Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Examination Superintendants

• 04-11-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Thinking of applying for this for next year. How does it wrk exactky? Do you finish on the last day of the exams and if its your first time doing it are you likely to get JC? Also, whats the pay like and does it take as long to get paid as it does as a corrector? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Are you a part-timer or teaching over 10 years? If so, you've a better chance of getting it, it's v difficult. Everyone gets a centre and they finish whenever their centre finishes - could be after 7, 10 or 15 days, you won't know until you're appointed. You'd want to get applying soon, I got my form last week and sent it off. Forms should be in schools now. Pay is decent, takes as long as correcting money to come through, I think. To tell the truth though, I wouldn't be counting the cash yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

deemark wrote: »
    Are you a part-timer or teaching over 10 years? If so, you've a better chance of getting it, it's v difficult. Everyone gets a centre and they finish whenever their centre finishes - could be after 7, 10 or 15 days, you won't know until you're appointed. You'd want to get applying soon, I got my form last week and sent it off. Forms should be in schools now. Pay is decent, takes as long as correcting money to come through, I think. To tell the truth though, I wouldn't be counting the cash yet...

I'm part time, but I have a couple of years of experience and I have corrected in the past. Am I wasting my time applying really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Does anyone know roughly what kind of money I'd earn if I did get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

sitstill wrote: »
    Does anyone know roughly what kind of money I'd earn if I did get it?

It's very difficult to give an answer to that because it depends on three different factors:

1. Distance to and from your exam centre
    2. How many exams you supervise
    3. The length of time you're away from home each day.

1: You're paid travelling expenses at so-much per kilometre, so the farther you have to travel, the better. (This is tax free)
    2. You're paid a daily rate, so the more exams you have to supervise, the more you get paid.
    3. I can't quite remember the situation here, but I think if you're away for between 5-10 hours, you get a certain rate, if it's over 10 hours, you get a different amount - plus you get an allowance for food for the day.

Most people are sent fairly close to home so that expenses, daily rates, etc are kept to a minimum. However, if you get sent over a certain distance (I can't remember the figure 'cos it's never happened to me :( ) then you actually get an overnight allowance.

You get an initial €500 the day you collect the exam papers from the distribution centre. You then account for all the rest of your expenses - travel, daily rates, payment of your assistant and submit that at the end of your exam period. You then get paid around the end of July, begining of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Delphi91 wrote: »
    It's very difficult to give an answer to that because it depends on three different factors:

1. Distance to and from your exam centre
    2. How many exams you supervise
    3. The length of time you're away from home each day.

1: You're paid travelling expenses at so-much per kilometre, so the farther you have to travel, the better. (This is tax free)
    2. You're paid a daily rate, so the more exams you have to supervise, the more you get paid.
    3. I can't quite remember the situation here, but I think if you're away for between 5-10 hours, you get a certain rate, if it's over 10 hours, you get a different amount - plus you get an allowance for food for the day.

Most people are sent fairly close to home so that expenses, daily rates, etc are kept to a minimum. However, if you get sent over a certain distance (I can't remember the figure 'cos it's never happened to me :( ) then you actually get an overnight allowance.

You get an initial €500 the day you collect the exam papers from the distribution centre. You then account for all the rest of your expenses - travel, daily rates, payment of your assistant and submit that at the end of your exam period. You then get paid around the end of July, begining of August.

Hi, can you tell me where you can download a form to apply for the Exam SuperI positions please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

KateF wrote: »
    Hi, can you tell me where you can download a form to apply for the Exam SuperI positions please?

From this page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

'Examination Superintendant'? Is that the title given to supervisors? I was on the site looking for recruitment for supervisors - thought that sounded way too important to be supervisor :) Duh!

I am doing my dip at the mo but was considering applying for both supervising and correcting - am I really wasting my time? Would love the experience, and well of course the money will be handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Apply surely. You've a good chance of getting the correcting, which will make you an "assistant examiner", but get your ass in gear because the forms will be out soon. Doubt you'd get the superintending, but sure chance your arm anyway.

The experience of marking will really help your teaching and it'll go down v well in an interview. Be prepared to fully devote 3-4 weeks to it.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Can you correct papers if you are not a qualified teacher in that area? I'm a postgrad Primary student and I've a BSc in Psychology, are there any subjects i can correct?

Advertisement