Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Arts' DRM Outrage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sinbad269

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Have you talked to many mid-20's gamers with full time jobs? I know of plenty of gamers who don't bother with MP because it requires too much time investment and tends to be disappointing due to the average age (mentally) on public servers being around 12. There's just too many griefers around these days.

In my teens, and early 20's (college years) I pretty much gamed MP all the time in MoH:AA, CoD, CS 1.5, BF1942... etc but found singleplayer gaming better when I got a job as I could game on my own time.

Yes I have. I'm in quite a mature clan [that is kinda dormant atm], and I'm one of the younger senior members. The oldest in our clan still has time to game, yet because our clan is dormant he [like you] doesn't like playing on pub servers. He's equally uninterested in SP, and much prefers to be in heavily team-organised matches, whether they scrim or otherwise.

On this point, I'm the same. I don't like a server if the other people on the server are real pr!cks, and have no teamwork-ability. Then again you've got the classic "leave your brain in the hallway" games like a Pure DM in UT, which require no teamplay at all as its u against all. They're always good to blow off steam sometimes ;)
    Exactly my point. So if you don't play MP, then the game usually has no replay value so why would I pay full price for a PC game i'm going to play once then never play again.

Yea, I see where you're coming from, but when I say "replay value" i meant small replay value, meaning if it is good, then I will go back to it. Like Oblivion. I've gone through that a few times on a few diff occasions. Course then you got epics such as Half Life 1. Have only cleared once, but i think I definitely got what I paid for. The same with HL2, and even Diablo II [now THAT was HUGE! Took me i'd 3 months culminatively to finish. Hack, Slash, repeat. hehehe]
    This whole piracy thing has gotten way out of hand, it's simple.

Games are a product, if you don't like that product, don't buy it.
    That's the only legitimate course of action.

Everything else is just lying to yourself about why it's ok for you to take what you have no right to.

There, now we can get on with discussing the various merits of new releases. I hear Left For Dead is out soon. That's pretty cool, eh?

yea, we're not discussing whether u don't like a product or not, we're discussing how developers can help stop piracy by taking all this sh!te outta their games, and leave just the game, which is what we pay for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Erm, the 'product' also includes the DRM that everyone is going on about, so yeah. it's *exactly* about that.
    And more to the point they have every right to protect their product.

DRM isn't going away and pirating games won't convince anyone that the solution to the problem is to just give up on stopping people from pirating.

All it will take is one really good game with something really strict to sell the idea to gamers in general.

Take Steam. Steam is bullshit, in alot of ways. Having to authenticate your single player offline game with their servers? bullshit. Infact, it's something that when every other publisher tries we have about half a thread of people going "abloo abloo this DRM sux" followed by how fan-****ing-tastic steam is.
    And also forgetting the horrible mess that was the half-life 2 launch.

anyway, people accept steam and it's antics because HL2 and all that are supposed to be fantastic. And that's all it'll take, one game that nearly everyone loves will sell the DRM that's attached.

I will bet my immortal soul that if valve bundled starforce with halflife 3, people would just buy the damn game and you wouldn't hear a peep about how horrible the DRM is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Take Steam. Steam is bullshit, in alot of ways. Having to authenticate your single player offline game with their servers? bullshit. Infact, it's something that when every other publisher tries we have about half a thread of people going "abloo abloo this DRM sux" followed by how fan-****ing-tastic steam is.

anyway, people accept steam and it's antics because HL2 and all that are supposed to be fantastic. And that's all it'll take, one game that nearly everyone loves will sell the DRM that's attached.

Steam works very well as DRM schemes go. True its unfair to a customer who does not have an internet connection.

But...

With steam my games are tied to my steam account, NOT 1 particular PC/hardware config.

If I change PCs, upgrade hardware at worst I will have to download a game again.

Steam will work offline without an internet connection: recently when eircom *upgraded* our net connection and it was down for several days I could still play all my steam games, granted I had to wait for stem to cop on and detect there was no net connection, all my games still worked.

True the launch of HL2 was utter pants: valve have since learned from their mistakes and have greatly improved steam. Valve also have managed to integrate voip,instant messaging and auto updating into all games sold through steam. Not revolutionary, but they do it well.

Steam is the only DRM scheme where you actually get benefits for using it bar just getting slapped in the face.

EDIT: also the ability to easily pickup games on launch day is nice also.

uberpixie wrote: »
    Steam works very well as DRM schemes go. True its unfair to a customer who does not have an internet connection.

But...

With steam my games are tied to my steam account, NOT 1 particular PC/hardware config.

