Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Arts' DRM Outrage

Options
  • 04-11-2008 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey all,

I'm new here, and I feel that this is a topic that every PC gamer should know about. Yes I have read the charter, and if it is inappropriate then by all means, remove it [pls pm me or something if you do though, I don't wanna come back in a few days to find it just gone!]

Anyways, on with the show;
    As per my discoveries of EA's SecureROM DRM Installation Limit through my purchasing Dead Space, I have come to the conclusion that Electronic Arts have no right to impose such limits upon something that us, as gamers, thoroughly enjoy - gaming. In the pure sense of the word, we enjoy playing games published by Games and Software Development companies, such as Electronic Arts, and for them to impose said limits is simply outrageous. I personally will NOT let this lie, and as such I would like everyone who reads this to follow the links below, and sign the Petition.

Upon talking to a friend, and realising what other people have done relating to Spore, Mass Effect and a few other titles, if we get enough support for this, then I say we go to RTE or even better, BBC.
    If we take this to EA, they'll probably just brush it under the carpet, but taking it to International Media outlets will make them sit up and take notice.

Also thought people would like to know - there are a total of 4 [yes FOUR, that's one down from the amount of times you can install an EA game] Class Action Lawsuits out against EA, three of which are being fought by the same law firm.

Games that include such DRM include [and not confined to - some games have not been published by EA, yet still have the same DRM Software]:
    BioShock,
    Mass Effect,
    Spore,
    Crysis: Warhead,
    Dead Space,
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3,
    Far Cry 2,
    Alone in the Dark,
    Mercenaries 2: World in Flames,
    Fifa '09, and
    Company of Heroes

Here are a collection of links associated with the topic:
    Petition of Gamers for EA to Remove the Rights-Violating DRM
    Spore Class Action Lawsuit Document
    Electronic Arts Wiki Page - Follow the EULA and DRM Anchor to read an overview of this
    GameSpot's Article on this subject
    A website on putting a stop to SecureROM in general has a list of games known to have SecureROM in some form or another

I think that about wraps it up. Anything else you wanna add, post it

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I hate to be the one that breaks this to you but online petitions are one of the most useless things ever created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Whats the point in buying a game if you can't reinstall it ,as you please ?

Jaysus ,I wouldn't bother buying games like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just pirate them like we do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sinbad269

311 wrote: »
    Whats the point in buying a game if you can't reinstall it ,as you please ?

Jaysus ,I wouldn't bother buying games like that.

yea, problem is that I'm a HUGE C&C fan, and this is like a kick in the nuts. I can't remember the amount of times I've reinstalled game because I had to reinstall windows.

Oh the DRM only kicks in if you install it on a system that has a different hardware setup or installation of windows. So if your windows goes belly up, there's one liscence gone. Similarly if you upgrade your graphics card, etc.
    It doesn't apply to reinstalls on the same windows "session"
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just pirate them like we do

lol, I would, if I could, but I can't. 3G in my area SUCKS!

And plus, i have Company of Heroes, and am planning to get RA3 [on COH, I'm not sure, but I think it links the key to a single account, which can be deactivated, unlike any of the others]

sinbad269 wrote: »
    yea, problem is that I'm a HUGE C&C fan, and this is like a kick in the nuts. I can't remember the amount of times I've reinstalled game because I had to reinstall windows.

Oh the DRM only kicks in if you install it on a system that has a different hardware setup or installation of windows. So if your windows goes belly up, there's one liscence gone. Similarly if you upgrade your graphics card, etc.
    It doesn't apply to reinstalls on the same windows "session"

It's a sham ,I can understand this with downloads on the likes of the Playstation.
    But in this day and age ,can't understand why they are going after people who actually buy their stuff.

• Advertisement

It's a sham ,I can understand this with downloads on the likes of the Playstation.
    But in this day and age ,can't understand why they are going after people who actually buy their stuff.

lol, I'm the same, although if they did something like what Steam/Valve have done, with linking whatever supported game you have to your account, that would work MUCH better [not the whole digital delivery client thingy, they already have one, which doesnt work quite so well]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Jaysus, you'd never get that happening with a console....

Can a DRM enabled game be installed on an offline machine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I know EA are scum(charging for tiger woods courses(a new low for me)). but in this case i can't blame them for trying this. The PC games industry is in sh1t. Piracy has pretty much killed it, more games now are console based or ports from console to PC(2-3 years a port from console was craz talk), prices are too much. Why pump millions into a game only for it ripped off big time. any game that is on PC now can be downloaded and cracked. Spore had over 100,000 copies downloaded alone through torrents, no to mention how many different people those copies were given to.

