Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground gaming developers.

Options
  • 04-11-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,been new to the current gaming scene . Just wondering is there any underground ,low budget gaming developers?
    Or is it all Blockbuster releases ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They need a publisher, which usually ends up being EA or Ubisoft or the likes, who push them till they release a shíte unfinished buggy version of what they intended. Then they push them again to re-release the same game all over again in a different skin, give you 2 new guns and call it a new game.

Check out Steam and Valve games. Once You have a game with the source engine, You can download loads of free mods and add ons for their games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Cheers ,I've got steam alright along with half life games.

I think I know what your talking about ,some of my downloads are half life source.

I've read also valve don't like dealing with sony and thats why EA published the orange box for the ps3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You should look into Introversion software.
    These guys are great, and they are one of the few companies out
    there that produce native Linux versions:)

Uplink, Darwinia, and Defcon and defcon are addictive masterpieces.
    Don't miss out, these indies devs are one of the best out there tbh.
    Totally underrated so they are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

311 wrote: »
    I've read also valve don't like dealing with sony and thats why EA published the orange box for the ps3.

Valve think that the PS3 is an awful machine so refused to do Half-life 2 for it. An in house EA team did the port.

There's quite a few japanese small time developers that publish budget games over there. Some of them make their way to budget labels in the west like gamestreet 505. Most of it is **** but there is the odd cracker like Global Defence Force / Earth Defence Force. Most small time developers need the financial backing of a big publisher or release their games for handhelds or as downloadable games like on steam, PSN or xboxlive.

Advertisement