If I change PCs, upgrade hardware at worst I will have to download a game again.

Steam will work offline without an internet connection: recently when eircom *upgraded* our net connection and it was down for several days I could still play all my steam games, granted I had to wait for stem to cop on and detect there was no net connection, all my games still worked.

True the launch of HL2 was utter pants: valve have since learned from their mistakes and have greatly improved steam. Valve also have managed to integrate voip,instant messaging and auto updating into all games sold through steam. Not revolutionary, but they do it well.

Steam is the only DRM scheme where you actually get benefits for using it bar just getting slapped in the face.

EDIT: also the ability to easily pickup games on launch day is nice also.

What he said.

There's an easy workaround to quickly launching steam if you net connection goes down like your did. Provided the game is up-to-date, and all that, then instead of waiting like 5 minutes for it to realise there's no net, disable your LAN connection. Its simple, takes less than 5 seconds [provided u have it showing in the taskbar ALL the time], and saves that boring ol' wait ;).

Also, I don't just use steam to launch the games I have on steam. I use it to launch EVERY game. At the time of writing, I had 15 Non-Steam Games assigned with Steam. Quite simple really: in the Steam Client, Games > Add a Non-Steam Game to My Games list...
    Or if your in the full window, go to the Games tab, and click the same button, which is located towards the bottom of the client.
    Only one game I've seen doesn't work with the Steam Friends Overlay, and that's Dead Space. EVERY other game I've ever played by launching it from steam works [so that 15+ games that are pretty dam good in their own right, from RTS, to FPS/Action, MMO, Racing, and RPG]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Erm, the 'product' also includes the DRM that everyone is going on about, so yeah. it's *exactly* about that.
    And more to the point they have every right to protect their product.

DRM isn't going away and pirating games won't convince anyone that the solution to the problem is to just give up on stopping people from pirating.

All it will take is one really good game with something really strict to sell the idea to gamers in general.

I will bet my immortal soul that if valve bundled starforce with halflife 3, people would just buy the damn game and you wouldn't hear a peep about how horrible the DRM is.

What you fail to see is that DRM dosent hurt the pirates only the people who buy the game :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    What you fail to see is that DRM dosent hurt the pirates only the people who buy the game :rolleyes:

along with this, Valve actually listen to the people who play their games. And the fact that Valve REALLY don't want their games on shelves [apart from consoles o course - but i'm sure they'd prefer to see their games on either XBL Marketplace, PSN Store, etc], look at the orange box as an example. The game was released like towards the start of the year, [a little hazy on the release date, if i'm wrong correct me]. The point is that the retail version wasn't released until AT LEAST 3 months AFTER the game came out on steam and consoles. And even then, TOB it was released with minimal drm protection, even though the retail versions are published by EA.

Valve hit the nail right on the head, when they thought up Steam. A little ahead of its time, but its truly brilliant imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Steam (or similar) is pretty much the best platform and solution. If you have legit license and an internet connection, it just works. Who cares if it wasnt 100% smooth sailing at its launch, thats completely irrelevant now. As mentioned you have access to your games anytime, anywhere (with an interent connection, but I dont count that against them, its nearly 2009 for christs sake). You even get free licenses to Gift to others if you buy a bundle pack later (as happened with Orange box). Thats just so nicely put together.

Steam nearly everyone agrees on (excepy 311s rather out of context support of retailers), the one bugbear on Steam is the pricing, it should be cheaper, but the fault there is largely the retail channel.

Bitching and whining about Securom (etc) or justifying piracy just isnt going to go anywhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Steam doesn't always work if you have an internet connection. I was living in student accomodation last year that relied on the college for internet access. Sht fast speeds but steam wouldn't work with, they must have had ports blocked. Pain in the bollocks.

Steam doesn't always work if you have an internet connection. I was living in student accomodation last year that relied on the college for internet access. Sht fast speeds but steam wouldn't work with, they must have had ports blocked. Pain in the bollocks.

of course Steam requires the appropriate ports to be open, I mean seriously. Thats more or less up to your ISP, or in your case the college that provided it [could call them the ISP then :P]
    In any case, the reason only Steam would work at Midlans, and next to nothing else? The Network Admin blocked all ports except the basic ones steam used. Fairly simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

yoyo wrote: »
    My fault for not explaining it clearer guys :o , the game actually uses SecuRom, but only while installing, and unfortunately cherryghost I would think your problem is probably linked to this! What I meant to say was the game itself once installed doesn't need any disc in the drive to play, nor need to be activated over the internet, sorry for the confusion!