I remember going to lans with 2 installs of games, 1 legit on 1 hd and 1 dodgy on the other because most had pirate copies and legit won't work with pirate. You can bitch and gripe with EA or other games companies all you want but don't blame them, its the piracy that has killed the PC games industry. Its a sh1tty way to go about it, but how else can they.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Can a DRM enabled game be installed on an offline machine ?

Yes but will be needed to activate online first run, also if hardware is changed, another activation may be neccesary, once activated it can be played without worry though, this securom thing is useless though, and all of the protected titles have been hacked! Add Mercenaries 2 and Fifa 09 to the list of infected titles btw!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

people are only just now realising that EA are scumbags?

where were you all like 7-10 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just pirate them like we do :D

Yes and no, more steam like systems with an actual saving on buying direct to drive, metaboli allow you to play the game before you done downloading it. Why cant a system similiar be implemented??. Can try the full game if you dont like it then you dont finish the download etc:

Many games run better with "things" that remove the need for "other things" PES games for example.

An online system like Steam/Direct2drive but with actual savings, PES and FAllout are 30 quid in game shops but 45 on download systems. Free on torrent sites without the limits of DRM.

stupidness of the highest order

people are only just now realising that EA are scumbags?

where were you all like 7-10 years ago?

no i realised EA were scum a few years ago [when they gobbled up Westwood Studios for example, - they coulda at least let them keep the name], but this is just put me over
    yoyo wrote: »
    ...Add Mercenaries 2 and Fifa 09 to the list of infected titles btw!

Nick

thx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I hate to be the one that breaks this to you but online petitions are one of the most useless things ever created.

its been pointed out to me that the wispa revival stemmed from an online petition

its been pointed out to me that the wispa revival stemmed from an online petition

up the Wispa!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

add fallout 3 to that too.... :(

its not EA, but its the same technology that they use.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No it isn't, Fallout 3 is an old fashioned Securom disc check only, no serials, no unlocking, no downloading executables.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Theres a difference between a petition to make something you will buy and fixing something you bought. ;)

Fallout 3 retail version doesn't use this or any protection (bar a disc check during install afaik), btw it may be worth noting, even if retail games (I.e: CD/DVD editions) don't have Securom product activation, there is a high chance that the digital download version will!

Nick

someone please explain my fallout 3 locked up on its 4th install then, and crashes my DVD drive every time i try

• Advertisement

Fallout 3 retail version doesn't use this or any protection (bar a disc check during install afaik), btw it may be worth noting, even if retail games (I.e: CD/DVD editions) don't have Securom product activation, there is a high chance that the digital download version will!

Nick

It does use SecureROM, as stated in the http://reclaimyourgame.com/ website I linked. It the 3rd news post in fact.

While it doesnt say anything about this particular version of nastiness, it still has SecuROM 7.36.0006, which is apparently pretty nasty on its own [as cherry unfortunately found out!]

I'm pretty sure the Steam version has no such thing included, along with most other 3rd-party steam games

It does use SecureROM, as stated in the http://reclaimyourgame.com/ website I linked. It the 3rd news post in fact.

While it doesnt say anything about this particular version of nastiness, it still has SecuROM 7.36.0006, which is apparently pretty nasty on its own [as cherry unfortunately found out!]

I'm pretty sure the Steam version has no such thing included, along with most other 3rd-party steam games

My fault for not explaining it clearer guys :o , the game actually uses SecuRom, but only while installing, and unfortunately cherryghost I would think your problem is probably linked to this! What I meant to say was the game itself once installed doesn't need any disc in the drive to play, nor need to be activated over the internet, sorry for the confusion!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yeah DRM and Copy Protection arent our friends, but really, getting in a tizzy about this or even more moronic not buying X game is pointless. On that line Pirating games "in protest" is a lame excuse and anyone with half a brain would realise its counter productive as less PC sales revenue vs console is KILLING the industry. Have your fun today, but one sad day we may have just 2 games on PC, The Sims X and World of Warcraft.

Bear in mind you can buy the game (and therefore contribute) then use a NO CD crack or various other ways around protection methods. Yeah whine "but I shouldnt have to do that", dont bother, this is the reality. They make the software, invest millions of $ and 10s of thousands of manhours, DRM is just an effort to protect their investment.

When MS announced the DRM activation system there was much hoopla about not being able install multiple times etc. Today the reality is when you trip the activation system and requires redoing you call a number and an automated system just hands you a new key. Not such a big deal in practice is it?

My fault for not explaining it clearer guys :o , the game actually uses SecuRom, but only while installing, and unfortunately cherryghost I would think your problem is probably linked to this! What I meant to say was the game itself once installed doesn't need any disc in the drive to play, nor need to be activated over the internet, sorry for the confusion!

