Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem starting a Golf

Options
  • 04-11-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with my 97 Golf. It takes 2-4 goes before it starts. It always starts eventually. If it has been running a while, then stopped, it'll start immediately.
    I had the same problem last year, and dropped it into the garage to tune up some stuff. I didn't mention it to the garage, but they fixed it with some of the regular maintenance they did.
    I'm gonna drop it in somewhere, but is there a anything worth trying first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have your temperature sender checked - it might be the problem. You may also be suffering from condensation in the distributor cap. Remove it and wipe it clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Cheers. I was looking at a Haynes manual to see how to remove the distibutor cap. It has instructions on how to remove the distributor completely, but not just the cap. It has a lot of instructions on disconnecting the spark plugs and putting the engine to TDC on cylinder 1. Is this needed for just removing the cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

You can check if all your spark plugs are working by connecting a wire(clothes hanger) from the positive of the battery to each spark plug. If each plug is working properly, you'll get a spark when you rub it with the wire.

There is no other work needed to remove the distributor cap. Just remove the clips and the cap should come off. Wipe it with a cloth as water/dirt could have gone in there which would affect the starting of the car. Check there is no hole in the cap which can happen after a number of years. If so it will need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

My sister has an 06 Opel Astra 1.4 with the exact same symptoms as the OP.
    Sometimes it will take a few turns to start the car. If its been running for a bit, then it will start first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

ongarite wrote: »
    My sister has an 06 Opel Astra 1.4 with the exact same symptoms as the OP.
    Sometimes it will take a few turns to start the car. If its been running for a bit, then it will start first time.

Again check the spark plugs and that there is no water/dirt in the distributor cap. Report back if them two are ok

• Advertisement
Advertisement