Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pub and Club mega-thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

The Baggot Inn on Baggot Street has a free soft drink or something for the designated driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

jdivision wrote: »
    It also stinks since the smoking ban.
    Obviously being a smoker you are immune to other people's smoke that is sometimes so heavy it hurts your eyes and makes you wheeze, turns the place into one big ashtray with some idiots leaning over your drink and missing the ashtray and tipping ash into your drink and leaving your clothes and hair reeking so bad of smoke that you need to have a shower and chuck your clothes in the laundry when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

Mairt wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a bar which looks after the designated driver with reduced prices, freebies etc?.

Mairt is off the gargle for a few weeks :(
    Woolshed on Parnell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

dSTAR wrote: »
    Obviously being a smoker you are immune to other people's smoke that is sometimes so heavy it hurts your eyes and makes you wheeze, turns the place into one big ashtray with some idiots leaning over your drink and missing the ashtray and tipping ash into your drink and leaving your clothes and hair reeking so bad of smoke that you need to have a shower and chuck your clothes in the laundry when you get home.

Eh I don't smoke so at least have some basis for your argument. Have you been in the pub? The smell from the carpet is putrid. The smell from the Guinness drinkers even worse. I like Grogan's but think that it's possibly the only case where the smoking ban has made a pub worse.

Mairt wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a bar which looks after the designated driver with reduced prices, freebies etc?.
    Toner's. They have the sign advertising it hidden in the snug though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Does anyone drink in the Castle Pub in Summerhill? I'm meeting a couple of my old friends who are just back in the country there tomorrow. Is it a decent pub? Just wondering as I'll probably end up spending the day/night there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thread merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CSC wrote: »
    Does anyone drink in the Castle Pub in Summerhill? I'm meeting a couple of my old friends who are just back in the country there tomorrow. Is it a decent pub? Just wondering as I'll probably end up spending the day/night there.
    I'm not familiar with a pub by that name in Summerhill. :confused: Is it known by another name?

There is a Castle pub in Lord Edward Street and in Finglas (beside the M50).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

That's the name I have been given. Apparently it is located at the junction of the North Circular Road/Summerhill Road on the Cusak Stand side of Croke Park. I have the number as well if I get stuck getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

standard pricing, very mixed crowd, huge foreign contingent imo

G'way outta that!!!

Drinks go up after certain times in there, mixed crowd? It's too crowded to get past in the first place... Plenty of better places you can spend your money. Oh, and throw in hassle from scumbags, and as many beggars as you want waiting outside for you.
    Degsy wrote: »
    Shiite!!I was in somewhere within the last week that was advertising that very thing!
    It was either O'neills in pearse st,O'Neills in suffolk st,Quinns in drumcondra,Kehoes in South Annes St or Porterhouse in Nassau st..
    Sorry i cant be more specific.
    I think a lot more places are doing it these days - I've heard advertisments for the 'Coca Cola Family' on the radio promoting free soft drinks for drivers. I'm nearly positive Quinns do it (My only time in there, I swear!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That's the name I have been given. Apparently it is located at the junction of the North Circular Road/Summerhill Road on the Cusak Stand side of Croke Park. I have the number as well if I get stuck getting there.

Although I haven't been in there, and some might say its in a pretty rough part of town, but it looks grand. No scummer's hanging around the door way, looks warm and comfy from the road at least.

I've drank in lots of inner city pubs, and whilst the crowd can look a bit rough, usually their great boozers, not full of pretentious A-holes and 'real' ;) Dub's don't tolerate a bad pint.

I'd be interested in reading your review of the place after your visit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fajitas! wrote: »
    G'way outta that!!!