Nick

Fallout does need the disk for the check. It installs everything onto the hard drive.
    But still needs the securerom.

Doesn't bother me at all ,I was tidying up last night and thought I'd put the disc away.
    But it was back in the machine again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

311 wrote: »
    Fallout does need the disk for the check. It installs everything onto the hard drive.
    But still needs the securerom.

Doesn't bother me at all ,I was tidying up last night and thought I'd put the disc away.
    But it was back in the machine again:)

I was using a no-cd crack on my legit version (as I usually do), but someone later told me if you run Fallout3.exe and not the launcher it bypasses the CD Check regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I was using a no-cd crack on my legit version (as I usually do), but someone later told me if you run Fallout3.exe and not the launcher it bypasses the CD Check regardless!
    Yeah, that works, but if any mods come out you can only launch them from the launcher.

Matt Simis wrote: »

Oh ,sorry. Just loaded the fallout3 file and it worked.

I was messing around with a program called fraps last night and was using the launcher file with it.

Apologies yoyo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

DRM is pretty bad allright, it's whats killing the PC games industry, don't believe the PR of these charlatans, piracy is the saviour of all true gamers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

sinbad269 wrote: »
    And the fact that Valve REALLY don't want their games on shelves [apart from consoles o course - but i'm sure they'd prefer to see their games on either XBL Marketplace, PSN Store, etc], look at the orange box as an example. The game was released like towards the start of the year, [a little hazy on the release date, if i'm wrong correct me]. The point is that the retail version wasn't released until AT LEAST 3 months AFTER the game came out on steam and consoles. And even then, TOB it was released with minimal drm protection, even though the retail versions are published by EA.
    The Orange Box was released on the 10th October on Steam and the 19th October on retail and Valve seem to have no problem releasing games to retail.

Steam, no matter how much you like it, does some shitty things. Things that up until recently would have been considered to be scandalous and generated alot of angry nerd rage.

Now people defend it. They're so ok with what steam does that they actually stand up for the level of bullshit you have to deal with.

And that's exactly what will happen with the DRM we have now. This kind of software is in it's infancy, but it's not going away. It'll take a while but eventually the market will accept another DRM scheme like steam, it'll probably be something like starforce but not made by a company that act like such total dicks and have no concept of PR.

Some techniques like activation limits, might get phased out (though like alot of DRM whine, there are precious few people actually affected by this), but everything else will stay.
    It won't have to be 100% uncrackable, it just has to make it so much of a hassle for the average lazy, greedy gamer to pirate a game that they won't bother.

And before people start bitching at publishers for this, this level of DRM didn't just come into existence in a vacuum, it's a direct response to the current level of piracy. Every time you "try out" a game you're making the case for better DRM stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

And before people start bitching at publishers for this, this level of DRM didn't just come into existence in a vacuum, it's a direct response to the current level of piracy. Every time you "try out" a game you're making the case for better DRM stronger.

Great. I'm all in favour of better DRM.
    But by better, I mean a solution that protects the game from being copied, without installing a load of unadvertised crap on a legitimate purchaser's machine.

Don't ask me that that is, because I don't know, and if I do work it out, I'll be quite rich.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Exactly. Its a result of the level of people downloading their games for free that have forced them to implement measures to try and stop it. In the end, its purely us stealing their products, and that is always going to be something they will try and stop. Most people dont even notice these features. I personally have never had any problems with a DRM-included game.
    Steam, no matter how much you like it, does some shitty things. Things that up until recently would have been considered to be scandalous and generated alot of angry nerd rage.
    This i wouldnt really agree with as much. I cant see any real problems with Steam tbh. Bar the (very) occasional time when you lose your net connection. Everyone has online access nowadays. Is it really worth their time to try and fix issues for a fraction of people who cant activate their games online. I personally think Steam is a godsend. A little rough around the edges at first, but a fantastic service now.

Assuming they came up with an uncrackable version of DRM, would you guys then have a problem with online activations? Your main gripe seems to be that pirates are able to play the game easier then you are. So, remove that and will you be happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Kiith wrote: »
    Exactly. Its a result of the level of people downloading their games for free that have forced them to implement measures to try and stop it. In the end, its purely us stealing their products, and that is always going to be something they will try and stop. Most people dont even notice these features. I personally have never had any problems with a DRM-included game.

