Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

That system should run everything you want, I would get more than 2Gb of ram though, for the price it is, its worth the cash for the extra ommph!

If it was my system I would also replace that case with the Antec p182http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=81820,
    Its a lot better looking, great on both sound and cooling and is very well built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Cool cheers, Your probably right about the RAM seen as theres as its quite cheap. Do you have that antec case yourself? i didnt notice it on there til now and it is very tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Forget the GTX280 it's a piece of tat value wise, the 4870 has roughly 90% of the power for almost half the price, or for the same price, the 4870X2 cripples it in games.

Psu I would prefer something like this, nothing inherently wrong with your choice but the Corsair is a better job for the same price, give or take a few euro.

CPU is OK, personally I'd stick with something cheaper like the 8400, you're saving 85 quid and it's still more then you'll never need right now in terms of just games. For example what you've picked is an E8600 at 3.33Ghz with 6mb of L2. I'm using an E5200 at 2.5Ghz with 2mb of L2 - cost 70 euro - and games are getting by fine at 1920x1200 with a decent card...I'm not saying you should go for the E5200 but an E8400 would definitely be enough for any gaming based machine.

Obviously with the right choice in video cards (there's no place for the GTX260 or GTX280 in the market apart from fan boy's to be honest) there's no need for a Sli mobo. I always chose cheap motherboards because I've no need for expensive ones. And I do tend to overclock, but never by more then 1ghz or so. I find Gigabyte boards to always be exceptional value for money and unlike other cheap options like ECS and MSI they offer great overclocking options. Someone else will give you a recommendation but don't think you have to buy an expensive board because it's better. Most of them are only better if you genuinely need the features and specific stability they offer.

Also forget that xtreme Audio, piece of crap. It's not a real X-Fi in hardware. Go for this instead.

Ditto on the ram. 4Gb should be the minimum for a brand new build, that said you definitely won't need more then that.

Thanks boss. See what you mean about the gfx card alright. Would an sli mobo not be worth it in the long run though? I was thinking of getting another card a few months down the line when i had a bit of spare cash just to get more performance out of the pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well Sli is for Nvidia cards - Nothing stopping you getting a Crossfire mobo though, but to be honest by the time a 4870X2 becomes too slow, I'd be looking at a system overhaul anyway. :)

The 4870X2....check this out. That's 2560x1600 resolution (30" monitor), max settings, 4xAA + 16xAF in COD4 @ 122 frames per second average. This is the fastest card available on earth - most reviews show it hitting a solid 30fps minimum in Crysis at max settings, with AA and AF, at 1680x1050 - that's more then 8800GTX Sli could manage, to put in into perspective how fast this card is. Plus, as if that wasn't powerful enough, Crysis doesn't particularly react well to multi-gpu setups.

• Advertisement

Lol yea i see your point maybe i dont need sli/crossfire if i go with that card. Is the os i linked up worth going ahead with? That and the case are pretty much all im undecided on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I have the antec p182 and yes its extremely tidy,Its very good for cable management and its fairly quiet also.Cooling is great and plenty of places for extra fans if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

kinkstr wrote: »
    Cool cheers, Your probably right about the RAM seen as theres as its quite cheap. Do you have that antec case yourself? i didnt notice it on there til now and it is very tidy.

Yes I do have the p182, I cant reccomend it enough, so much so I will be getting another one soon.

Thanks Godskitchen, thats another thing i can sctatch off the undecided list.
    Ive been looking at the Gigabyte mobos on hardwareversand and theres a good few in or around the €100 mark which was what i had been intending to spend on one but i cant see much difference in them?

Advertisement