Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Player Gets Cal Up to Ireland Squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Gareth37 wrote: »
    To the Northern Ireland squad that is, a team ranked higher ranked higher than the Republic. :pac:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/mcginn-picked-for-northern-irelands-hungary-friendly-14033846.html

This really makes a joke out of Brady's ignoration in relation tot he LOI.

Well done Niall McGinn, Derry City and Irish football.

:)

oh well if they are ranked higher then they must be better and we should absolutely call up some LoI players to show we are just as desperate good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

oh well if they are ranked higher then they must be better and we should absolutely call up some LoI players to show we are just as desperate good....

The fact Irish people in general are blind, especially Dubs ;).

You will see NI winning again with McGinn creating chance after chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

The fact Irish people in general are blind, especially Dubs ;).

You will see NI winning again with McGinn creating chance after chance

he is obviously not good enough to play for the inferior team! ;) or is it a case that the IFA would "spaz out" again?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

To the Northern Ireland squad that is, a team ranked higher ranked higher than the Republic. :pac:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/mcginn-picked-for-northern-irelands-hungary-friendly-14033846.html

This really makes a joke out of Brady's ignoration in relation tot he LOI.

Well done Niall McGinn, Derry City and Irish football.

:)

Amazed by this. He's certainly good enough for them, but I'm surprised he's been called up at all. NW is a joke. McCourt has only one cap, but Hamilton has five!

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Amazed by this. He's certainly good enough for them, but I'm surprised he's been called up at all. NW is a joke. McCourt has only one cap, but Hamilton has five!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdIgZLX0WK0

Nice :)

• Advertisement

I'd seen it already, lovely goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Delighted for him and the league. That's two internationals now, iirc, Kalonas and McGinn. 37th and 33rd in the world and the Republic are 35th.

Well, if the FAI want to keep believing that England is the Motherland...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Well, if the FAI want to keep believing that England is the Motherland...:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

It may not be the motherland but it is hone to a number of leagues that are of much much higher quality than the LOI - therefore, it makes sense that most players in the squad play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

McGinn is very exciting player.

Stephen Kenny has a great eye for a player.

Remember him taking Bobby Ryan and turning him into a big EL player when nobody knew who he was.

Tusky wrote: »

It may not be the motherland but it is hone to a number of leagues that are of much much higher quality than the LOI - therefore, it makes sense that most players in the squad play there.

Chelsea and Liverpool losing tonight in Europe, they are top of the main British league. can't be that good :pac:

• Advertisement

Delighted for him and the league. That's two internationals now, iirc, Kalonas and McGinn. 37th and 33rd in the world and the Republic are 35th.

Currently:
    35 - Norn Iron
    37 - Lithuania
    38 - Republic of Ireland (embarrassing considering most of the players "play" in the EPL)

A number = 2. Much higher quality = 1.

Recently we've played players who:
    1. don't get their game, play reserve team football or warm the bench
    2. have struggled to make any impact in the Championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Pure Cork wrote: »
    38 - Republic of Ireland (embarrassing considering most of the players "play" in the EPL)

would i not be correct in saying the premiership players in the irish squad are in the minority these days?

Helix wrote: »
    would i not be correct in saying the premiership players in the irish squad are in the minority these days?

Premiership players are still the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Bare in mind this is the country that brought Felix Healy to the world cup. They've always been short of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

This really makes a joke out of Brady's ignoration

kenan_kel_th.jpg

Ignorratiooooonnnnnnnnnn??? :confused:

Says as much about the lack of Nordies playing in England tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

It does.
    But does it make sense that the selectors seem determined that absolutely none are to come from an Irish club?

The fact is that once he plays for NI against Hungary Brady and co won't be able to even look at him. I don't think hes exceptional myself but hes better than Andy Reid and Liam Miller

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

The fact is that once he plays for NI against Hungary Brady and co won't be able to even look at him. I don't think hes exceptional myself but hes better than Andy Reid and Liam Miller
    If he was better than Miller and Reid he would be playing for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Chelsea and Liverpool losing tonight in Europe, they are top of the main British league. can't be that good :pac:

Great argument there, how are the LOI teams getting on in the champions league??

Great argument there, how are the LOI teams getting on in the champions league??
    Not that great*, tbh (although watch out for the mighty Bohs in 2009).

*Clue: there's a theory that it has to do with all of the people who should be supporting them bandwagonning on British teams instead.

• Advertisement

SectionF wrote: »
    Not that great*, tbh (although watch out for the mighty Bohs in 2009).

*Clue: there's a theory that it has to do with all of the people who should be supporting them bandwagonning on British teams instead.

There is also a theory that Ireland as a country is not financially capable of substaining a financially viable and competitive league as the resources, players, money, facilities etc. etc do not exist and never will, this is not something that pleases me in any way but it is the reality and I think its over-simplistic to call anyone who supports a team outside of the LOI as jumping on a bandwagon, take myself for example I live in North Tipperary, the fact is there is no team anywhere near me, the nearest team would be Limerick but what affinity or loyalty would i or should i have to them, so no I dont support them and make no apologies for it tbh.