This i wouldnt really agree with as much. I cant see any real problems with Steam tbh. Bar the (very) occasional time when you lose your net connection. Everyone has online access nowadays. Is it really worth their time to try and fix issues for a fraction of people who cant activate their games online. I personally think Steam is a godsend. A little rough around the edges at first, but a fantastic service now.

Assuming they came up with an uncrackable version of DRM, would you guys then have a problem with online activations? Your main gripe seems to be that pirates are able to play the game easier then you are. So, remove that and will you be happy?

One potential issue with steam is with third party companies. What happens if Valve has a falling out with one of the third party companies, say bethesda? And said company demands that all of their games are removed from steam. And what happens if they demand the shutdown of the drm servers for their games? It means anyone who bought those games will no longer be able to play them. You'll probably get your money back but it'll still be a pain.
    And don't say it will never happen. It has already happened in the music industry and movie industry.
    Microsoft shut down drm servers for one of their music stores this year. Anyone who bought music there can ony every play the files on the pc they downloaded to.
    When google video shut down they disabled everything meaning you could no longer play the movies you paid for. They refunded everyone but some people had bought entire tv series and hadn't even watched them all before they were disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

No one is denying that steam is not perfect, but again as DRM schemes go they are fairly unrestrictive and again offer you advantages through using steam. Granted you do have to have a net connection which is bit of a bummer if you don't but such is life.

The only thing I really dislike about steam is the fact some publishers insist on bundling securom with their games they sell on steam: Steam is enough DRM protection by itself.

We both know that local copy protection is by far the easiest to crack.

We both know that having to authenticate to a sever online is far more secure for the publisher and protects a game better.

So from an industry point of view the Steam model is more secure and the one they prob will be moving to in the future.

Now people defend it. They're so ok with what steam does that they actually stand up for the level of bullshit you have to deal with.

I have had no major issues with steam, I have had MAJOR issues with a copy of supreme commander gold which is *protected* by Securom. I have never had to fcuk about as much as I did to get the game working.

I had to install the game, ignoring bull**** .cab file errors, to setup the registry entries and then copy and paste a few gigs worth of the folder where the game was installed off my mates rig to get it working. I will have to do this everytime if a new patch is released as the game will not properly patch for me.

From looking at the supreme commander forums I can see a lot of users compaling about .cab file errors on install and then of course get told "duh! check the disk is not scratch" It's not the disk......

Never had an issue where a purchased game through Steam crapped out for me.

Securom has fcuked me Supreme Commander/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance and started to give me ****e with Stalker, DiRT and the Witcher (this was solved by moving my sata harddrive to a different port on my mobo).

So really I have been fcuked about by securom on five legal titles and have had no issues with getting steam games installed.

So really from my point of view Steam has been no hassle at all... Infact the auto update feature and all the other features Valve add to steam add a lot of value to steam as a platform. They also regularly improve it and add features.

Securom on the other hand adds no value what so ever and has pissed in my eye on 5 games. Granted this is a very small amount over the total amount of game I have bought its still bloody annoying the lengths I had to go to get those 5 games working: a regular clueless PC user would have been totally shafted.

The only reason people don't get nerd rage about Steam is that Valve have gone the classic "carrot and stick" approach. True it's a very big stick they use to protect their games but they do give you a lot of carrot to go with it, have consistently improved Steam and added extra useful features and will add more in the future.

Valve do a lot to be fair with Steam: most other companies just develop a badly implemented online store. Valve went the extra mile, were a lot more ambitious with what they were doing and are making a shed load of money because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

interesting read.

As mentioned by me on another thread regarding Spore, I came home to install the game to find out it had DRM.

I immediatly went back to the store, asked for a refund on the grounds I was not informed about dRM, the till girl had no clue, which is fine, she got a manager and I discussed it with the manager. After I explained what DRM was, and why it should be displayed on the box. I was handed a full cash refund.

On the grounds I was not informed of DRM before cash changed hands.

If it is not displayed on the Box you are fully entitled to a refund, this also happend mainstream upon BF2142 release which included spyware adware stuff, that wasnt mentioned on the box...to which I also got a refund.

If you are not happy with DRM....and it is not stated on the box, go get your money back. You have purchased the game and should be entitled to install it on your machine as many times as you like.

My two cents, worked for me, and had a pleasing experience getting the refund, no row at all manager totally understood the gayness of the situation.

The only way to stop DRM and the likes, is for their game sales to drop, directly related to drm, and then they will change it.

I was since informed of my visit to refund, when i went in again to buy a dvd, the manager approached me and said he had a large number of people returning that game in question, because of the drm, and he asked idd i spread the word ( yikes) with a smile though..and he said he reported back to HQ or something about such an awful experience with the game Spore and the hassle it caused.

