Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foglights on Today FM now

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If you see a set of headlights and a foglights coming towards you and you think its two cars, you shouldn't be on the road. Get your eyes checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you see a set of headlights and a foglights coming towards you and you think its two cars, you shouldn't be on the road. Get your eyes checked.
    If you feel you really need your fog lights to see those few feet directly in front of your car, where you shouldn't need to be looking anyway, then maybe it's you who needs to get their eyes checked (and/or get your headlights looked at).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

My point was the thread should not exist. As I said early on in this thread no body I have spoken to about this outside internet land can see any problem at all with using front fog lights and I have made the point to quite a lot of people by now. I would have never known people had a problem with them myself had I not seen it on boards.
    Surely the point of the thread is to educate people like yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

My sight is fine, I have them on for a combination of reasons. And all you people keep inferring that my fogs are dazzling, when not a single one of you has seen my car. All of your arguements are moot points, my lights are not dazzling or dangerous.

From the general side of things, the very odd pair of fogs are dazzling, 95% of them are not in my opinion. That's me done, you can all say anything else you like as I won't reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My sight is fine, I have them on for a combination of reasons.
    ... none of which are valid ones though. Certainly not for illuminating the extra few feet directly in front of your car not covered by your dips (if working properly), where, if anything did appear, it'd be too late to react anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Joker wrote: »
    I've always made a point of berating drivers with fog lights on after they've been stopped for speeding or whatever. It's just bad manners, the spot light nature of the lamps just reflects off the road back into your eyes if you're coming against them. Rear fogs will get you a really bad bollicking if you insist on using them when there is no dense fog.

I've seen grannies and boy racers alike using full front and rear when it gets misty or slightly drizzly.

Definitely a pet hate.
    It isn't bad manners. It is feckin illegal!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So what do you drive then out of curiousity? @voodoomelon

My own fogs (pug 406 coupe) are very dazzling and they're probably about 10% stronger than my main dips to boot. My neightbour's 3 series has positively blinding fogs and she's one of the silly c*nts that never turns them off. Toyotas seem to be a big offender too I've found, especially Avensis and Corolla, VWs as well, especially Golfs. Maybe it's where they're focused, maybe the strength of the beams...it doesn't really matter what it is, since the simple solution is not to have them on when it's not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Joker wrote: »
    I've always made a point of berating drivers with fog lights on after they've been stopped for speeding or whatever.

There's no point in doing that because....
    If a Garda told me to switch them off at a checkpoint, I would do so and turn them back on a mile down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It BeeMee wrote: »
    There's no point in doing that because....

I agree...the gardaí should be armed with small hammers and/or cans of black spray paint so they can turn off offenders fogs permanently. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Some fog lights are more blinding then others, and most people never know how blinding theirs are because (oddly) they are behind the wheel. Unless they see another ignorant arse driving the same model with their fog lights on of course. But I'm sure the response is "Wow, same car as mine. With the fog lights on. And it DOES look cool." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

All of your arguements are moot points

It's actually your argument that's moot - using your lights in the fashion you describe is illegal. Any case you make in their defence has to be taken in the context that everything you say is merely hypothetical.
    That's me done, you can all say anything else you like as I won't reply. :)

OK

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Wertz wrote: »
    So what do you drive then out of curiousity? @voodoomelon

He drives :
    I got my 7 series for €12k. Fully loaded with 69k on the clock.

However:
    22MPG round town, which is where I always am. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Why are foglights needed in a lit-up area?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,984 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"to look cool" is the answer I'm expecting. Which translates as "to look like a law breaking knob".

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

My point was the thread should not exist. As I said early on in this thread no body I have spoken to about this outside internet land can see any problem at all with using front fog lights and I have made the point to quite a lot of people by now. I would have never known people had a problem with them myself had I not seen it on boards.

You are one of the culprits who drivers around with fog lights on?
    If you have a problem, just browse away to a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

strangely enough, I live outside of internetland (i'm just a tourist) and I find a significant number of them dazzling. I have nothing to gain from making this statement except possibly educating the odd ignorant w@nker of the error of his ways with both regards for the law and consideration of other drivers.

I think I'm going to start carrying a hammer in my car and make a point of smashing illegally lit fog lights in car parks. then if I can get everyone I know to do it too that'll make it okay because it doesn't matter that the law says that what I'm doing is illegal as long as I believe that I have popular opinion on my side and look cool doing it.

oh no, wait...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

At the end of the day ye cant stop me and the opinion of a few people on the internet is not going to change my ways. Im sure the guards would stop me though, but wait I was waved through a checkpoint a few weeks ago fogs on, UK plates etc so Im not too bothered if its legal or not! I have a good few years driving under my belt including a years driving in the UK which take it from me sorts the people who can drive from those that cant and I am accident free (touch wood)! Im not over confident about my driving ability but I sure as hell know that using front fogs lights should be the absolute least of anyones worrys when they go out on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

Foglights seem to be a bit of a bugbear with a lot of people and make them very emotive. Mine is lack of indicator use which is also illegal, more dangerous IMO and gets very little airtime at all.
    To me, foglight use is OK during the day, I couldn't care less (better than no lights or only parking lights), but in urban areas (which are generally lit up), anywhere at night and almost certainly when raining - I find foglights are used by a degenerative form of selfish thicko. It doesn't help if the fogs are pointing skyward either, some cars as already mentioned are ridiculous (but they do make my Avensis or Micra look cool :rolleyes:).

However when I flip the rear mirror to "dim" if I'm being followed by a car, it's usually for a car equipped with zenon lights, when the car/jeep goes over a bump, those feckers can seriously sear the retina right off your eyeball :D
    I will sign off by mentioning the blithering idiots who fit zenons to diffused lens lights - idiots :mad:

Safe driving !

At the end of the day ye cant stop me and the opinion of a few people on the internet is not going to change my ways.
    unless you happen to meet me in a car park. ;)

so what you're saying is that despite the fact a lot of people on here who are drivers (including one who's a Garda) are telling you that at the very least it is distracting and in a lot of cases dazzling to the point of being dangerous having someone coming at you with their fog lights on when it isn't foggy, not to mention illegal, that you are just going to continue doing it anyway for no other reason than you think it looks cool (i think we've already dismissed any of the other feeble excuses as being complete drivel)?

I'll be sure to look out for your in car parks. I'll be easy enough to spot, I'll be the angry looking 6'5" 19st guy with a hammer. :D

vibe666 wrote: »

I'll be sure to look out for your in car parks. I'll be easy enough to spot, I'll be the angry looking 6'5" 19st guy with a hammer. :D

I will be OK, you will be too dazzled and distracted by my fog lights to do anything and I will make my escape! :D:D

yeah, you got me. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

When I got my first car the salesguy told me he drove the same model. He told me he drives around with side lights and fogs on during the day as he thought it looked cool.
    I thought the same and was unaware of the law regarding fogs so of course I did the same for the first couple of years.

Now I never drive with fogs on unless necessary. I just couldn't be bothered as it adds nothing. If your car doesn't look cool with the lights off then it's never going to look cool.

Anyway just wanted to mention it doesn't bother me if people drive with fogs. I've never been dazzled by fogs. Only misaligned headlights or stupid urban tanks dazzle me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

s.welstead wrote: »
    If your car doesn't look cool with the lights off then it's never going to look cool.
    :D

Advertisement