There is also a theory that Ireland as a country is not financially capable of substaining a financially viable and competitive league as the resources, players, money, facilities etc. etc do not exist and never will, this is not something that pleases me in any way but it is the reality and I think its over-simplistic to call anyone who supports a team outside of the LOI as jumping on a bandwagon, take myself for example I live in North Tipperary, the fact is there is no team anywhere near me, the nearest team would be Limerick but what affinity or loyalty would i or should i have to them, so no I dont support them and make no apologies for it tbh.

Ireland is supposed to be the richest country in the world (at least thats what the FF and FG literature said at the last election) :D

If enough young players are brought through by as many clubs as possible then anything is possible. To compete at a high level in Europe and to win trophies in Ireland clubs have not got the resources to invest nor the time to wait to develop these players themselves. UCD are a prime example of this.

I like Wexford's system and this should be an example to all first division clubs and part time/amateur clubs: pay the players nothing and play nothing but young players. Eventually when the young players have developed start a low cost full time set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

so you follow a team hundreds of miles away in another country that you have more affinity or loyalty to? :confused:

In fact, don't bother, I'm bored of these sureal justifications for ole ole ism.

so you follow a team hundreds of miles away in another country that you have more affinity or loyalty to? :confused:

In fact, don't bother, I'm bored of these sureal justifications for ole ole ism.

Hundreds of miles??? buy an atlas like a good man, and the reason I support a team from an other league is quite simple really I'v been a Celtic supporter since I was ten, because my father used to live in Glasgow and supported them all he's life not that I need to justify anything to you:mad:

It's striking how in these discussions north Tipperary/deepest Leitrim emerge as hotbeds of support for association football on the island.
    The fact is that most Irish football fans live somewhere in reasonable striking distance of an LoI ground, most don't have family ties to particular clubs, and the strongest link they have with their club of choice is via a button on their remote.

It's striking how in these discussions north Tipperary/deepest Leitrim emerge as hotbeds of support for association football on the island.

What exactly are you trying to say here are you suggesting Im not fron Tipp?? There are plenty of counties that have no LOI football team just in munster alone you have Tipp, Clare and Kerry thats 3 out of 6. You do know that people outside the pale have an interest in football aswell :P

my father used to live in Glasgow and supported them all he's life not that I need to justify anything to you:mad:

Thats great, you must be delighted that Glasgow Rangers managed to get an equaliser last night, since your dad is from Glasgow? In fact, you must be delighted how well they get on each season in the Scottish Premier League, first and second each season.

My mother used to live in Sligo but there is no chance of me ever supporting Sligo Rovers :P

What exactly are you trying to say here are you suggesting Im not fron Tipp?? There are plenty of counties that have no LOI football team just in munster alone you have Tipp, Clare and Kerry thats 3 out of 6. You do know that people outside the pale have an interest in football aswell :P

The point he is making is that its inane in the extreme to ignore the domestic game because there is no club near you and support a foreign one instead, one thats further away.

The point he is making is that its inane in the extreme to ignore the domestic game because there is no club near you and support a foreign one instead, one thats further away.

My point was that I have never had any reason to support any LOI team and never had any exposure to the league as a youngster so why would i have ever supported any team involved just because they play in a league that happens to be played in the country where i live

• Advertisement

Thats great, you must be delighted that Glasgow Rangers managed to get an equaliser last night, since your dad is from Glasgow? In fact, you must be delighted how well they get on each season in the Scottish Premier League, first and second each season.

My mother used to live in Sligo but there is no chance of me ever supporting Sligo Rovers :P

Who do you support if you dont mind me asking??

Who do you support if you dont mind me asking??

Well my great grandmother worked in Birmingham for 3 weeks in 1898 so I support Birmingham City, Aston Villa and surrounding teams such West Bromich Albion, Stoke, Coventry City and Birmingham Harriers Under 17s.

british.jpg

You do know that people outside the pale have an interest in football aswell :P
    Indeed, I have heard reports of such interest in such far-flung places as Cork (City), Galway (United), Sligo (Rovers) and, forsooth, even Donegal (Harps)!

All of these places are to me, as a simple 'pale' dweller, most exotic, but, being on the same land mass, none of them is as far away as Liverpool, Manchester, or Chelsea Fulham.

Well if your going to be such an ar*e about it I wont even bother trying to debate this with you any more, or is it that you are sooo ashamed of the team you support that you wont reveal it?

Well if your going to be such an ar*e about it I wont even bother trying to debate this with you any more, or is it that you are sooo ashamed of the team you support that you wont reveal it?

Support your nearest LOI first, then your favourite British second ;)

Indeed, I have heard reports of such interest in such far-flung places as Cork (City), Galway (United), Sligo (Rovers) and, forsooth, even Donegal (Harps)!

All of these places are to me, as a simple 'pale' dweller, most exotic, but, being on the same land mass, none of them is as far away as Liverpool, Manchester, or Chelsea Fulham.

