Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's a uniquely American problem you don't need to deal with.

• 04-11-2008 7:13pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2008/10/31/casualty-notification-imposters-target-fort-campbell-families/
    FORT CAMPBELL, KY– On Thursday, October 30, a military family member reported two men pretending to be a casualty notification officer and chaplain visited her home and falsely notified her that her deployed Soldier had been killed.

The man impersonating the notification officer was wearing a Class A “dress green” uniform and the other was wearing civilian clergy attire.

There have been a few incidents of this nature in the past two months involving family members living off post, but Thursday’s incident occurred on post. The spouse did not allow the pair into her home and when they left contacted the Family Readiness Support Assistant and Rear Detachment Commander to confirm the information. The command let her know her spouse is still alive and worked to put him in contact with her as soon as possible. Military police were notified and a police report was taken at the scene.

<snip>

I've heard of such things happening before, but I've never heard of a team of two people doing this. Just what do they get out of it?

One day they're going to end up meeting a family member who was just talking to their loved one on the telephone and find themselves on the receiving end of a shotgun.

NTM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

That is mental. What do they get out of it?

They are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Man, that is just wrong, they certainly deserve to meet the end of a shotgun, I would have nothing against anyone that uses it on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

How twisted is that!!!!!!! What is this world coming to?

I saw a documentary where this religious group were campaigning outside a Vets hospital and abusing amputees and badly injured soldiers. I cannot remember the name now but its just plain wrong.

Manic - Do they have a remembrance day in the States for the Military?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

We've got two, actually.

Memorial Day is in May, and is the direct equivalent to Rememberance Day in the UK. Honours servicemen who are now dead.
    Veterans' Day is 11th November, and is to honour servicemen who are still alive. Generally Memorial Day is a more sombre occasion with church ceremonies, wreathlaying and such like (It is also the first three-day weekend in Summer on the US Calendar, and is a party weekend). Veterans' Day is more parades and celebratory.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Thats fu*king low. What kind of sick sad twisted bollix would you have to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It's pretty F***ed up...but not as much as someone who would wish death upon them, like a certain above poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's pretty F***ed up...but not as much as someone who would wish death upon them, like a certain above poster.

Ha, classic... Sooo true.

It is wrong to do this to someone, but wouldn't shooting someone be worse? I think so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Nobody said anything about death.

Though a blast to the leg might make a point.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Hopefully they say it to a wife whos husband just arrived home,they wouldent make it out of the driveway I'd bet.They will get their cummupins soon.......

Advertisement