Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic Warden Fines - Motor Tax?

Options
  • 04-11-2008 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

My friend was parked in town today with no parking disc. When he returned to the van, there was two tickets, a fine saying "No parking disk displayed" for €40, thats grand. However, there was another ticket, saying "Failing to display a current vehicle disc" carrying a fine for €60.

What is a current vehicle disc, is that motor tax? Someone told him that it was a fine for no tax disc displayed, but traffic wardens hardly have the authority to issue a fine for motor tax to an unattended vehicle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

ImDave wrote: »
    My friend was parked in town today with no parking disc. When he returned to the van, there was two tickets, a fine saying "No parking disk displayed" for €40, thats grand. However, there was another ticket, saying "Failing to display a current vehicle disc" carrying a fine for €60.

What is a current vehicle disc, is that motor tax? Someone told him that it was a fine for no tax disc displayed, but traffic wardens hardly have the authority to issue a fine for motor tax to an unattended vehicle?
    Sounds like an tax disc offense. And since the tax is paid to the local authorities, it's appropriate that their agents (parking wardens) can apply penalties for it. It's listed on various local authority websites as a fine that can be paid online.

If the words are wrong, you can maybe get off on the technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ImDave wrote: »
    but traffic wardens hardly have the authority to issue a fine for motor tax to an unattended vehicle?
    That's nothing new, i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Was it a parking disc or a tax disc missing? Or both? A traffic warden would put a ticket for not having either a parking disc or a parking ticket. A guard would put one on for no tax disc.

Had similar. Not displaying a tax disc the same as not having the car taxed to them, which you should. Tax disc is like a receipt for the car tax. I got a summons for it, where I said I was late paying it and had payed the back tax it was struck out.

I do always have insurance, I just let the tax slip for a few weeks.

Kind of sickens me that traffic wardens and guards are basically turned into tax collectors by this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

AFAIK Traffic Wardens have the authority to monitor and deliver a notice of an offence under the Road Traffic Acts 1961-1975.

In this case, as cyclopath2001 said, it sounds like non-display of a valid tax disc. If this is the case, I would suggest that your friend pay the fine and also either display the disc/get a valid disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your mate got fined for parking in a public place and not displaying a valid current motor tax disc.

Not having paid motor tax is a different offence and carries heftier penalties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement