Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ECU replacement cost

Options
  • 04-11-2008 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

How much does it cost to replace a faulty ECU on a Renault Megane?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Back in the day you would have to do something like the picture. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    How much does it cost to replace a faulty ECU on a Renault Megane?
    do youknow whats wrong with it. before shelling out , i wouldcheck very carefully that its not be just a loose wire/connector or something. a few years back i blew a ford one by accidentally shorting 2 wires. smoke started coming out of it so i was convinced it was completely shagged. i cracked it open and after spendiong 3p on aresistor in peats,it was good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Scrapyard or ebay (see below)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-SCENIC-MEGANE-1-6-8V-MAIN-ECU_W0QQitemZ180302813278QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180302813278

It's not just a case of bolting in a new ECU though, you will need a good diagnostic tech to get it to work in your car. BTW who diagnosed that the car needs a replacement ECU? Sometimes if a garage is having difficulty fixing a problem they'll decide that "it must be the ECU" without actually going through a logical process to reach this conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Scrapyard or ebay (see below)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-SCENIC-MEGANE-1-6-8V-MAIN-ECU_W0QQitemZ180302813278QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180302813278

It's not just a case of bolting in a new ECU though, you will need a good diagnostic tech to get it to work in your car. BTW who diagnosed that the car needs a replacement ECU? Sometimes if a garage is having difficulty fixing a problem they'll decide that "it must be the ECU" without actually going through a logical process to reach this conclusion.

My mechanic can't find out what the problem is. He said that someone he knew diagnosed a faulty ecu.

I should have brought the car back to the dealer for a proper diagnostic since small garage are ok for mechanical problems but when it comes to electrics they have no clue. Now I am doomed because this mechanic must have made a mess by trying to solve the prb.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

You sure you can't get it recoded? Loads of places on the net offering refurbished ECU's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    My mechanic can't find out what the problem is. He said that someone he knew diagnosed a faulty ecu.

I should have brought the car back to the dealer for a proper diagnostic since small garage are ok for mechanical problems but when it comes to electrics they have no clue. Now I am doomed because this mechanic must have made a mess by trying to solve the prb.
    So nobody knows what is wrong but they still want you to fork out on an ECU?
    What is the problem with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

kbannon wrote: »
    So nobody knows what is wrong but they still want you to fork out on an ECU?
    What is the problem with the car?

+1

Its always too easy to blame the ECU, if they can't find the problem.

They'll need to have the correct tools / skill to scope the various inputs/outputs from the ECU, before they can declare the ECU is faulty...

Advertisement