Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roma Vs Chelsea

• 04-11-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Champions League
    Kick off 7:45

(From the Guardian)

Team news Chelsea are without Ricardo Carvalho and Ashley Cole but, well, look at the hardship: Alex and Wayne Bridge come in.

Roma (4-6-0) Doni; Cicinho, Mexes, Juan, Panucci; Perrotta, De Rossi, Brighi, Pizarro, Totti, Vucinic.
    Subs: Artur, Taddei, Loria, Riise, Julio Baptista, Tonetto, Menez.

Chelsea (4-1-4-1) Cech; Bosingwa, Terry, Alex, Bridge; Mikel;
    Joe Cole, Deco, Lampard, Malouda; Anelka.
    Subs: Cudicini, Ivanovic, Di Santo, Drogba, Ferreira, Kalou, Belletti.

Whistler Luis Medina Cantalejo (Spain)

Things that are much less fun than they used to be and as such should be the subject of serious questions, in parliament if necessary Peep Show, Anderson, Curb Your Enthusiasm, hangovers. And the Champions League group stages.

Once a source of legitimate interest (remember the group of death involving Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester United in 1999? Or Barcelona, Arsenal and Gabriel Batitstuta a year later), the first and now only Champions League group stage really is a complete waste of space: a mind-numbing combination of familiarity and formality. For Chelsea in particular, it has become no more taxing than having to write their name on the sheet for the last 16.

Here's how easy the Champions League group stages are for Chelsea. They haven't conceded a goal for 711 minutes, since David Villa scored in the Mestralia in October 2007; they've only conceded one home goal since September 2004; and they haven't lost a truly live game since November 2005*.

If they win tonight – and they should against a Roma side who have lost five in a row - they will qualify for the knockout stages. In fact all four English sides could qualify this week, with 33 per cent of their games to spare. The greatest club competition in the world... is probably now the Uefa Cup, isn't it.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Almost a great ball from Malouda there. Playin well so far. Roma are again keeping almost all there players behind the ball.

Very very soft goal. JT was asleep.

Great ball by Mikel , shocking finishing from Malouda.

Belletti on for Cole and Drogba on for Maouda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I heard estebancambiass was called up to the bench for Roma. Will be interesting to see if he gets a game. Been great for Ireland anytime ive seen him.

• Advertisement

Damn 2 down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

Vucinic, just heard on RTE. 20 yds+ out. Must have been a great goal. Big surprise that. Supposed to have been heavy rain in Rome earlier today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

We have gone 4-4-2, end to end stuff. Get a goal in next ten mins we can get a result.

DenMan wrote: »
    Vucinic, just heard on RTE. 20 yds+ out. Must have been a great goal. Big surprise that. Supposed to have been heavy rain in Rome earlier today.

Decent enough goal alright.

FFS Mikel. We're getting hammered

• Advertisement

Been a while since we have been thrashed, if they give up we are gona get thumped.

3-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Second goal was decent alright, first was soft.

First time we've conceded more than 2 in one game since Scolari,

Edit: ****, 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Vucinic is top class

JT with 1 back

Jesus Christ that was a ridiculous decision

To be fair, he should have gotten a second yellow ages ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

that may be (haven't seen any of the game) but getting a second yellow for taking a free quick? If it is as soft as it sounds I'd be going mental at the ref.

John Arne Riise warming up for Chel.........I mean Roma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Archimedes wrote: »
    John Arne Riise warming up for Chel.........I mean Roma.

We've a chance!

Bad result and poor all round tonight. Not the end of the world though. We should still win the group with a win in Bordeaux. Expecting much better against Blackburn.

• Advertisement

Wonder if theres many Chelsea fans there, mini riot on the cards!

EDIT: Hope not obv

There was fighting in the crowd earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Still top the group .... a home win will be vital against Cluj though ... that away game against Bordeux could be tricky with them on 6 pts with Roma ...

edit ... can't believe a certain other team got a penalty in like the 14th minute of injury time .. undeserved penalty too ...

jesus will their luck ever end ??

... again I could say some things .... anyway I'll say Saviour Clouds Uniting Me !

jackdaw wrote: »
    Still top the group .... a home win will be vital against Cluj though ... that away game against Bordeux could be tricky with them on 6 pts with Roma ...

WTF? You seem.......composed.....!?

yes im a bit distracted with this US election ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

flipping heck didnt get to see the game and just saw the scoreline... wtf? what happened? play well or rubbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

JæKæ wrote: »
    Vucinic is top class

Pfft couldn't do it against McShane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think it'squite clear that for the rest of the season we will never get a result against a top 4 team from any decent country. We struggled to beat Roma 1-0 at home and that was the brightspot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I think it'squite clear that for the rest of the season we will never get a result against a top 4 team from any decent country. We struggled to beat Roma 1-0 at home and that was the brightspot

Ye Big Phil for the sack:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

not the end of the world but we're clearly having problems against any kind of organised defence, we could easily have been 2 up in the first 25 minutes with both deco and lampard having good , long range efforts saved.

Daft goal to give away to Panucci, sound asleep it would seem. Malouda continues to waste every (ish) chance he gets and Anelka is his usual semi-stoned self.

well done roma, they played exactly as expected : defend and hit on the break. Am wondering if Scolari is a bit over confident , we seem to have only one way of playing and that's all out attack, leaving us vulnerable against more organised sides.

oh well, still top of the league, should still beat Cluj, if Bordeaux are as even half as bad at home as they were at the bridge we'll easily beat them.

deco's red was daft, and such a crying shame to see pool get a penalty in the last second when someone had the temerity to get in the way of gerrards wwf inspired leap into the box, grrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

jackdaw wrote: »
    can't believe a certain other team got a penalty in like the 14th minute of injury time .. undeserved penalty too ...

jesus will their luck ever end ??

1: wrong thread.
    2: 2nd/3rd minute.
    3: obsessed.
    4: Rob Styles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Mad how Chelsea went from having the best defense in the Champion's League to the shambles they were last night.

And Julio Baptista, where has he been hiding? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Once a source of legitimate interest (remember the group of death involving Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester United in 1999? Or Barcelona, Arsenal and Gabriel Batitstuta a year later), the first and now only Champions League group stage really is a complete waste of space: a mind-numbing combination of familiarity and formality. For Chelsea in particular, it has become no more taxing than having to write their name on the sheet for the last 16.

Here's how easy the Champions League group stages are for Chelsea. They haven't conceded a goal for 711 minutes, since David Villa scored in the Mestralia in October 2007; they've only conceded one home goal since September 2004; and they haven't lost a truly live game since November 2005*.

If they win tonight – and they should against a Roma side who have lost five in a row - they will qualify for the knockout stages. In fact all four English sides could qualify this week, with 33 per cent of their games to spare. The greatest club competition in the world... is probably now the Uefa Cup, isn't it.

You were saying?

On a serious note I haven't seen the game yet as I don't have setanta. I did see the goals however and for the first I must say Terry was caught fast asleep and left rooted to the spot. 2nd goal was class and well worked from Roma. 3rd Jon Obi got caught out. Mistakes but they happen. We are still top of the group and should make it through. No trophies are handed out in November.

Jackdaw I'd also say if you want to have a go at Liverpool take it up in their match thread, leave this one for Chelsea discussion.

Bubs101 wrote: »

Well Roma are doing **** at the moment in Seria A

Advertisement