Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Position

Options
  • 04-11-2008 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭

What's the best road position for doing your driving test?

I keep getting conflicting opinions from people and it's confusing the hell out of me! Do I want to be in the centre of whatever lane I'm driving in or closer to the left hand side of the lane?

It's amazing just how many things you realise you don't know the week before your test... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's really about driving far enough to the left to allow other motorists to overtake you, but not too close so as to block cyclists, cross bus/cycle lanes unnecessarily. Your road position would also be where you stop when turning right etc. Which would be to the right of your lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

About a doors width from the boundary on the straight - and leave enough room for a cyclist to fall over when overtaking them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RedzDrivingScho

A common thing that people do on large open roads is to tend to drive to close to the middle.....generally try to keep a meter (3 Ft) from the left.....

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apply a bit of common sense also. If the edge of the road is badly broken or has a series of shore openings, move out a little. The examiner won't be impressed by being bumped along.

When turning right, take up a position along the centre line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Left of centre for two way roads is usually fine. Middle of lane for multiple lane roads. Common sense is the most important thing. If you're in slow moving traffic it's probably a good idea to leave enough room for motorbikes to pass you on the right. But on a narrow road if it's a choice between not leaving enough room for push bikes on your left or forcing motorbikes on your right to cross the line to overtake, then I would say leave room for the push bikes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement