Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sale of services

• 04-11-2008 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Under Irish Law, is a company legally entitled to include a clause in their terms and conditions which allows them to charge for sale of services, even if no service is being provided?

If yes or no, where in legislation does it say so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Could you explain further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Angelo Pascal

i signed a 12 month contract with a company providing mobile broadband services.

Due to employment, i must relocate to an area where the company can no longer provide this service.

Under their terms and conditions, it states that if for any reason they're unable to provide a service and the customer wishes to terminate the contract, i must pay a termination charge.

My problem is that they can't provide a service where i'm going, so why should i keep paying them for it?

My options are:

1.Pay for each month of the contract remaining, including VAT.
    2.Terminate the contract and pay for each month of the minimum period left, excluding VAT.

These are the only options, and according to my bank, they cannot cancel any direct debit to this company, only the company can!!

Surely there must be something wrong with this? ..its crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Your bank is wrong. You can cancel the direct debit at any time by giving notice in writing to your bank. No reason need to be given.
    Under their terms and conditions, it states that if for any reason they're unable to provide a service and the customer wishes to terminate the contract, i must pay a termination charge.
    I would argue that is an unreasonable contract term and would be struck down by a court if it was ever persued. I would doubt it would ever go to court though.

I would call them up and tell them you have moved to an address where they can't give you service and ask them to cancel the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Angelo Pascal

thanks Bond-007

i'll give them a call tomorrow and visit the bank again.

Advertisement