Do something about it if you dont like it, stop buying games with DRM...once the figures plummet for them, they will change it.

But it definitely fuels the pirates alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

311 wrote: »
    I can understand different views among all this ,but the reason why I'd buy a hard copy of a game is.
    If I want to install the game on another machine ,for reinstalling and for value. I don't like buying totally online ,because it cuts out a lot of jobs etc. and the price doesn't tally with the service thats missing.

I work for a company that offers web-based versions or paper-based versions of the same thing. Our clients sometimes ask us why the web version isn't cheaper than the paper version - if we don't have to use a print shop and don't have to pay a courier to ship it, etc. then surely we can pass the savings on to them.
    Well, someone has to make the damn website don't they?
    We have about half a dozen developers who work on constantly improving the web experience, and we have three print shop workers who print the paper stuff, and we own some of the printing equipment and lease some of the bigger stuff. Which department do you think costs more to employ?

If everyone had the mentality to refuse to buy soft copies of things, maybe MY job would be at risk.

Balfa wrote: »
    I work for a company that offers web-based versions or paper-based versions of the same thing. Our clients sometimes ask us why the web version isn't cheaper than the paper version - if we don't have to use a print shop and don't have to pay a courier to ship it, etc. then surely we can pass the savings on to them.
    We have about half a dozen developers who work on constantly improving the web experience, and we have three print shop workers who print the paper stuff, and we own some of the printing equipment and lease some of the bigger stuff. Which department do you think costs more to employ?

If everyone had the mentality to refuse to buy soft copies of things, maybe MY job would be at risk.

Of course people will have that argument ,but not everyone can expect an IT job.
    Thats just never going to happen.

There will always have to be a manual workforce ,in any industry. Be it cleaners or printers.

You can't download a new heating system ,I have to come and install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Balfa wrote: »
    Theres no way that can justify the €15 extra per download of Left 4 Dead from steam.

Bandwidth and web developers could not cost that much extra per copy over paying to have DVD's pressed.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Theres no way that can justify the €15 extra per download of Left 4 Dead from steam.

Bandwidth and web developers could not cost that much extra per copy over paying to have DVD's pressed.

I don't understand. All of Valve's own release's are usually the same price or lower on Steam, because they are pushing the whole digital distribution over retail distribution.

Meh

On another note, if anybody has played the pirated copy of RA3, you'll have noticed quite a few little bugs, that aren't apparent in the official release. Such as mission 5 for both Soviet and Allies crashing [probably the same for Japan], all your units randomly regrouping at your base, and the mouse gradually becoming unresponsive [as in, you can still look, you just can't select/move anything until the game shakes it off]. These little bugs are extremely annoying, and imo work better at stopping piraters. O course they would get around it, but as yet, I haven't seen any fix, that unanimously works

sinbad269 wrote: »
    These little bugs are extremely annoying, and imo work better at stopping piraters. O course they would get around it, but as yet, I haven't seen any fix, that unanimously works

There is one, it's called buying the game :)

But yes, more of this would be good, there was an old game i remember called Escape Velocity. Once you played past a certain amount of time without registering, a character named Captain Hector would appear in the universe. He had a super powerful spaceship and he would relentlessly hunt you down while saying how much of a filthy pirate you were.

Frankly, i'd love to see that for something like FarCry 2 where you're chased across the gamemap by a single mercenary.
    That can't be bargained with. That can't be reasoned with. That doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And that absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Was it the orig Op Flash that had some 'fade' tech in it that pirated games would deteriorate until unplayable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Frankly, i'd love to see that for something like FarCry 2 where you're chased across the gamemap by a single mercenary.
    That can't be bargained with. That can't be reasoned with. That doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And that absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

something tells me this is how you'd like to handle real world pirates yourself :rolleyes:

something tells me this is how you'd like to handle real world pirates yourself :rolleyes:

Please, a day without a terminator quote is like a day without sunshine.

• Advertisement

There is one, it's called buying the game :)

But yes, more of this would be good, there was an old game i remember called Escape Velocity. Once you played past a certain amount of time without registering, a character named Captain Hector would appear in the universe. He had a super powerful spaceship and he would relentlessly hunt you down while saying how much of a filthy pirate you were.

Yes that's what I was getting at, but then I'd have to deal with the original topic, its a catch 22, but I'm prepared to deal with the amount of annoyance, than have to deal with a useless game after about a year [that's how long it would take to use all 5 licenses]

Advertisement