Drinks go up after certain times in there, mixed crowd? It's too crowded to get past in the first place... Plenty of better places you can spend your money. Oh, and throw in hassle from scumbags, and as many beggars as you want waiting outside for you.

ah I dunno, I have gone there mid week a few times, always had a good time, hasntr been too mbusy, and lovely eye candy :P

I'll handle a complete lack of eye candy if I can...

a) order a beer for under 6/7 quid (I think it's the only place I've ever been charged 5.70 for a Guiness...)

b) not have to shout over the music to have any form of conversation

c) actually find someplace comfortable to stand/sit and chat - The place has is full of through-ways, meaning there's always someone pushing past you...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't miss it. It's on the right just before where Summerhill meets the NCR (coming from town).
    It looks nice from the outside.
    It is allegedly owned by a 'local prominent businessman'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'll handle a complete lack of eye candy if I can...

a) order a beer for under 6/7 quid (I think it's the only place I've ever been charged 5.70 for a Guiness...)

b) not have to shout over the music to have any form of conversation

c) actually find someplace comfortable to stand/sit and chat - The place has is full of through-ways, meaning there's always someone pushing past you...

well some nice ass wins out for me all the time lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was charged 4.60 only 3 week ago.
    The tottyometre was of the scale!

to be honest i dont really know pint prices, I get rather tanked before hand and buy a pint or two inside to look socialable really

humberklog wrote: »
    I was charged 4.60 only 3 week ago.
    The tottyometre was of the scale!

Ah, but what time?

As I said, the prices go up in there.

Only reason I remembered the price is I kept the receipt for the next day to show & shock a few friends of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Anyone know a place in Dublin tonight that plays indie/dance mixed - like rock songs remixed etc?

If not I may try that new place Twisted Pepper (anyone been?) Nathan Fake is on tonight ive heard a bit of his stuff.

Anyone know what twisted Pepper is like? Is it big? Does it have differnet music on different floors (is there more than 1 floor?) Couldnt be bothered with Whelans/Dorans and that crap anymore, wanna be actually able to dance.

Was in Le Cirq bar on Dame Street last night, was alright if your into Jazzy type music. Older crowd in there to.

Anyone know a place in Dublin tonight that plays indie/dance mixed - like rock songs remixed etc?

crawdaddy is as close ya'd get i thinks

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    You can't miss it. It's on the right just before where Summerhill meets the NCR (coming from town).
    It looks nice from the outside.
    It is allegedly owned by a 'local prominent businessman'.

Haven't been inside either but it looks nice. A few on duty cops drink there on match days though:rolleyes: Friends were there at last irish match and they closed part of the pub to allow the guards have a few before the match started.

Ah, but what time?

As I said, the prices go up in there.

Only reason I remembered the price is I kept the receipt for the next day to show & shock a few friends of mine.

It was early afternoon. Midweek.
    I don't like hefty prices and places that're too jammed either. I've only been to Pravda recently during the week over the last year and half. I've enjoyed the live bands and its general music policy and have never found it too packed. But as I said I've only been there mid-week during the last while. Maybe it's different at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Arlington Hotel, any reviews/opinions?.

I've got a Christmas party to go to next week.

Any recent visits to the place guys?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

All this talk of drinking is putting a thirst on me.We should have a Dublin Forum meetup and hit a few different pubs!

Sounds like a magnificent plan.

Parched! Good idea. I'm in (more than likely).

Popped into The Castle on Summerhill for a look/see. I'd passed it over the last few weeks and was curious. It's smartly done up, nice pint and coming in at 4.20 not too hectic on the wallet.
    I noticed a sign up advertising a dj playing on the 21st and with that a Happy Hour between 8 and 9. I thought that this may be illegal to advertise but on a quick scan of the drinkers and servers I decided that this wasn't the first law that any and all of this lot would have broken and nor would it be the last. The clientle are clean, young and quiet...not unlike their white lexus parked half on the path half on the road outside the boozer. Blue WKD is the order of the day with the punters here (it must be good for washing down Wharleyburgers and curry chips). It must also be the fuel of choice for Olympic Standard text messaging as each one of these Beaker heads were busy at it.

It's a nice pub but maybe better left to those with acne, long vowels, pristine white runners and short attention spans. DJ could be good though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 puppydoggrowl

Hey folks,
    So, me and my friend are having a joint birthday session tonight in dublin and im looking for any suggestions about where we could go clubbing?If I end up in Coppers again I think I just might kill myself!!!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Go to Coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

+1 for Coppers but don't kill yourself. Just score some easy nurse.

Or take in a show at the National Concert Hall. A bit of culture never went astray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The George

Advertisement