Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Into College Without Leaving Cert?

• 04-11-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm looking for information about getting into college without doing the Leaving Cert. The general idea to me is that you do your Leaving, get X amount of points and go to college. But in my opinion, the Leaving Cert is a waste. I'd like to go to college and do a course in I.T but to get into college I'd need to do my Leaving and get a certain amount of points but it's a waste to me.

I'm pretty skilled in the I.T area and have a great interest in it, so it would be easy for me to learn new skills, however, I find school to be a waste and it's a problem. To get into college I have to do my Leaving and get enough points, that means doing well in English, Irish, Maths, French and so on, but I'm not going to use anything from school in I.T...to get enough points means I have to do well in school, like know over 20 poems in English or write a letter to a friend in Irish or find X in maths.

But I'm never going to use any of that, especially Irish or French. What has writing a letter in Irish got to do with a career in I.T?

The general idea of this is that my time is being wasted and I don't want to have to waste time doing poxy exams.

I'm 16 and currently in 5th year, ever since 3rd year I've thought it was a waste to spend time learning stuff in maths or Irish that you'll never use when you're older, and generally that's almost everything in school for me.

Obviously you're going to need how to speak English and have good grammar, punctuation and basic math skills like adding, but why would I ever need poetry? When will I ever need to write a letter or post card in Irish or French? The whole Leaving Cert course has no use to me at all.

I have my ECDL but other than that school has no educational value to me anymore.

So is there any way to get into a college or course for I.T to get a job in that field? I've considered going to the UK if there's anything there.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Welcome to boards.ie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Basically, at your age, no.

However, if you wait until you are over 23, you should be able to get in without your Leaving Cert.

You remind me a lot of myself. I couldn't stand school. I got a computer when I was 12 years of age and I was enthralled by it. Not just for games, but programming. By 15 I had my work published in a computer magazine in the UK. Now, many years later, not only do I work in computers by day, but I also teach computers by night.

I felt exactly the same way about poetry, Geography, History, I mean, do I really give a toss about Shakespeare? At 16, I certainly didn't and to be honest, now, I still don't. However, the learning process, while it might seem a pain in the behind now, will set you up nicely for when you get to learn about subjects that really interest you in college.

So, my advice is hang in there, it may seem pointless now, but just think, what's another two years? In the overall scheme of things, it really isn't that long. Look at the computer courses you want to do, find out what the points are, and work towards getting there. Don't stress about it, do what you have to do and think of the enjoyment you will get out of college and a career in computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Hmm...I can understand your frustration. I mean has anybody used a word of Irish since they finished the LC? Most students going into Arts courses will never use maths or science again and most science students will never again look at a poem!

Alas, you cannot bend the rules. You'll have to do your exams and use the CAO points system like everybody else to get into college. Thats life.

However, I do remember some computer whizz kid from Limerick on the Late Late Show last year who wanted to complete the whole LC course in one year. When permission to do this was refused by the Dept of Education, he quit school and joined some big IT company in America. The chap is now a millionaire! I forget his name...you can do your own research on google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

I remember that kid, he totally wasted his time. Was too arrogant in my opinion to do the LC in both years(however he could have just gone to the Institute straigh into 6th year)went off and did his GCSE's, English system. Then was told he didn't have the right ones, not completely sure on the exact details, but he was not allowed into college.

Personally i think the LC is almost a right of passage. It sucks, we all moan about it at the time, but when it's over no one cares anymore.

Btw 20 poems?! I had to learn 46!! try that on for size!!lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

DaveyDave wrote: »
    But in my opinion, the Leaving Cert is a waste. I'd like to go to college and do a course in I.T but to get into college I'd need to do my Leaving and get a certain amount of points but it's a waste to me.

I'm pretty skilled in the I.T area and have a great interest in it, so it would be easy for me to learn new skills, however, I find school to be a waste and it's a problem. To get into college I have to do my Leaving and get enough points, that means doing well in English, Irish, Maths, French and so on, but I'm not going to use anything from school in I.T...to get enough points means I have to do well in school, like know over 20 poems in English or write a letter to a friend in Irish or find X in maths.

But I'm never going to use any of that, especially Irish or French. What has writing a letter in Irish got to do with a career in I.T?
    Obviously you're going to need how to speak English and have good grammar, punctuation and basic math skills like adding, but why would I ever need poetry? When will I ever need to write a letter or post card in Irish or French? The whole Leaving Cert course has no use to me at all.

