Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pub and Club mega-thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

frobisher wrote: »
    It's that time of year where a pint by a fire is as good an idea as I can think of!! But what boozers have them still?

Neary's on Chatham St. back bar and upstairs. Not often that the fire's lit downstairs but it is upstairs.Good pub. Solid crowd.

Or for the creme de la creme of fine imbibing go to the upstairs bar in The Central Hotel. It's on the corner of George's St. and Exchequer St. The entrance is on Exchequer St. A stone's throw from The Globe. Walk through the foyer, hang a left, straight up the stairs, turn left again and before you sits one of Dublin's finest bars. Beautiful and relaxed. It's a regular haunt of mine. You'll like it a lot. I always feel like Hemmingway when I'm there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I must disagree on the Library Bar in the Central Hotel. Very expensive, but the toilets are not clean.

Last time I was there, there was no toilet paper in the women's toilets, but a reek of aging sanitary towels was present and correct.

The staff are lovely, but racing around the place, overworked and baffled. A pot (tiny, steel, tea-bag) of tea costs something like €3.50; if you ask for an accompanying pot of boiling water, they stare in amazement, and then give you a *half-full* one.

On the other hand, the furniture is *absolutely beautiful*, and there's a toasty, lovely fire.

I kinda operate on beer currency and at 4.50 for stout it isn't off the wall barmy. Drop of Jemmy, seperate glass of tap water, pint of Guinness-a tenner. The staff can be a bit way ward especially during the day but they can buck up when evening rolls in.
    I have no opinion on the ladies loos. The Gents are always tip top. I'd even go as far as to say that I have been known to 'bake one' until I reached The Central where I could evacuate myself in some degree of comfort. Then warm the toes on the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

humberklog wrote: »
    Or for the creme de la creme of fine imbibing go to the upstairs bar in The Central Hotel. It's on the corner of George's St. and Exchequer St.

Fixed that for you. :)

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. :)
    Perfect. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

luckat wrote: »
    Last time I was there, there was no toilet paper in the women's toilets, but a reek of aging sanitary towels was present and correct.

Lets be honest, the best pubs are the ones that grudgingly started admitting women in the 60s. They probably still keep the mna jacks manky in protest. :pac:

Seriously though, The Central is a lovely spot. Don't go there half as much as I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

the longstone on townsend street has a beautiful fire and a fun atmosphere....hmmmmi havent been there in a very long time...i know where im headed after work on Friday!! :)

you can have a look here http://www.thelongstone.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

stovelid wrote: »
    Lets be honest, the best pubs are the ones that grudgingly started admitting women in the 60s. They probably still keep the mna jacks manky in protest. :pac:

Seriously though, The Central is a lovely spot. Don't go there half as much as I should.

Mm. I don't know. Anywhere with iffy hygiene in the jacks doesn't inspire confidence in me in relation to its hygiene elsewhere. And the prices are just too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JM434

Rios on Leesons Street, Is there any specific dresscode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

JM434 wrote: »

yea, dress like a twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

yea, dress like a twat.
    Chucky, if you've nothing constructive or informative to add, please feel free to move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Ooops pointless... delete me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

poker_face wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good pub around town that regularly has a mixed international crowd in it? Where is good on Wednesday & Thursday nights?
    Thanks

Hogan's on Georges Street. A lot of Spanish and French there

frobisher wrote: »
    It's that time of year where a pint by a fire is as good an idea as I can think of!! But what boozers have them still?

Whelan's on Wexford Street has a roaring fire going most nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 safrodite

Mixed international crowd is to be found in the Pravda, after crossing the half-penny bridge walking towards Henry street! Haven't been there in a while but I hear it's still good craic on the weekends!!

Anybody knows a good black music nightclub in town, that is not only frequented by twats and slappers but people who really enjoy the music and like dancing to it?!

Gracias ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

LA3G wrote: »
    Is there anywhere decent in town that has a drinks promotion running on Wednesdays?

captatin americas have a great deal on monday - wednesdays... its all pints 3 euro and some cocktails 3 euro... plus on wednesdays they have karaoke.An idea that might not sound appealing but you get a free drink if you do it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

safrodite wrote: »
    Mixed international crowd is to be found in the Pravda, after crossing the half-penny bridge walking towards Henry street!
    Pravda is in Liffey Street Lower. I find it a bit odd that you assume that anyone going there is coming from south of the Liffey! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 safrodite

Pravda is in Liffey Street Lower. I find it a bit odd that you assume that anyone going there is coming from south of the Liffey! :confused:

lol You're right, sorry! Didn't know how else to explain how to get there ;-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

JM434 wrote: »

shirt shoes, pushing big time for older crowd, any big parties being planned i can put in in contact with marketing manager, will sort out some great deals for you re drink and free in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

safrodite wrote: »
    Mixed international crowd is to be found in the Pravda
    An overpriced pretentious dump frequented by trinity yah heads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Degsy wrote: »

standard pricing, very mixed crowd, huge foreign contingent imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

hey everyone! this is my first time in here :O
    Im in killester meself :)
    hower things?

Reasonably priced, clean place that promotes new live international and home grown music (for free) like no ther venue at present, full to the brim of a universal crowd(brazilian to malayan) of many walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Haven't been back to Dublin in many years but I think the first city centre bar I would repair to for a few quiet drinks and the unmatchable atmosphere would be none other than Grogans.

*Wistfully thinks of all the good times had there...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

dSTAR wrote: »
    Haven't been back to Dublin in many years but I think the first city centre bar I would repair to for a few quiet drinks and the unmatchable atmosphere would be none other than Grogans.

*Wistfully thinks of all the good times had there...

grogans is brilliant. Love it, it's gotten fairly expensive though. 460 guinness.

It also stinks since the smoking ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone recommend a bar which looks after the designated driver with reduced prices, freebies etc?.

Mairt is off the gargle for a few weeks :(

Mairt wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a bar which looks after the designated driver with reduced prices, freebies etc?.

I thought something caught in my periphoral vision when I was in 'The hole in the wall' the other day. Now it coulda been an advertising regarding not to drink and drive over chrimbo but it could have been to promote a designated driver scheme. It didn't get my full attention but it could be worth a phone call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Mairt wrote: »

Shiite!!I was in somewhere within the last week that was advertising that very thing!
    It was either O'neills in pearse st,O'Neills in suffolk st,Quinns in drumcondra,Kehoes in South Annes St or Porterhouse in Nassau st..
    Sorry i cant be more specific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Shiite!!I was in somewhere within the last week that was advertising that very thing!
    It was either O'neills in pearse st,O'Neills in suffolk st,Quinns in drumcondra,Kehoes in South Annes St or Porterhouse in Nassau st..
    Sorry i cant be more specific.

Mmmm.. PM'ing you the number of my councillor Mr.Degsy!.

Advertisement