Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change to accountancy

• 04-11-2008 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hey, I'm currently a primary school teacher and I've been reading some of the recent threads in relation to accountancy. What do you think the prospects are for accountants and trainees, as I read today that PWC are taking on 250 graduates this year, the same as last year? also, I've seen suggestions for non-business graduates to apply for firms directly without any previous business/accounting qualifications - would you not enhance your chances by doing a conversion course such as the professional diploma in acc. in DCU, previous to applying to the firms? as a teacher with an honours degree and four years experience do you think I'm foolish to return to study accountancy (with the goal to becoming a CA after passing all the professional exams), considering the security of my job and the insecurity of the current economic climate, especially for financial jobs such as accountants? last question - is the only possible opportunity for application to firms at the milkround in Oct.?any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭schumacher

its not all rosy in accountancy land either!! kpmg state that they r taking on 300+ graduates i was at a presentation there this week and the managing partner in Ireland said this was only 250-275 graduates. Last year they took on 350! Also a big 4 firm is rumoured to have withdrawn offers to graduates they offered contracts last year! I wont name therm!! so unless you have really good degree results and a very strong cv i would say stay where you are because training to be an accountant is tough!! Just my opinion tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

God I want to leave to become a secondary teacher. Grass is always greener me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clearya

schumacher wrote: »
    its not all rosy in accountancy land either!! kpmg state that they r taking on 300+ graduates i was at a presentation there this week and the managing partner in Ireland said this was only 250-275 graduates. Last year they took on 350! Also a big 4 firm is rumoured to have withdrawn offers to graduates they offered contracts last year! I wont name therm!! so unless you have really good degree results and a very strong cv i would say stay where you are because training to be an accountant is tough!! Just my opinion tho!

Ah yes, i heard that too. There was a girl who was informed she was offered a contract with 1 particular company, and when she rang them to find out why they hadn't sent out her e emption forms.. sorry, my keyboard key before the letter y doesn't work! they told her that she wasn't being hired! So a) not only did they not tell her, but b) she had no company to work for in September! It wasn't a top 4 firm though.
    And i had an interview with pwc on Wednesday, their applications wayyy up this year, think it used to be 1 in 2 people offered a job but not as favourable this year...tough times all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭schumacher

yeah i heard in dublin dey got 2000 apps its usually 1400!! so things def not as good!!

Cathal1984 wrote: »
    hey, I'm currently a primary school teacher and I've been reading some of the recent threads in relation to accountancy. What do you think the prospects are for accountants and trainees, as I read today that PWC are taking on 250 graduates this year, the same as last year? also, I've seen suggestions for non-business graduates to apply for firms directly without any previous business/accounting qualifications - would you not enhance your chances by doing a conversion course such as the professional diploma in acc. in DCU, previous to applying to the firms? as a teacher with an honours degree and four years experience do you think I'm foolish to return to study accountancy (with the goal to becoming a CA after passing all the professional exams), considering the security of my job and the insecurity of the current economic climate, especially for financial jobs such as accountants? last question - is the only possible opportunity for application to firms at the milkround in Oct.?any comments/advice would be appreciated.

The big firms do take on people with degrees in other areas as they do like variety, but you would have to get across that you're REALLY interested in accounting. And the pwc etc interviews have already passed, had mine on wednesday, they tell you that getting to the interview is the hard part but that's rubbish in my opinion! Applications way up this year and it at least 1 job for every 2 interviewees, and they deffo had an emphasis on leadership skills the way the questions were put to me. And I think accounting firms, well the big ones should be fine because their big clients should survive and the smaller ones may well make use of their advisory services.
    If you're serious about making the switch permanent, i'd advise you to sit your Cap 1s if you need them and then apply to 1 of the top 4 next year. Not only will that show them that you are committed to accounting, but you will also ease up your workload if you get a job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cathal1984

hi, thanks for the feedback guys, really opens my eyes - bit of a bummer really, considering the forecasted cutbacks. Clearya, thanks for the reply but you suggested completing the CAP 1 exams but what about the PDA conversion course I mentioned as this would give me a good foundation in accounting (it's quite costly though at about 7500 euro and it would mean going back to college for a yr. full time) and exemptions from CAP1. Or do many people apply to do the CAP1 exams while working etc.? If so, it actually seems like an attractive option as I could keep my job and it's cheaper. What happens with course material/lectures etc by taking this approach?What do you think?

Cathal1984 wrote: »
    hi, thanks for the feedback guys, really opens my eyes - bit of a bummer really, considering the forecasted cutbacks. Clearya, thanks for the reply but you suggested completing the CAP 1 exams but what about the PDA conversion course I mentioned as this would give me a good foundation in accounting (it's quite costly though at about 7500 euro and it would mean going back to college for a yr. full time) and exemptions from CAP1. Or do many people apply to do the CAP1 exams while working etc.? If so, it actually seems like an attractive option as I could keep my job and it's cheaper. What happens with course material/lectures etc by taking this approach?What do you think?

I just remembered that you have to actually have a contract with a recognised training organisation in order to be allowed to sit the ACA exams..sorry about that, but unless your company offers any accounting services it doesn't look like that's a viable option for you.
    Not sure about the other institutes as the qualification i want is the ACA one.
    And in terms of the conversion course, you wouldn't necessarily have to go that route. The top 4 do take on those from all fields (including graduates) and I'm sure most of those have no prior accounting experience behind them, if you were called for an interview I would recommend that you show that you have a VERY strong interest in accounting, and know what your chosen area involves and the different teams within that dept. It also really helps if you have some idea of where you would like your career to head etc...basically show them that you actually WANT a career in accounting. And the most important thing to get to the interview is the application form, impress them with that and that's half the battle! The rest is looking for a future managers...well at least that's what I got from my interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Hi ya,

I am currently working for a Big 4. I started my training contract back in September. I actually had my interview in the spring (April), a mini-milkround. This tends to happen because candidates will be given offers from multiple firms. Also, the tend to recruite highest in FS Audit, which some people specifically don't want, though I'm enjoying it, especially with the way the current economy is, which definitely makes some jobs more intersting.

Also, I have a 4 year degree from the US in Literature and Creative Writing. I interviewed with one Big 4 and several small practices. The hardest part was getting the interview; however, after my interviews, I was offered a job from every place I interviewed. (I did all my interviews in April). I'm glad I made this move. I'm really enjoying my job. You do really have to sell yourself to them. THe interviews were pretty relaxed, but then again, I was really prepared. I was sure to read up on as many economic issues as possible. They didn't even seem to bothered that I talked more about the US economy. I also researched the firm thutoughly and the position I was applying for (including where it could take me and where I wanted to go).

Bottome line, if you really want it, go for it. Try and get an interview, if not now, check back in March to see if they're still looking. Look at the small firms. Also, if you don't mind doing the ACCA or the CPA, you can study part-time to get your first set of exams done while staying in your curent position. The ACA previous let you do CAP 1 exams before a contract, but I don't think they allow it with their new syllabus. I haven't been able to find it on their website.

Best of luck!

Advertisement