It's not about the content of the learning, but the skills you learn. That boring English essay? The skills you develop doing them come in handy when a couple of years down the line you have write a report, or create a plan. The poetry? Analytical skills, critical thinking. Languages? Always useful especially in a global economy. Many IT careers can bring you to fantastic places. Lacking a major language might be a big disadvantage if you were offered a role in another country.

Maths - again it's more than basic adding, it's about developing both numerical skills and problem solving abilities. Showing you how applying rules and logic can lead to a resolution.

If you want a fruitful career, you need all of those skills and to have them developed as much as possible. The examples above are merely just examples - there is a lot to be gained from taking subjects over and above the basic content of your text book.
    The general idea of this is that my time is being wasted and I don't want to have to waste time doing poxy exams.

Poor you. The world is full of things we don't want to do, but have to. The world of employment is no different. Employers tend to look positively at people who actually don't avoid the difficult tasks, and take them on.
    I'm 16 and currently in 5th year, ever since 3rd year I've thought it was a waste to spend time learning stuff in maths or Irish that you'll never use when you're older, and generally that's almost everything in school for me.

While you don't lack self-confidence, you do have an astounding lack of foresight to be honest. Employers like employees that are skilled in their area, and who are well rounded individuals across the board. Education is what gives you that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

BuffyBot wrote: »
    While you don't lack self-confidence, you do have an astounding lack of foresight to be honest. Employers like employees that are skilled in their area, and who are well rounded individuals across the board. Education is what gives you that basis.

To be fair to the OP Buffy I don't know many of us were tremendously endowed with foresight when we were 16.

To the OP as everyone else has said, it's not necessarily about what you learn but the experience and skills you gain while learning it. To an extent university is like that too - plenty of jobs specify a degree as a requirement...as in ANY degree. It demonstrates commitment and the ability to make an effort, however much you dislike it. The agent who sold my house had a drama degree ffs! I dropped out after my JC and waited til I was older to go to uni, but it's not for everyone and if I had my time over I might have done it differently. Stick it out if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I agree with BuffyBot.

I'd like to add the following:

OP, you sound like you have a poor work ethic. You need to sort this out as it's going to cause you problems in your life. Put in the work (even if you don't like what you're doing) and things will work out easy peasy.

Also, computing in college is full of "boring" and "irrelevant" subjects like maths and foreign languages. With your current mentality I am certain you will think college is pointless too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I know some one who forged their leaving certificate and faxed it to a college in England - They got in, got their Degree and are now working in the field they studied in. Just shows the leaving cert is pretty pointless - Although I do agree that learning is important and the whole going to school I agree with it's just the pretty rubbish way the irish government have of offering college places. :)

Obviously I'm not suggesting you do anything like that! It's wrong and you might get caught!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stevenjones

Hey im 24 and had to quit school before my j.c when i was 15 to get a job due to things at ome going wrong. I all ways did well at in class and want to know could i go to college now as an adult student without the j.c or leaving cert i have a gret working record and good references. If any one could let me know and the in's and outs id be greatful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

im 24 ....could i go to college now as an adult student without the j.c or leaving cert i have a gret working record and good references

Yes. Once you are 23 or over you can apply as a mature student. No need for a JC or LC. Whether you get in or not is based on your work and life experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Wow this is old, and odd timing too I just finished my Leaving Cert about 3 weeks ago :P

I still think the LC is stupid and wish there was a better education system in Ireland to suit what someone is looking for in college. Like a PLC course in place of the LC.

But I'll try explain why I had this attitude towards school, back when I was in 5th year when I posted this family problems hit me hard and I missed a lot of school for the duration of the LC, in 5th year I was in about 50% of the days, and this year I think about 60 days. I'm slowly getting back to normal but I couldn't handle going to school. Needless to say, it wasn't good for my grades and I'm your typical lazy student, not one to study and when my grades got worse and I found myself missing out on a lot of work I wanted to go in even less. Though I did study before the LC I have the feeling it won't be good enough. I think I did alright in my exams except in Irish, I know I failed that.

But I have a strong feeling I didn't get the 200 points I need and things aren't looking good on the PLC front, like when I got a rejection letter the day before the LC started. And that was after the interview going well and being told to go back in July for an aptitude test...so I don't have a lot of hope.

