Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Wireless router as Access point

Options
  • 04-11-2008 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I've searched all over and wheras I've got half answers I still don't know if this is possible.

As it stands We share our wireless network with our landlords son who lives upstairs. (free internet perk of the house)
    However I recently bought a Network hard drive not realizing that it need's to be physically connected to the Router as It only has a cat 5 connection.

Because our signal is quite week I bought a second router after finding out it is possible to use one as an access point (therefore better signal and cat 5 connection for the HDD and xbox) but now that I'm looking into it I haven't the foggiest how to start as the only info I have really is our network name and SSID.

I'm getting the feeling I'm going to need more, Would anyone have any advice/experience on this.

Ohh, Ive also looked intot the idea of VirtualWiFi which would allow me to connect to two networks symaltaniously but this is still plan B for now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There is a very easy way to do this, and to explain it to you I am going to use the server/client model.

A server is a device which serves information and services. While a server is generally a very large computer in a data centre, any device which provides access to services is a server.

A client is a device which connects to a server and obtains the information.

So basically a server gives information, and a client obtains the information.

A wireless router is generally a server, in that it provides you with access to what ever network it is connected to. To access that network you also need a wireless client. You have a wireless client in the wireless network card in your computer, however it will not help you, as you now have 2 servers(the wireless access point upstairs, and the one you just bought).

You can access the wireless access point(WAP) upstairs with your wireless client, and you can access the WAP you just bought using your wireless client, how ever you can not use both at the same time.

IMO, the easiest thing for you to do is buy a wireless to ethernet bridge. You will get one in Peats or Maplins. This device acts as a wireless client, but has a cat5 connection, so you can then plug it into any device that has an ethernet connection. You could plug it directly into your network harddrive and the HDD would then be connected to the wireless network. You could also plug it into your Xbox, and use the Xbox live feature. However, the smarter, and indeed more efficient thing to do would be to plug it into the wan port of your 2nd wireless router, and the 2nd wireless router could then provide the internet to the devices you choose.

At the moment you have:

Upstairs WAP(server) -> Your computer(client)

The new setup would be:

Upstairs WAP(server) -> Wireless-to-Ethernet Bridge(wireless client) -> New WAP(server) ->xbox ethernet connection(client)
    |
    ->Your computer's wireless/ethernet connection(client)
    |
    ->HDD ethernet connection(client)

Does this make sense?

Wireless to ethernet bridge:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WET11-Wireless-Ethernet-Bridge/dp/B000066JQU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

syklops wrote: »
    There is a very easy way to do this, and to explain it to you I am going to use the server/client model.

A server is a device which serves information and services. While a server is generally a very large computer in a data centre, any device which provides access to services is a server.

A client is a device which connects to a server and obtains the information.

So basically a server gives information, and a client obtains the information.

A wireless router is generally a server, in that it provides you with access to what ever network it is connected to. To access that network you also need a wireless client. You have a wireless client in the wireless network card in your computer, however it will not help you, as you now have 2 servers(the wireless access point upstairs, and the one you just bought).

You can access the wireless access point(WAP) upstairs with your wireless client, and you can access the WAP you just bought using your wireless client, how ever you can not use both at the same time.

IMO, the easiest thing for you to do is buy a wireless to ethernet bridge. You will get one in Peats or Maplins. This device acts as a wireless client, but has a cat5 connection, so you can then plug it into any device that has an ethernet connection. You could plug it directly into your network harddrive and the HDD would then be connected to the wireless network. You could also plug it into your Xbox, and use the Xbox live feature. However, the smarter, and indeed more efficient thing to do would be to plug it into the wan port of your 2nd wireless router, and the 2nd wireless router could then provide the internet to the devices you choose.

At the moment you have:

Upstairs WAP(server) -> Your computer(client)

The new setup would be:

Upstairs WAP(server) -> Wireless-to-Ethernet Bridge(wireless client) -> New WAP(server) ->xbox ethernet connection(client)
    |
    ->Your computer's wireless/ethernet connection(client)
    |
    ->HDD ethernet connection(client)

Does this make sense?

Wireless to ethernet bridge:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WET11-Wireless-Ethernet-Bridge/dp/B000066JQU

That makes load's of sense and I just realised I made one mistake already as I was fairly certain that one could use a second wireless router to connect to your existing wireless network but aparently that's not the case.....at least with my new belkin n1 F5D8231ak4 router anyway :(.

Although from what I have read it may have been possible with older router's and maybe that's where I got the assumption from.

The Idea you suggested sounds as good though as It look's like the product you linked to only has one network port and then connecting it to the router would essentially leave me with 4 free wired points and a new closer access point.

To go into more detail, does adding a bridge essentially cut your network speed in half as the data has to be "bounced" for want of a better word.

Also from going through the settings on my new router I have the option to add it my "wired" network as an access point so I know it's not really practical but If say opened up internet connection sharing on my Laptop connected to the router lan poRt via network cable could I then configure it to share the connection being shared from my laptop.

Probably too confusing to set up in reality I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I just noticed I linked to the WET11, which is only 802.11b with a speed on 11Mbps. They have a G version which is 54Mbps.

Will the speed be halved? No I cant think why it would be. The weakest part of the network is the link between the bridge and the AP upstairs. Depending on what sort of signal you will be getting, assuming it is a G AP and a G bridge, the maximum speed will be 54Mbps. Internet speed will be the same.

And I am sorry but I dont understand what you asked next....

Advertisement