Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFX - Anyone beaten Penance?

Options
  • 04-11-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Just wondering about Penance, looks impossible, like to know if anybody actually did it. Might give it a go, FFX was amazing, and my PS2 is awful lonely these days.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I gave up on final fantasy x, damn dark aoens ruined if for me. Couldn't go anywhere without those assholes turning up and obliterating my team. Would love to have had a go at Penance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Youll have to far spheres and level Yuna, Wakka and Tidus up alot.

Yuna use Magus Sisters and Anima (Or Yojibo if your cheap) and the other two have their super limit breaks.

Check out gamefaqs for details.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My advice: Don't bother.

I didn't beat penance, I have a life. I'd rather play a new game than bore myself with hours of grinding.

Agree with Almighty Cushion as well, the Dark Aeons really ruined the end game of the european version. It was impossible to do any of the side quests because dark aeons would block the path. I'm going to download the american version and play through that if I ever go back to it. No stupid dark aeons \o/ . I'll also get the bonus of the game running full speed without any borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I've beaten him, it is really satisfying.

Long story short is you need to fill every node on the sphere grid so that all your stats (sans luck) are 255 and you must have about 23,000 HP. Even with protect and 255 defence, he can deal 11,000+ damage to your whole party. Rikku is needed to cast hyper mighty guard and restore your party's HP in one turn (megalixers only restore 9999!). Never use aeons, even oblivion and delta attack do only about 100,000 and they give its arms a change to regenerate.

Lets put it this way, if you can't beat Dark magus sisters and Nemesis with ease, he's out of your league. You also need ribbon with all characters.

In the end, you need to be good at the game. He is the only boss in FF I've ever encountered where max stats don't make it an easy battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I did it one long boring summer when I was on holidays from college. It involved a lot of grinding and fighting the same battle arena bosses over and over again to get spheres to remodel the sphere grid. The most satisfying part for me was making my characters super-powerful. Very funny to see Yuna or Lulu KO most normal enemies with one hit for 99,999 damage and amazing to select Attack and watch Shiva taking out a large group of enemies in one turn with a series of consecutive spin kicks.

The battle with Penance itself was a bit boring I thought, it basically involves following a set sequence of actions to take for an hour or so until you finally wear away it's millions of HP so it ended up being just as repetitive as all the work it took to get to it in the first place. I wouldn't necessarily say I regret doing it but I wouldn't even consider doing it now that I'm working full time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Is Penance the last monster thats created when you collect enough of each monster for the arena?

If so Ive killed him.
    Easy way to do it is use Yojimbo.There is a certain thing he does (the sign is when he nods his head) and it automatically kills anything on screen.If I remember correctly you have to give him 666 or 6666 or 66666 coins and he will do it,it just depends.Can take ages or you can get it in your first go.
    If it doesnt work you are as well just restarting cos the time it takes is not worth it.Im pretty sure the reward is something crappy though.
    :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Is Penance the last monster thats created when you collect enough of each monster for the arena?

If so Ive killed him.
    Easy way to do it is use Yojimbo.There is a certain thing he does (the sign is when he nods his head) and it automatically kills anything on screen.If I remember correctly you have to give him 666 or 6666 or 66666 coins and he will do it,it just depends.Can take ages or you can get it in your first go.
    If it doesnt work you are as well just restarting cos the time it takes is not worth it.Im pretty sure the reward is something crappy though.
    :-/

No that's Nemisis. And using Yojimbo is a pretty crappy way to beat bosses....

Anyway I beat Penance aaaaaaaages ago. It involves fighting the same arena monsters again and again and again to get clear spheres and the various attribute +4 and hp+200 spheres. All the while levelling and going along the sphere grid and deleting ANY sphere that isn't +4/+200hp/+whatever the max mp is.

So then when you have all your stats to 255, except luck which should be at least 200 or you WON'T HIT PENANCE, and your HP at around 40,000 you're ready to go. It takes aaaaaaaaaaages but it's not toooo difficult if you have all the items you need. I don't remember exactly what those items are because I did it so long ago haha, but things that restore all your health and such. Also obviously you'll want Break HP Limit, Ribbon, Auto-Phoenix and Auto-haste on your armour. This is a bitch cause only dark aeons drop Ribbon armours, so it involves killing them over and over again till you get 3 clean ones.

Then in the fight you have to use the stat boosting skills first, 5 times each, auto-life and all that stuff. If I remember correctly there's items that can double your HP? And 1mp cost. Maybe they're Rikku specials I don't remember.

Also you pretty much need Wakka in your part. I just transfered my overdrive from Auron and Kimahri to him, and repeatedly used his over drive whenever I could. Tidus and Rikku are good too.

You get a good sense of accomplishment when you do do it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i beat him but i didnt do it with max stats. if i remember correctly its all about using healing waters. the file is on my mates memory card so i should go back and have a look at exactly what i had. my sphere grid was full tho, even the empty nodes.
    just keep his arms dead and you can beat him. i was using wakka, tidus & yuna. started the battle at 2am... finished at 4.
    hes still not the hardest boss in a square game imo...... i give that title to sephiroth in kingdom hearts. f**king cheap c*nt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Jazzy wrote: »
    i beat him but i didnt do it with max stats. if i remember correctly its all about using healing waters. the file is on my mates memory card so i should go back and have a look at exactly what i had. my sphere grid was full tho, even the empty nodes.
    just keep his arms dead and you can beat him. i was using wakka, tidus & yuna. started the battle at 2am... finished at 4.
    hes still not the hardest boss in a square game imo...... i give that title to sephiroth in kingdom hearts. f**king cheap c*nt
    sephiroth was easy in kingdom hearts! the thing about that game was that at the end you faced like 7 hard bosses in a row, without a break as long as you have good concentration then its grand
    its when you aren't conentrating you dont notice his teeny trends and start slipping up ;)

Advertisement