Right now I'm trying to get a job and getting business cards done for local PC repairs and fair prices. None of this €80 crap to scan for viruses like all the PC shops in town. If I don't get into college I'll try and get a job, then just keep applying for college. A part time course at a college looks easier for me to get into but it's not free and coming up with the funds will be a challenge...being poor doesn't help the college situation.

A couple of months after I started this thread I finally got money to build my own computer and since then have built a couple for friends, hopefully if I get a job I'll get to build myself a new Core i5 rig later in the year :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Well done for going back to do your LC,I can only imagine that it took a lot of work and courage and you should be proud of yourself.
    It will stand to you.
    It is not too late to apply for IT courses in some plc colleges,it is worth taking your chances anyway.

I have a strong feeling I didn't get the 200 points I need and things aren't looking good on the PLC front, like when I got a rejection letter the day before the LC started. And that was after the interview going well and being told to go back in July for an aptitude test...so I don't have a lot of hope.

There's places on this level 7 degree in computing http://www.tippinst.ie/courses/TI003/ . But it's in Thurles so funds wise maybe Dublin would be better.

Keep an eye on the CAO vacant places list. It'll be updating between now and the end of august / september

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

OP, Read BuffyBots post above then read it again and again.

Education is not just about what you learn in school but lifes lessons along the way and turning you into a more rounded person. Every day is a step in your overall development. Imagine that you had never gone to school or had packed it up 5 years ago.. Would you be the same person that you are now?

I employ quite a few people on a part-time basis, in a very simple line of work ( Not I.T.) but they're all employed on their general attitude, not what they do and don't know.
    At the moment your attitude doesn't cut it.

If I were to interview you and 10 others for an IT job, I'd be looking at your previous history and, given that the other 10 would more than likely have a leaving cert or equivalent, you'd probably come 11th as I'd be thinking along the lines of committment.

family problems hit me hard it wasn't good for my grades .... Though I did study before the LC ..... I think I did alright in my exams.... Right now I'm trying to get a job and getting business cards done for local PC repairs and fair prices. .... If I don't get into college I'll try and get a job, then just keep applying for college...... I finally got money to build my own computer and since then have built a couple for friends,

Sounds like you have a stunning never give up attitude to me. Ireland needs people like you

At the moment your attitude doesn't cut it.

If I were to interview you and 10 others for an IT job, I'd be looking at your previous history and, given that the other 10 would more than likely have a leaving cert or equivalent, you'd probably come 11th as I'd be thinking along the lines of committment.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

pathway33 wrote: »
    :confused:

Why the confusion?
    As an employer I want to see people that show some committment, interest and ability to complete things. Some guy that didn't finish the LC because he thought it was waste of time just wouldn't do it for me whereas if each of his 10 competitors for the job did then they've all moved above him at the first hurdle.

LOL, Just realised that the thread is 2 years old!!!

phenomenon wrote: »
    However, I do remember some computer whizz kid from Limerick on the Late Late Show last year who wanted to complete the whole LC course in one year. When permission to do this was refused by the Dept of Education

Eh what?
    You can do it in one year

In any case, well done to OP for doing it after all.
    I know it seems pointless now but you could have a career change sometime!
    Plus general knowledge is always a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stevenjones

Does anyone know of colleges that are still taking in mature students for this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I didn't do the LC myself, spent the past 12 years working in IT and now I've decided to go to college and do a masters. Its going to cost me but it'll hopefully be worth it.

I haven't been asked about LC results in a long long long time. No one gives a sh!te to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shauna!!

Im 19 and i didnt do my leaving cert and i want to do a business course is there any college in dublin i can go to without having to pay a fortune??

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

It's only a leaving cert, it's not mission impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LizzyMusic

I'm 19 and I left school at the end of 5th year because I was unhappy with the school itself and had nowhere else to go. By the sounds of things it's not the school you have a problem with it's the work. This leaves you with 2 problems: 1. Any college course whether you have a flare for the subject or not is going to involve alot of work so if it's working hard you have a problem with then there's no point and 2. People in college won't appreciate your attitude to working hardbecause most of them would've worked extremely hard to get into college ESPECIALLY in this day and economy. To be honest with you I think you need the extra year to mature and grow up a bit because by the sounds of it you need to in order to adjust your attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 georgia.i2023

hello i know your post was many years ago but i need your advice on this . So i am 20 years old i just turn 20 last month and i am in leaving cert , all i want is just to go to college but i cannot because i need leaving cert at the same time i want to leave school like i am 20 i know there is only 5 month till school end but also i maybe fail the leaving cert like i am not from Ireland so my English did not help so i had to repeat 5th year and now i am 20 so my plan is leave school but like how can i go to college and i cannot I do not want another 2 years program so what do i do ? i literally was crying for the past month i just want to go to college and i feel old now in school. what i do should I just leave school ?

