since he was based in tipperarry i asked him to post it
    i paid him via bank transfer
    3 days after payment, no sign of goods.
    on asking he said he posted it long back
    after 2 weeks of asking everyday..he said looks like dvds are lost
    i will post again
    next day on asking he said he sent again but movie dvds.
    but these dint arrive too.

i am receiving other stuff by post.
    now i have paid and no goods..
    he is just arguing with me...

what should i do???
    Do you think this person is selling these items as a business? It certainly looks like that if he/she is able to send replacements - remember if he/she is doing it to make money (and not just to sell personal items) then it is a business. If that is the case then you are actually covered by the Sale of Goods and Supply of services act 1980.

Your best bet here is to ask for your money back like ongarite posted. If he/she refuses then try and sus out if this person is running some sort of business, if yes then you could bring them to the small claims court (you will need their address etc). I would send them a registered letter requesting refund so that you can produce it for the small claims court (makes you look more reasonable to them too).

Don't pay by bank transfer for purchases if possible - you have very little protection.

I have seen where people have pulled back money that they have transferred via their bank - contact your bank and see if that is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

he says he is not a business..
    he is selling used dvds from his collection.
    i asked for a refund and he refused to give refund.
    he blames i have sent dvds and i am lying :-(

he said he sent me a replacement - of different set of movies dvds which i did not want
    it is more than a week now and even the second parcel has not arrived

looks like he is bluffing by saying that parcel sent.
    i feel he has not sent any goods to me

he is refusing to refund..

this is one to one sale and no business involved

what are my chances???

what are my chances???
    You have no rights on a private deal then. You could try the bank route but it is doubtful.

Looks like you will have to chalk it up to experience and move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

WTF were you thinking sending money to some randomer on gumtree? You didn't stop to think that maybe this guy might just keep your money and send sweet FA?

Beggars belief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

You have been ripped off simple as that.never ever buy anything online with a bank transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The money is gone. If you have his address (a real one that is) then you could call to his house. Otherwise, live and learn.

since the seller was a local from tipperarry..i never doubted him :-(
    a good lesson learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How do you know that the seller was really from Tipperary?

he told me :-(
    and he had a AIB a/c
    so i trusted him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Let me see, you where buying counterfit goods, copies of LOST and 24 and you got ripped off,
    well serves you right, is all i can say....
    they are other routes you can go to make his life a misery......

well, so many people sell original DVDs and CDs.
    this guy was selling was selling original(from his ad) movie DVDs and boxsets
    since he said he is based out of dublin and collection from tipperarry, we agreed on post
    im sure we do this lot many times on adverts too.
    he gave his aib a/c and i made the transfer :-(

there was no way i could say this guy was a cheat
    im sure he was not a scammer from outside ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

robtri wrote: »
    Let me see, you where buying counterfit goods, copies of LOST and 24 and you got ripped off,
    well serves you right, is all i can say....
    they are other routes you can go to make his life a misery......

How do you know their counterfeit ... he said their from his used DVD collection which is perfectly legal to sell.

since he said he is based out of dublin and collection from tipperarry,

He's in Dublin, but posts his private sale, non-business, DVDs from Tipperary? Scam-o-rama!

jor el wrote: »
    He's in Dublin,

how do you know he is in dublin???

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OP, i have some magic beans you can buy, just send me a blank cheque to my Donegal address and I'll have my shipping dept based in Limerick forward them to our mailing station in Wexford, you should have them in 3 working days

So what have we learned today children?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

You could contact AIB and ask for the transfer to be cancelled, but they will need to contact him for authorisation, so unlikely if he's a scammer.

how do you know he is in dublin???

eh, do you not remember writing this?
    he said he is based out of dublin and collection from tipperarry
    That's how.
    You could contact AIB and ask for the transfer to be cancelled, but they will need to contact him for authorisation, so unlikely if he's a scammer.

I don't think the banks have any system in place for reversing a lodgement or credit transfer. They'll likely tell you to contact the recipient and ask them to give the money back. In either case, they won't be able to force the seller to do anything, and even contacting them on your behalf might be out of their remit.

jor el wrote: »
    That's how.
    I don't think just because the seller says he is dublin that he actually is.

axer wrote: »
    I don't think just because the seller says he is dublin that he actually is.

My point is that the seller told the buyer, up front, that he was in Dublin, but would post his DVDs from Tipp. Now if that doesn't scream scam, I don't know what does.

• Advertisement

sorry for mis typing or understanding
    what i meant was seller told he is not from dublin...but from tipperary and so cant meet me for collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ask for proof of postage and proof of delivery. To put money in his account you must have his name and bank branch - should be easy to find him if that's your next step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Gumtree is infested with scammers as its policing and admin is almost non existent. I would only purchase from this site COD or a call out in the case of the motor trade.

Lost is a hot product for bootleggers because it has a much longer shelf life than the average movie release and it sells well.

This guy sounds like a scammer and a bootlegger. If he has several adds posted selling the same type of stuff I would smell a rat. It would not take much to set him up and contact INFACT or the Gardai. They could chase him up through if they took the case serious.

Advertisement