Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does it hurt

• 04-11-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Prob sound like a total baby but anyway, Im getting my first tattoo done tomorrow and would really like to know the truth on the pain level.

Just afraid that it'll hurt and Ill want to leave it and end up lief with half a tattoo.

Getting a small flower on the under my wrist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hurts as much as getting needles stabbed into your arms, a few times per second for a good while.

I've never gotten one, but i can guess like.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

How long is a piece of string???

Nobody can answer how much a little needle being inserted into your skin repeatedly will hurt you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The pain is different for everyone, it depends on your pain tolerance etc..

alot of people say it hurts, but its not unbearable

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I found it uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I'm not very good with pain either. The first 5 mins are the worst, but then you'll settle down and be grand. Remember if it is getting too much or if you feel sick or anything, ask your artist can you take a break for a sec, they won't mind. :) Best of luck with the tattoo! Post us up a pic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

It's also highly dependent upon the location, on the body, you get it and the size of the piece.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

once the endorphins/adrenaline kick in your away on a hack. just make sure ya eat enough previous and have a bottle of coke or lucozade handy if you start to feel weak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

And dont drink alcohol thenight before you dont want to be hungover.But everybody has different levels for pain and you will walk out tomorrow wondering what all the fuss was about.And when to start the other tattoo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I don't think it's bad at all, you feel it like but it doesn't hurt, though i found it becomes more obvious to me after 2 hours, you won't have to worry about that though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

depends on position and size................

my first was small one on shoulder, not sore at all really 30 min
    Second was lower back, ok till after the first hr then a wee bit sore but ok
    Third was top of spine, ok for the hr and half
    fourth was full side including back ribs, first 3 hrs was fine till last 10 min , was kinda sore but stuck with it

I usually bring lucozade and chewing gum to get me through it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Mine are on my arms. It's more of an annoyance than a pain, like sunburn being scratched, and for a few days after it feels like bad sunburn. After a few minutes of being tattooed I don't really notice it anymore.

Edit: Should probably sticky this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I got one done on my wrist, didnt really hurt that bad at all..then again I got the first one on my foot and ankle. It gets a bit ouchie when they go near the veins but mostly its fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 tatt chic

depends on the size and location, i had a full sleeve done and after a two hour session i found it painful enough but if its only a 30 minute job you should be fine.
    its never as bad as you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

It hurts a lot. I got mine on the top of my back and had pain shooting down my arm while he was stickin needles in me. But for mine it was a lot of little pieces so he kept lifting the needle so that made it bearable. Not sure if it's like that for every tatt or not. But obviously it depends on who and where. I didn't nearly pass out or anything but it wasn't nice. But if u want your tatt, you grin and bear it and go to your happy place....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Will wrote: »
    once the endorphins/adrenaline kick in your away on a hack. just make sure ya eat enough previous and have a bottle of coke or lucozade handy if you start to feel weak

I don't get that due to my medical history...

So painful, but bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mammy2oo8

I've read more interesting articles on

edit; it's not even relevant to this forum... argh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

well I got it done,

I have to say it wasnt bad, it hurt, there is pain but it was totally bareable like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Glad to hear it j0605 :D
    Don't forget to pop up a pic in the "Show you mine" thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

Glad to hear it j0605 :D
    Don't forget to pop up a pic in the "Show you mine" thread! :)

Oh yeah I def will wen i take this bandage off., I'd be interested to see what people think, was ment to get a small one but glad its bigger:)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

j0605 wrote: »
    Oh yeah I def will wen i take this bandage off., I'd be interested to see what people think, was ment to get a small one but glad its bigger:)

Good for you!! Looking forward to seeing it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭elainepie

i have two tattoos. the one on my breast didn't hurt at all..i supppose this is due to the fatty tissue there, but the one on my back hurt like hell, but not enough to stop its comlpetion! I will get another one, but for me it hurts really bad near bone. I don't know whether this is due to the artist or this is the same for everyone??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 L.i.t.h.i.u.m

I got my first one on my wrist, and I was shaking a like a baby so nervous, literally petrified about getting it, yussss I was a wuss!
    but yeah I sat there laughing, honestly, I was amazed at how little pain it was, the first few seconds are the worst and even then they aren't too bad, its like a like pinch, I dunno that was just my experience, I was pretty much numb in the chair though cause I was so nervous maybe thats why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I got mine on my foot and it just felt like a burn really. Different parts of my tattoo hurt more than others oddly enough :o

Going in tomorrow to have it fixed methinks.. so this thread has me wonderfully worried :P

Advertisement