Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone yes or no

Options
  • 04-11-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My ipod nano is knackered my phone is knackered. Is it obvious that I should go for the iphone, i would not be using it for email as im not a big email user and use my laptop for the internet.

I would really love the ipod side of things with videos, should i mix in the phone?

Any views appreciated
    Thank You
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Well what would you use it for, mainly, and you'll probably get better advice?

No MMS, poor camera, no replaceable battery, on the list of cons. Good UI, good sync with MobileMe (and other Macs, if you use them), good web browser on the list of pros. That's before you start comparing tariffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Got my iPhone 3G a month after they came out (16gig) and am very happy with it.

I also did not think I would use it for the internet while at home since I have a laptop but there is a lot to be said for the 'instant online' experiance when you want to look something up in a hurry. Plus a lot of sites are iPhone friendly (like m.boards.ie) and fit the screen perfectly. And there are proper apps for using Facebook, Google, etc.

I must admit that I did bad-mouth apple for years in favour of my pc; and to this day I am still not a big fan of iTunes. Only it is a must for the iPhone backups, sync, etc.

It can be temperamental at times with its "smart technology" but overall I get more use out of it than any phone I have had previously (Nokia, Sony Ericsson).

If you have wi-fi at home then I would recommend it. I, like many others, had to turn off the 3G option as I like in an area with poor coverage which affected the performance of the phone. EDGE is fine for brief browsing on the go.

However if you text a lot then you need to learn how to live without being able to forward messages and not being able to send or receive photo messages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Definite YES!

Brilliant phone...like all phones it has some drawbacks but the PROS definitely outweigh the CONS. Best phone I have ever owned, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

acman wrote: »
    Definite YES!

Brilliant phone...like all phones it has some drawbacks but the PROS definitely outweigh the CONS. Best phone I have ever owned, period.

Same here. Just upgraded recently from the iPhone to the 3G model too... something I've never done with a phone before. Amazing device... plenty of cons, but far more pros.

If you can, buy online apple-unlocked so you don't have to deal with the ridiculous tariffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Barack Obama approves the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

cgarvey wrote: »
    Well what would you use it for, mainly, and you'll probably get better advice?

No MMS, poor camera, no replaceable battery, on the list of cons. Good UI, good sync with MobileMe (and other Macs, if you use them), good web browser on the list of pros. That's before you start comparing tariffs!

battery replacement is on
    http://www.twnkeys.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=53772&cat=12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I suppose you have to ask yourself, would you seriously consider buying an iTouch as a replacement for your nano? If you would, or have used an iTouch before, then I'd say you'd like the iPhone a lot.

I would however recommend using an iPhone in-store before buying one, as you may in fact not like touching a screen all day in order to use it. As the above users have mentioned the pros and cons, it all depends on what you'd use it for at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

I lost my iPhone Friday night...

If you were in as much grief and pain as I am now you wouldn't get an iPhone...

But if your a very careful person then get one because once you don't lose it your gonna be well happy!!

Plus your added to a unique bunch of people...Great for showing off in the pub etc....

I used to be part of the unique group ah I miss it so much....

May it be in a happier place is all I can say....:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Rob_l wrote: »

Doesn't that void the warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

rvd156 wrote: »
    I lost my iPhone Friday night... ...Great for showing off in the pub etc....
    Which is why I have an iPhone and a drinking phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Dades wrote: »
    Which is why I have an iPhone and a drinking phone!

I wish I had a phone for each...Just hug your iPhone and make sure it knows how much you love it....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

yes if it was 300 euro and sim free..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

no.

no with those O2 billpay priceplans
    no with the price on o2 prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Doesn't that void the warranty?

If thats your worry you can also have it sent to apple to have a battery refit and I would presume because it was done by apple your warranty would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

rvd156 wrote: »
    I lost my iPhone Friday night...

If you were in as much grief and pain as I am now you wouldn't get an iPhone...

But if your a very careful person then get one because once you don't lose it your gonna be well happy!!

Plus your added to a unique bunch of people...Great for showing off in the pub etc....

I used to be part of the unique group ah I miss it so much....

May it be in a happier place is all I can say....:(:(

It's got a lot going for it but please tell me the "unique group of people" thing was said with tongue firmly in-cheek. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

n95 is a hundred billion million zillion times better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

Got mine a week ago it's the biggest pile of s@ite if have ever bought, the price plans are a rip off, the coverage is terrible (compared to a 6 year old nokia 8310 on the o2 network) haven't made a quality call since i got it, if i plug it into my Bose docking station I have to put it on airplane mode (and it does not charge on it), before it plays music, so save your money and buy an itouch (which is fantastic by the way) and a sony phone.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The iPhone camera is worthess in comparison to many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

liamtinney wrote: »
    if i plug it into my Bose docking station I have to put it on airplane mode (and it does not charge on it), before it plays music,

No you don't. It only asks u if you want to, as there may be interference. But you dont have to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i'm going to say no, while i like and use apple computers a normal phone would be a better investment...i've gone from nokia e65 to LG Viewty to iPhone and now i've a nokia e71..... the iphone has been the coolest gadget but the rest were all better phones with better features......once the gadgetry of the iphone wore off, I was soon longing for a decent phone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The iPhone is mainly a MP3/Video/Internet browser and a phone 2nd as far as I can see. Does any other phone have as good a browser? I find I can't use other touch screens but the iPhone one I have no problem with. That said I don't have one and prefer a phone with buttons.

Advertisement