Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Scrappage

Options
  • 04-11-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

hopefully someone here can help-my grandparents have a very old Volvo ('92 I think) and they need to get rid of it. it's in good running condition, but needs a bit of work. They don't want to sell it as they're quite old and don't want strangers calling to the door to look at it-they'd just like to scrap it to somewhere reputable. Is there anywhere that would take it? They're prepared to pay for it to be taken away, just as long as the company signs the ownership and everything's above board. They don't want to "take it to the knackers' yard" as they put it!

Any help's appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think your local council can get rid of it for you. Not sure what fee they charge for this or even if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

All car manufacturers have to have free disposal schemes for End Of Life vehicles set up with approved "Authorised Treatment Facilities" (scrap yard). You bring the car to the facility, you get a certificate of destruction, and it doesn't cost you anything. The car must be mechanically intact (i.e. you can't remove the wheels or the cat to sell them yourself)

here's Volvo's list of Authorised Treatment Facilities:

http://www.volvocars.com/ie/experience/Pages/ATFs.aspx

More general info:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/how-to-dispose-of-an-end-of-life-vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Cheers for the info guys, they'll be very happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You could PM volvoboy, although he seems to have fallen in love with Toyotas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭granadamad

i know a guy who will pick it up for the crusher free of charge

feel free to give me a text <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

what model is it ??

ive been looking for something to run on veggie oil ( replace my mothers s40, possibly the worst volvo ive ever had the grace to work on )

regardless of the engine, its just model so i can straight fit a 2.0 diesel lump in without breaking my back too much...

Whatever you do, dont scrap it, keep the old bangers going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Which model is it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

It would be pretty silly to scrap a perfectly good old car just because you don't feel like selling it. Why don't you try selling it yourself for your parents? You could stick it in the Buy & Sell or somewhere and you'd be surprised, you might get a few quid for it.

You'd also think that now with the recession and all that a lot of old car's lives would be spared since people can no longer afford the latest reg.

What model is it by the way? I will be able to confirm whether it's worth selling or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Quite a few Volvo-heads here! What kind of Volvo???!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It would be pretty silly to scrap a perfectly good old car just because you don't feel like selling it. Why don't you try selling it yourself for your parents? You could stick it in the Buy & Sell or somewhere and you'd be surprised, you might get a few quid for it.

Second that...In fairness they don't make cars like they used to, someone will be happy to give that a nice retirement. POWER OF ONE and all:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

*Prays for a 2.3 940*:D

Volvoboy wrote: »
    *Prays for a 2.3 940*:D

Or how about about a long lost LHD 780 that was left over from 1991???! I'd take that...

superjosh9 wrote: »
    Or how about about a long lost LHD 780 that was left over from 1991???! I'd take that...

None of them never made it over here yet alone the UK I'm afraid.

Always rememberd seeing them for the 1st time in the Film ''See no evil hear no evil''

Yea they were all left hookers too, based on the 700's saloons and estates and no having one body panel the same!

I know they didnt make it here, hence my use of the term 'long lost'...!

Btw, my parents had a beautiful dark grey metallic 740 GLE saloon in 1990 which they sold a few years later after 107,000 miles, anyone know where it might be?!? I want it back!

I know they didnt make it here, hence my use of the term 'long lost'...!

Btw, my parents had a beautiful dark grey metallic 740 GLE saloon in 1990 which they sold a few years later after 107,000 miles, anyone know where it might be?!? I want it back!

Pah the facelifts wer'ent as nice as the pre-facelifts ones.

The da had a 1989 740GLE metalic blue with cream leather:D

wow, first time I've heard that, I really liked the facelift when it came out. 89 also sounds like a nice car though!!

1990.volvo.740.11056-300x189.jpg

this was like theirs, except dark grey metallic with grey leather and sunroof! Loved those wheels. How will I find it??? I think it went to England.. Was a 2.3 auto...

1987_Volvo_740GLE.jpg

Much preferd this model! ours was a 5 speed manual with the overdrive!:D

So is the OP gonna tell us what model it is or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

He doesn't seem like a regular on Motors, so you're probably better off PMing him if you're interested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement