Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price rant

Options
  • 04-11-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

while id say rants on the price of firearms in this country has been done to death, can someone please explain to me what possible taxes could amount to a €1000 difference in the price of a sig p226 9mm, between here and the us?? anybody a gundealer perhaps??

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=114887883

€377 = $490

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

1 its not a new pistol

2 its an auction, it will probably go for more than $490

nice gun though, should have my cert fo a new p226r soon:D

are you buying a pistol?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It's a buy it now option as well Murph;).
    True it isnt new.Ball par5k figures here,new they are about 690 Euros?? Say tops 200 euros for shipping and handling. The rest?????profit

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Many manufacturers charge different prices for different markets, look at the retail prices of european cars in the US.
    I dont know of any rich gunshop owners, most are shooters whose addiction got out of hand so they started dealing themselves:D

If there was huge money in it why are not more gunshops opening?

Buy online, but dont be upset when you cannot get ammo because your local gunshop closes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I handed over 1500 euro for a Sig Sauer P226 in Cork, when they were going for 1300 euro in Galway at the same time:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mildot

Hi
    Don't forget the VAT rate @ 21% that's €210 per thousand on every firearm for Uncle Brian... soon to be higher in December. That P226 looked very well used I reckon a honest RFD would be selling that for €800. Prices here are very comparable to rest of EU.... totally unfair to compare to US market !. With regards price differences between dealer's here.... Buyer be ware, shop around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

'No international shipments'. You can't get it at this price.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭akira336

Does anyone know the cheapest place id find a glock 17? I know duffy's in galway are doing one for €700. anyone know of anywhere cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BornToKill wrote: »
    'No international shipments'. You can't get it at this price.

B ut thats not to say that they proably wouldn't do a FFL dealer to FFL dealer with US State dept clearence to export outside CONUS.Deliverd to you at a customs post at an Irish airport.;) Seeing it is second hand as well the duty would be alot less than brand new never fired as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Last year I was looking for an S&B 8x56 with illuminated reticle. In a shop here (not naming names) it was 1200. From an on line store its about 850 and can be got for slightly better than that. That's a BIG difference. That's just an off the top of my head example. Leica range finders are another thing which were about 50% more expensive than they should be from elsewhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Shops= mortgage/rent, insurance, staff wages, electricity bills, phone bills, stock costs, alarms monitored security, commercial rates etc(not to mention that a trip to my local dealer is almost a social/educational outing). Online retailers have none of these costs, 9/10 times they don't even carry stock.
    Comparing Irish prices to U.S. prices is ridiculous, the quantity of sales just isnt in the Irish market, for every one item sold in Ireland there would be hundreds sold in the U.S. the more a retailer can buy the more the manufacturer can cut the price.

• Advertisement

Shops= mortgage/rent, insurance, staff wages, electricity bills, phone bills, stock costs, alarms monitored security, commercial rates etc(not to mention that a trip to my local dealer is almost a social/educational outing). Online retailers have none of these costs, 9/10 times they don't even carry stock.
    Comparing Irish prices to U.S. prices is ridiculous, the quantity of sales just isnt in the Irish market, for every one item sold in Ireland there would be hundreds sold in the U.S. the more a retailer can buy the more the manufacturer can cut the price.

So how does that explain stores in England or elsewhere in europe (who have the same costs as above) who also sell online and still beat the Irish lads by a fair chunk (even after postage).

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Again it comes down to quantity of sales and until some Irish dealer gets off their arse and sets up and promotes a decent online store the prices won't change. The fear of the Irish government and Irish people in general of all things firearms related is also a big obstacle to the dealers in this country as they are afraid to have the stock overheads of firearms knowing that the guards could drag their heels for upto 18 months in my own case (for a shotgun) this is a huge gamble to take as a gun that the dealer would have limited credit with the supplier for could be costing upwards of 1000euro which he might be left stuck with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Vegeta wrote: »
    So how does that explain stores in England or elsewhere in europe (who have the same costs as above) who also sell online and still beat the Irish lads by a fair chunk (even after postage).

I'd put it down to sole importers having a monopoly in the market. I'm not going to mention names:rolleyes:

Jonty wrote: »
    I'd put it down to sole importers having a monopoly in the market. I'm not going to mention names:rolleyes:

I was thinking that too while I was typing up my last post. If an RFD is buying something at X and adding 10% its not the 10% that's the problem, its the X.

They can be quite uncompetitive as a result though.

Also if anyone knows someone selling blackhills ammo (especially for .223) let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

How many firearms importers/wholesalers are there in Ireland? I was under the impression that any firearms dealer could import guns. Or any individual with an end user certificate, for that matter.

How does the importer oligopoly work? Is there an importation licence that only they have, or what?

In my own experience, I was quoted €800 for a gun that retails in the USA for less than €300, but I guess you'll find cowboys and rip-off artists in any trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Just to add, when I bought my .308 recently the price (new) in one Kerry shop was €1,275 & I was offered €800 for my .22 & .223 against this price.

In another shop in Cork I was saw the same rifle for €1,110 (new) & offered €1,000 for my two rifles.

No prizes for guessing which one I went with....

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

dimebag249 wrote: »
    How does the importer monopoly work? Is there an importation licence that only they have, or what?

As I understand it, it's a commercial arrangement rather than a legal one.

Joe Bloggs signs a deal with Whizzbang ammo to be their official importer here. He gets a good wholesale rate on the understanding that he buys X number of rounds per year.

If John Doe then tries to buy ammo direct from Whizzbang, he then has to either pay list price (which can make him uncompetitive) or gets told "our official agent in Ireland is Joe Bloggs, deal with him".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Thanks Conor, I getcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IRLConor wrote: »
    Whizzbang ammo
    Ah now here. No names.
    Besides, isn't it Bangwhizz ammo?

Advertisement