Nick

Exactly the same as Dead Space. although its known to have this activation problem.
    I think the reason for it is so the people who code the No-CD cracks for games, will have no lawful reason to do so. On GameCopyWorld, they have on every game's page, "Keep in mind that the files listed on this page do NOT circumvent the Serial Protection! A valid/legal Serial is still required to be able to play this game!!!
    This game does not require the DVD to be present after the game has been activated with a valid/legal serial. So a Fixed EXE is not needed & therefore not available!"

Even though pirates have been able to get around said protection, this is done at the actual game's disc level, not the .exe level.

EA, along with any other developer getting into bed with this DRM, are basically fuelling the Pirate's fires' by doing this. My particular anger goes towards any game that has a Multi-Player capability to it, like RA3. Unfortunate
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yeah DRM and Copy Protection arent our friends, but really, getting in a tizzy about this or even more moronic not buying X game is pointless. On that line Pirating games "in protest" is a lame excuse and anyone with half a brain would realise its counter productive as less PC sales revenue vs console is KILLING the industry. Have your fun today, but one sad day we may have just 2 games on PC, The Sims X and World of Warcraft.

Bear in mind you can buy the game (and therefore contribute) then use a NO CD crack or various other ways around protection methods. Yeah whine "but I shouldnt have to do that", dont bother, this is the reality. They make the software, invest millions of $ and 10s of thousands of manhours, DRM is just an effort to protect their investment.

When MS announced the DRM activation system there was much hoopla about not being able install multiple times etc. Today the reality is when you trip the activation system and requires redoing you call a number and an automated system just hands you a new key. Not such a big deal in practice is it?

I see where you're coming from Matt, but in practice, EA dont just "hand out" keys whenever you ask for them. They have been known to do so, but not everyone gets one.

And like I said before. Dead Space, [and Fallout 3, like yoyo explained] don't need cracks, i explained it all above. So really they're digging there own grave. Why can't all developers just do what Relic did with the 1.51 update of Dawn of War!? They actually released an OFFICIAL No-CD Crack and included it in said update.
    They worked that into CoH, but you actually need to be online before you can play without a DVD/CD [it checks with a server if your Key is vaild]. What about when u wanna play against AI, or through the campaign, etc [like myself, my connection isn't capable of online play]?

Theres nothing moronic in deciding you don't want to buy a game with this type of protection.
    Just like choosing not to buy music from itunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Theres nothing moronic in deciding you don't want to buy a game with this type of protection.

Its been oft quoted here that "Im not buying X as it has DRM" to make a point. Not only do you miss out on a great gaming experience, less sales will not be the downfall of DRM, it will be the downfall of PC games. Its all about the bottom line and market viability.

"Not buying on iTunes" is not a valid analagy as it implies you are buying elsewhere, which is clearly not what is happening when you pirate or boycott.

I see where you're coming from Matt, but in practice, EA dont just "hand out" keys whenever you ask for them. They have been known to do so, but not everyone gets one.

MS didnt hand them out at the start either, it evolved to this point. What we need is better DRM or Steam like Internet activation. Incidentially Ive installed Farcry 2 on multiple systems and with multiple activations.

whats wrong wit music from iTunes?

its called iTunes Plus - DRM-free and 225kbps. Course that doesnt apply to every song, and the record label has to agree to it, but that DRM protection is nothing compared to this! with iTunes you can actually deauthourise computers, and you have five liscences in total [so when u sell, or reinstall, u just deauthourise it and u get that liscense back. Course this doesn't take into account the times your 'puter decidely goes belly-up :P]

• Registered Users Posts: 83,266 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did you hear about the RA3 CD Key blunder? EA misprinted an untold number of game manuals so that they only had 19 characters out of 20. To which EA said you'll just have to guess it.

whats wrong wit music from iTunes?

its called iTunes Plus - DRM-free and 225kbps. Course that doesnt apply to every song, and the record label has to agree to it, but that DRM protection is nothing compared to this! with iTunes you can actually deauthourise computers, and you have five liscences in total [so when u sell, or reinstall, u just deauthourise it and u get that liscense back. Course this doesn't take into account the times your 'puter decidely goes belly-up :P]

I'm talking about the format of the music and how it doesn't play on other devices.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Did you hear about the RA3 CD Key blunder? EA misprinted an untold number of game manuals so that they only had 19 characters out of 20. To which EA said you'll just have to guess it.

Yup, heard all bout it. Shame how the mighty have fallen [talking bout westwood. A Co-Founder of Westwood was actually VP of EA at the time of The First Decade's release]
    I'm talking about the format of the music and how it doesn't play on other devices.

Are you talking about AAC or Protected-AAC? AAC is also commonly known as M4A, which plays on my phone, and is also supported by most Media Players [WinAmp, Foobar2000, Media Player Classic, and VLC all play it. Course iTunes does too, but I'm not sure about WMP]

Advertisement