Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foglights on Today FM now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just some quotes whilst I was listening. Its hard to type fast and listen.

"Drivers of cars such as BMWs or Honda or such like"

"Quite hard on the eyes"

"Rear ones are even but the front ones are distracting and dazzling"

"Recommendation""Must know when to use fog lights and only use in dense fog or heavy snow"

"Broken headlights or one eyed jacks""look like motorbikes"

"using rear fogs lights can be mistaken for tail lights"

"rear fogs dazzle drivers"

"glare in the rear view mirror when using front fog lights"

"only use them when it foggy and snowy"

"1st group use them as spot lights and fashion accessory"

"2ng group think they provide better lighting"

"3rd group dont even know they are there or dont understand how to use them"

"4th group dont understand the buttons or the symbols that are on the car"

"Matt said" why dont people hoot them out of it when using their fog lights like the do when your dipped arent on or are full on?"

"Gardai have said it is an offence and will advise them to turn them off but there is no penalty points of fines".

There are just the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I missed it dang it, just tuned in as he was saying bye to them. Do todayfm record all their programs?

EDIT: Just seen you highlighted the main points discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They do (check the page for Last Word) but the above presie is very accurate.

Mike

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Just some quotes whilst I was listening. Its hard to type fast and listen.

Good job

They update their broadcasts at 7.30pm. Link.

• Advertisement

"Matt said" why dont people hoot them out of it when using their fog lights like the do when your dipped arent on or are full on?"

Taught this was interesting, Always taught the same myself. To start flashing Fog light drivers would be the way to solve this problem but i see this a danger also. If a person is blinding you the correct procedure is not to flash but slow down AFAIK

kikel wrote: »
    Taught this was interesting, Always taught the same myself. To start flashing Fog light drivers would be the way to solve this problem but i see this a danger also. If a person is blinding you the correct procedure is not to flash but slow down AFAIK

I'm not quoting the ROTR but to my knowledge it's, slow down or stop if necessary and look at the verge at your side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

"Gardai have said it is an offence and will advise them to turn them off but there is no penalty points of fines".

I often wonder would "Driving without reasonable consideration" cover it? (2 points, €80)

Or what does that normally cover? (it sounds like a "catch-all")

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is this a foglight thread that got in under the radar?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is this a foglight thread that got in under the radar?
    I think Matt's researchers might dip in here now and then.

Although when he does a piece on the awesome power of the 1.9 VAG Tdi, he'll have gone too far...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Special dispensation for threads started by retired Motors Mods ;)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mike65 wrote: »

Mike

Or so you would like to believe :D

mike65 wrote: »

Mike

BAN HIM

only kiddin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What got me was he insinuation that people drivings BMW's, Honda's and such like........................such like what???

Here is one main issue. If foglights are so damn important then why are they an added extra on cars?

So the bigger and more expensive cars generally come with them as standard. BMW are standard(AFAIK) and Honda's come with everything(usually).

Little Fiesta & Micra drivers(and such like) whom buy the smallest entry level model get nothing with their cars and are lucky to get rear fog lights.

I had a Toyota Hi-lux which came from a main dealer and the main dealer had to install a fog light when he received delivery of it. Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Little Fiesta & Micra drivers(and such like) whom buy the smallest entry level model get nothing with their cars and are lucky to get rear fog lights.
    Funny you should say that, the previous model Micra had the brightest front fogs in its class! Always on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

It has never been as bad as it is this year (or something is wrong with my eye sight). Travelling from Newbridge yesterday and at one set of traffic lights, 14 cars came my direction, out of which 8 had their fog lights on!
    It's an easy money making machine for the revenue. Give people 2 penalty point for dangerous driving (at the end of the day, that's what they are doing).
    One question, is it morally acceptable if a car is coming in your direction and blinding you with his Halfords fog light to shine your fog light at him (her most cases) just as a warning?
    About a month ago on the RCR, a car was tailgating me with foglights on. Finally at NLX, at the traffic lights I switched my back fog light just to warn him that he was blinding me. He got really upset and blared the full headlams at me and started gesticulating!
    Having worked with people from the continent who do not think much about our driving culture, most of them were shocked with the indiscriminate use of foglights left-right and centre.
    End of rant

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The easy solution is to make the foglight dash light flicker on and off or a beep that goes when the foglights have been on for more than 10 mins or so.

It would most likely only happen once to each eejit that doesnt know what foglights are for or that they exist before they check the manual/ask online or a friend or go to a dealer to be educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Here is one main issue. If foglights are so damn important then why are they an added extra on cars?

So the bigger and more expensive cars generally come with them as standard. BMW are standard(AFAIK) and Honda's come with everything(usually).

I had a Toyota Hi-lux which came from a main dealer and the main dealer had to install a fog light when he received delivery of it. Madness!!