hello i know your post was many years ago but i need your advice on this . So i am 20 years old i just turn 20 last month and i am in leaving cert , all i want is just to go to college but i cannot because i need leaving cert at the same time i want to leave school like i am 20 i know there is only 5 month till school end but also i maybe fail the leaving cert like i am not from Ireland so my English did not help so i had to repeat 5th year and now i am 20 so my plan is leave school but like how can i go to college and i cannot I do not want another 2 years program so what do i do ? i literally was crying for the past month i just want to go to college and i feel old now in school. what i do should I just leave school ?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When you have done so much of the Leaving Cert course, you may as well finish it out and sit it. It may go better than you think.

Apply for your college courses, but also for PLC courses in the subject areas you are interested in (ideally ones that have reserved PLC places in the college course you want). I guarantee you will not be the oldest in your class.

At the same time, do everything you can to get your English language skills up.

I really appreciate your replay. But the problem is i am scared of fail the leaving cert like the school ends in June so i am gonna be wasting half of the year for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

What will you be doing otherwise? At least attempt the Leaving Cert. Use any supports that are available to you to scrape through. Literacy will still be an issue in college so as another poster says, use the time to improve your English too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In the scheme of your life and career, 6 months is nothing. You can't waste the next half of the year if you actually try.

Buckle down and give the LC the best shot you can. That probably means knocking the social life on the head for a bit, getting a decent nights sleep instead of binging Netflix for half the night so you can be awake enough to pay attention in class and simply ignoring peer pressure and listen to your teachers in class, make the effort to do an hour or two a night of study. If your school offers it, a study skills course can help you learn how to get the most of that hour or two.

Getting a 600 point leaving cert is very difficult, and it's meant to be. Getting 300 points is very achievable with even just a few months of study and, again, it's meant to be that way. If you're having difficulty in any of your subjects, ask your teacher for help. You'd be surprised, even the jaded ould bastards that are ticking the clock down until their pension kicks in tend to respond well to a kid that actually wants to do well. Even, in the worst case scenario if you do the Leaving Cert and fail half the exams you'll still look better to an employer than if you show yourself as someone who simply gave up and you'll definitely be in a stronger position to repeat as you'll already know you can pass the ones you did first time around.

You have 6 months. That's plenty of time to read each of your course books through at least once. Realistically, it's enough time to go through the end of chapter summaries or the cliff notes versions of things many, many times. Get even half of that knowledge into your head and you're looking at 50% in every subject more than enough to pass the Leaving Cert. So do that instead of wasting your time crying.

Also - if you struggle this much with Leaving Cert course material are your sure college is for you? Have you a course in mind? If so, surely there are a couple of your Leaving Cert subjects that focus in this direction so you'll have a couple of subjects you enjoy (or don't mind) studying? If not, and the aim is simply to "go to college" because that's the done thing (or because it looks like fun), you'll be unlikely to last there tbh. The Leaving Cert is great preparation for getting through a degree course. There's dross subjects in almost all degree programmes that you'll find irrelevant to the main thrust of your desired qualification (e.g. I had to do modules in HR and Business Ethics in a B.Comm despite majoring in Information Systems and never having an interest in either subject).

If you do have a college course in mind that you think you'd like, talk to your career guidance counsellor about it. There are PLC options that can act as a "stepping stone" into almost every subject area you could cover in college that can give you a stepping stone into the college course or at the very least give you enough exposure to a subject in a year to know whether it's an area that interests you while obtaining some qualifications rather than wasting a year doing part of a degree you end up dropping out of due to lack of interest. Even if you end up applying for jobs that have nothing to do with the year spent on the PLC, it'll look better on your CV than having spent a year on the dole crying in your bedroom worrying about failing something while wasting the time you have in hand to prepare for it.

That was the best advice I ever had thank you so much .

Advertisement