Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pub and Club mega-thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

daveldol1 wrote: »
    Folks,

I have just retuined to Dublin. When I was here before I used to go to Sachs Nightclub. There were always more mature women there. Sachs seems to be closed now. Where do women over 40 go for a night out theses days?
    Bojangles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I got molestered several times one Saturday in the Arlington, it was crawling with oul ones.

tbh I only saw one 40 plus woman in the place worth a belt, and unfortunately she wasnt one of the ones who slapped my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 epkdub09

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Bojangles?

Isn't Bojangles for those in their 30s? ;)

epkdub09 wrote: »
    Isn't Bojangles for those in their 30s? ;)
    Meh.... the last time i went in(had to go through Jangles to get into Dicey's) the folks there looked 100 :D

Nah, i thought they looked 40's/50's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 epkdub09

ROFL! Sorry to hear. :p Could be the light... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

daveldol1 wrote: »
    Folks,

I have just retuined to Dublin. When I was here before I used to go to Sachs Nightclub. There were always more mature women there. Sachs seems to be closed now. Where do women over 40 go for a night out theses days?

Bojangles under Dicey Riley's for definite...but don't go there before midnight...and I find it helps not to be completely sober ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

There is no best pub or club in Dublin because it has enough people and pubs for different groups to frequent different spots, as opposed to smaller country towns where they all just go down the local or what have you.

As a Trinity student I quite like Doyles, music is good and if you go there during the week you might actually get to sit down and have a chat (though you're still competing with the music, it's not as bad as a nighclub). All the rockers seem to love Fibbers, I can't stand it though. These days I'm preferring pubs to clubs, it's better to have a chat with friends over a few drinks than to go out dancing (especially since I'm on the ol' ball and chain). The major downfall of pubs though is that they never offer drinks promos, which means that they're just too expensive for students to go out for a proper night's drinking save on occasion. Cheapest night out in Dublin is probably CitiBar on Tuesdays, pity it's absolutely crap. And of course it all depends on how much you plan on drinking.

Hate people talking about how great Coppers is, it'll be two long years before I experience it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

, it'll be two long years before I experience it :(

Lucky you to be honest.

Hate people talking about how great Coppers is, it'll be two long years before I experience it :(

Fibbers is a kip! Coppers rock!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Eugh. Coppers is a disgusting little hole. It smells like manure, has a horrible athmosphere and gets the general "run as fast as you can away from this dump" vibe down to a T. The only reason I'm thankful for it is it keeps it's usual clientelle in there, and not where I'd rather have a few pints.

And no, I'm not saying Fibbers is any better. Replace manure with fresh human faeces and sweat, and bingo, you can apply that discription to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hahacoppers is love hate..along the lines of...if your pissed you'll love it...sober you'll hate it

Everyone claims they hate coppers yet it's the only place that can pull a full house on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays..... talk about negative marketing!

Everyone claims they hate coppers yet it's the only place that can pull a full house on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays..... talk about negative marketing!
    Hmmm... are there drinks promos there? Because CitiBar is similar, always full (of students) on Tuesdays even though they all say they hate it... in fairness CB is a crap club it's just the cheapest night out on Tuesdays with €2 drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

coppers dont do any drink promos, but just shows how popular it is that it is packed every night of the week.even students with little cash go all the time.when i was in college we were there most weeks on tuesdays or thursdays. lately its more popular than ever.the queues in the past while have been crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hmmm... are there drinks promos there? Because CitiBar is similar, always full (of students) on Tuesdays even though they all say they hate it... in fairness CB is a crap club it's just the cheapest night out on Tuesdays with €2 drinks.

Is CitiBar that bad? Was planning on heading there on Tuesday.

Is CitiBar that bad? Was planning on heading there on Tuesday.
    Wouldn't wanna put anyone off going anywhere, go there and see for yourself. Of course, any night can be a good night if you make it good. Maybe we were all just sick of the place after going there every Tuesday for a year. Its main problem is that it's very small and can get very crowded.

Wouldn't wanna put anyone off going anywhere, go there and see for yourself. Of course, any night can be a good night if you make it good. Maybe we were all just sick of the place after going there every Tuesday for a year. Its main problem is that it's very small and can get very crowded.

Well I've never been there before so just looking for a change of wallpaper, and the €2 drinks is a bonus.:D Is it €2 on all drinks ye? And a tenner in?

Strict on id?

How old are you? The last time i was in Citibar(2/3 months ago) on a Tuesday it was good music but everyone there looked 16.... I felt really old and i am 23!

How old are you? The last time i was in Citibar(2/3 months ago) on a Tuesday it was good music but everyone there looked 16.... I felt really old and i am 23!

Turned 18 just under 3 months ago, most of my mates are 18 less than half a year aswell, so we're a young bunch. Do they accept driving licenses as id?

They do, never thought they were strict on id(carry one just incase) it's over 18 as far as i can remember.

• Advertisement

Depends on the bouncers. Before I turned 18 I'd usually get in without being ID'd at all, but then one time I showed a fake ID which had gotten past several bouncers, and it was confiscated. Though that was probably because I was wearing runners and not shoes. Definitely don't dress like a scanger.

Yeah, tenner in, €2 all drinks. Of course doubles will be €4 etc.

Depends on the bouncers. Before I turned 18 I'd usually get in without being ID'd at all, but then one time I showed a fake ID which had gotten past several bouncers, and it was confiscated. Though that was probably because I was wearing runners and not shoes. Definitely don't dress like a scanger.

Yeah, tenner in, €2 all drinks. Of course doubles will be €4 etc.

Letting a bouncer confiscate your ID, bad move, tis illegal on their part.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Not if it was a fake I would imagine.

CSC wrote: »
    Not if it was a fake I would imagine.

I'm nearly 100% they can't, fake or not. They can contact the guards but you don't have to wait around as you're not on their premises.

Why do they charge a tenner? The last time we were there we got there @ 7pm and some people from the group went out to get pizza they were gone for 45min tops and the bouncers made them pay a fiver to get in again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

Letting a bouncer confiscate your ID, bad move, tis illegal on their part.;)

a bouncer is not allowed to "confiscate" things

i saw a bouncer once confiscate some guys hash when he caught him rolling a spliff

they have no right to do this kind of stuff

door people are paid to control the entrance,not confiscate property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

What is Gibneys like in Malahide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My old mate's girlfriend, who was from Malahide, always called it Gibs in an excruciating D4 accent.

I vowed never, ever to go there as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I could never 'go' it myself - a woefully pretentious spot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭golum

Haven't ever gone out drinking in Dublin on 1 Jan, at least not that I can recall. But anyway I took it pretty easy last night and am planning to make up for that today. The thing is I'm not sure what is open today- do most places tend to close? Anyway I would appreciate any ideas if anybody knows of anything on, or even which good pubs are likely to be open. Ideally "good" would mean at least some of the following; city centre location, good booze, dark interior, no skangers, and hopefully a scattering of pretty girls. Or is that asking too much?

Advertisement