Rear fogs are mandatory on new cars now.
    Front fogs are still optional (legally), but are included on more and more cars as items that were extras have become standard items.
    Also, a lot of cars sold in Ireland in the past were based on UK-spec models (with the good bits removed because of VRT), but front fogs ended up on a lot of cars sold here because of that (they need front fogs a lot more as the UK gets a lot more fog than we do, and it's often much denser too)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The easy solution is to make the foglight dash light flicker on and off or a beep that goes when the foglights have been on for more than 10 mins or so.

It would most likely only happen once to each eejit that doesnt know what foglights are for or that they exist before they check the manual/ask online or a friend or go to a dealer to be educated.

So what happens when you need to drive 30mins in the fog? You will then end up with eejit's driving in dangerous conditions with no lights!

So what happens when you need to drive 30mins in the fog? You will then end up with eejit's driving in dangerous conditions with no lights!

You can flick it off and on again. Like with the wipers if you are driving in light rain or drizzle.

Either way, when your in fog (I've never been in fog for 30 mins here) and you know how to use your fog lights properly, you'll know the blinking light on your dash is a reminder and not a "your car is goingto blow up" light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I heard the piece and it covered the issue well. It's a pet hate of mine.

I would say that around 30% of drivers use their front fogs at night. Some even use them during the day:rolleyes:. They don't provide that much extra light so it's a fashion thing. Some are worse than others when it comes to glaring.

It's something you rarely see in the UK as they enforce the law. It's illegal to use them unless visibility is below 100 meters which equates to pretty thick fog.

Besides the midlands, we rarely get conditions that justifies their use. If we do, you have idiots driving around with their rear foglights on for weeks afterwards.

I don't think a fine is the answer. The Gards should be allowed smash them with a hammer if they are being used in the wrong circumstances. That would sort it.

There's a guy around Donabate who has done a xenon conversion on his old model Celica on both the headlights and similar sized fogs on the modified bumper. A plane will land on his car one of these days. It is absolutely blinding and every car he passes must flash him. But hey, it looks cool:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Just a quick one, and appologies if it has already been covered.

In my experience of modern cars, you have to turn on your lights, then turn on the fog lights. They are not like rain sensing wipers, which come on when the sensors pick up rain on the windscreen. You actually have to turn on the fog lights. To me, this means that the person who turns them on has either been shown, or has read the owners manuel.

This tells me that they know that they have turned on their fog lights.

Now the question that I want answered is:

When there is no fog, what made them decide to turn on their fog lights? :confused:

P.C. wrote: »
    Just a quick one, and appologies if it has already been covered.

In my experience of modern cars, you have to turn on your lights, then turn on the fog lights. They are not like rain sensing wipers, which come on when the sensors pick up rain on the windscreen. You actually have to turn on the fog lights. To me, this means that the person who turns them on has either been shown, or has read the owners manuel.

This tells me that they know that they have turned on their fog lights.

Now the question that I want answered is:

When there is no fog, what made them decide to turn on their fog lights? :confused:

A lot of the time, fogs are a smaller twisty part of the light stalk. I'd say a lot of (stupid) people get into their cars and just turn every bit of the light stalk so that all the lights they have are on.

They should be on a switch on the dash anywaym kept away from the light stalk altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,984 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stekelly wrote: »
    They should be on a switch on the dash anywaym kept away from the light stalk altogether.

They usually are aren't they? :confused:

I'm spoilt by Italian idiot-proofing some times. Lights go off when engine goes off. Foglights and beams cancel when car is restarted but dips don't. Foglights are two seperate buttons on the centre console.

I really struggle to see why people have such a problem with front fogs. They are not blinding by any stretch of the imagination and I dont know how people can handle glare on a sunny day if they are so blinded by fog lights. Any extra light no matter how minimal should be used. I always have my dims and fogs on day and night if for no other reason but to annoy people who dont like it!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

P.C. wrote: »
    To me, this means that the person who turns them on has either been shown, or has read the owners manuel.

Got stopped recently by lady standing next to a Renault. She stood there waving by the side of the road and the hazard lights were on. 'Sorry, I know I shouldn't be let out at all...this' my sons car and I don't know how to turn these blinking lights off?' :)

I really struggle to see why people have such a problem with front fogs. They are not blinding by any stretch of the imagination and I dont know how people can handle glare on a sunny day if they are so blinded by fog lights. Any extra light no matter how minimal should be used. I always have my dims and fogs on day and night if for no other reason but to annoy people who dont like it!:D:D

Your cool. :D :pac: :p

Sorry coouldn't help myself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Rather than talking about punters who have them on unnecessarily, they should be talking about muppets who DONT have them on when required.

Aside from fog and snow, I would argue there are times in torrential rain on motorways/dual carriageways, when fogs are necessary when visibility is poor.

Yay foglight's in the rain :pac:, why don't ye put mirror's on the panel's of your car while your at it. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

Muppet Irish drivers haven't got a clue :o

Advertisement