Linfield, Glentoran, Dungannon etc are all on the same ''land mass'' also, would it be o.k. with you if we all started supporting these teams

• Advertisement

Support your nearest LOI first, then your favourite British second ;)

If thats what you do then thats your perogative and i admire you for it, but it does not mean that anyone who doesnt follow a team in the LOI is some sort of bandwagonner or hypocrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fun times, fun times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

If thats what you do then thats your perogative and i admire you for it, but it does not mean that anyone who doesnt follow a team in the LOI is some sort of bandwagonner or hypocrite

Well when the next international week rolls around please continue your lack of interest in Irish football okay. If you don't, then you're jumping on that bandwagon when it suits you.

podge018 wrote: »
    Well when the next international week rolls around please continue your lack of interest in Irish football okay. If you don't, then you're jumping on that bandwagon when it suits you.

Not really they are two completely different things, there wont be any LOI players playing in it for a start and btw i do follow and support my local junior soccer club

There is also a theory that Ireland as a country is not financially capable of substaining a financially viable and competitive league as the resources, players, money, facilities etc. etc do not exist and never will, this is not something that pleases me in any way but it is the reality

Just because it a full-time professional league hasn't worked as smoothly as we'd like, doesn't mean that it's not possible. We shouldn't give up on having a completely full-time professional league just because it didn't work once. We should learn from the mistakes that have been made.

Most English football clubs aren't sustainable. Not just EPL clubs either.

What do you mean by a "competitive league", and "players don't exist"?

Why do you think LOI clubs don't have the money to have completely full-time squads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We are nowhere near the richest country in the world. Believing that shows a distinct lack of knowledge of economic fundamentals.

How do most European countries with a population of 4m get on in the CL?

It is arguable O'Shea is a better player merely training with the likes of Giggs, Ronaldo etc as opposed to some lad getting his game in the LOI. The standards for me are miles apart-hell if that many LOI players were prem or Champ quality they would be getting snapped up in their hordes weekly by British clubs with knowledgable and sophosticated socuting systems.

Hundreds of miles??? buy an atlas like a good man
    Over 280 miles between Tipperary and Glasgow.

Linfield, Glentoran, Dungannon etc are all on the same ''land mass'' also, would it be o.k. with you if we all started supporting these teams

Of course. Why wouldn't it be ok? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

noodler wrote: »
    How do most European countries with a population of 4m get on in the CL?
    Norway, Georgia, Croatia and Moldova are the only other European countries with a population of 4m. Only Norway and Croatia have had teams qualify for the group stages of the CL.

Of countries smaller than Ireland, only Cyprus (Anorthosis splashed a lot of cash about and built a team that way), Monaco (AS Monaco via French league) and Slovenia (Artmedia beat Kairat Almaty, Celtic :D and Partizan on penos, finished third in their group then went out of the UEFA Cup in the round of 32 to Levski Sofia) have had teams qualify for the CL group stages.

It is possible for countries of 4m and <4m to support leagues good enough to produce decent teams which can qualify for the Champion's League. In 2006 in Norway, the average attendance at matches was 9097.

It would be odd it 'you all', whoever you all are, starting supporting those teams. It'd be more natural to have allegiance to a team slightly nearer to you on the island.

Incidentally, it's also 'ok with me' if you support Chelsea, LA Galaxy or Fenerbahce, or whoever else is on the box. But professing yourself a football fan and refusing to support your home league does seem to be missing the point.

It would be odd it 'you all', whoever you all are, starting supporting those teams. It'd be more natural to have allegiance to a team slightly nearer to you on the island.

Incidentally, it's also 'ok with me' if you support Chelsea, LA Galaxy or Fenerbahce, or whoever else is on the box. But professing yourself a football fan and refusing to support your home league does seem to be missing the point.

I do support my ''home league'' but it happens to be a Junior league and not the farce that is the LOI (professional league my ar*e)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I means you are a..........

12664_300.jpg

(I love posting that I do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

It is possible for countries of 4m and <4m to support leagues good enough to produce decent teams which can qualify for the Champion's League. In 2006 in Norway, the average attendance at matches was 9097.

That’s a fairly amazing figure tbh. It is also worth noting that the EPL is widely followed in Norway(much like in Ireland) as well as numerous other leagues and yet their local league doesn’t suffer. Basically shows that on the whole Irish football fans can’t be arsed supporting their local team. I think it is perfectly acceptable for an Irish person to support an English team but I’m surprised when those same supporters don’t have any interest for their local side.
    Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances such as proximity. For example who is the ‘local’ team of someone who is from Athboy in Meath for example, or Cavan town???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Surely the domestic game is the GAA, why follow a foreign sport like soccer anyway? Loads of local teams on your doorstep in fact by your 'lets stay local' it's the only logical thing to do.
    My nearest team is Athlone town 15 miles away and seen as there is feck all locals following them why should I as they are brutal. I'd rather watch and occasionally do Skyvalley Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

patmac wrote: »
    Surely the domestic game is the GAA, why follow a foreign sport like soccer anyway? Loads of local teams on your doorstep in fact by your 'lets stay local' it's the only logical thing to do.
    My nearest team is Athlone town 15 miles away and seen as there is feck all locals following them why should I as they are brutal. I'd rather watch and occasionally do Skyvalley Rovers.
    who are presumably even more brutal than Athlone Town

• Advertisement
Advertisement